• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copious quantities of egg whites

chromedome

• 3 years later...

Ahhhh, egg whites. I have a half gallon of egg whites left over from making lemon bars for a fundraiser bake sale this Saturday, Dec. 10th. I am brain dead. Can you please help me think of something that I can use them for that I can sell at this bake sale? I live in a rural community that is very conservative in its food tastes. For instance, one day I made croque madames for the farmers for lunch, and a couple days later I heard in town that I was trying to kill them with my weird scary food. Anything with a name like dacquoise would certainly be met with enough cynicism that I would sell exactly zero of them. Maybe I could make it if I called it "biscuit cake"...

Any traditional ideas besides angel food cake?

Coconut macaroons - here is the recipe I use. Don't bother preheating the oven at the beginning because you leave the dough in the fridge overnight first.

Kerry! This is perfect, I have lots of condensed milk and coconut. Thank you. You don't by chance know the target end temperature for the cooked mixture in the recipe you use, do you? They will like these.

So I think this will take care of a pint of the whites, any other ideas?

Kerry! This is perfect, I have lots of condensed milk and coconut. Thank you. You don't by chance know the target end temperature for the cooked mixture in the recipe you use, do you? They will like these.

So I think this will take care of a pint of the whites, any other ideas?

I make multiple batches of these in a large glass bowl or 8 cup measuring bowl in the microwave - and cook a minute at a time until they thicken - never took the temperature.

Here's my adaptation by weight

Coconut Macaroons Large Batch

575 grams coconut

600 grams sugar

1 can condensed milk

1 tbsp vanilla

1 tbsp almond extract

1 tsp salt

510 grams egg white

100 grams flour

1. Mix all ingredients. Split into 2 8 cup pyrex measures. Cook in microwave for several minutes each, stirring each minute until separates from sides of bowl. Cool overnight.

2. Bake at 300 F for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.

individual meringues aka 'cloud cookies'

thanks, Kouign Aman, for jogging my memory.

I tasted Alice Medrich's peanut butter clouds at a demo, and I thought they were great. A recipe is available online. The version I tried only had peanut butter and chopped peanuts in them, no hazelnuts/almonds or chocolate. This is a recipe for a more extravagant version of the cookie, though it will still taste good with less.

http://alicemedrich.blogspot.com/2010/09/national-homemade-cookie-day.html

Edited by djyee100 (log)

I'm very partial to doing french macarons if you have all that egg whites. Usually these days i'm trying to figure out what to do with the left over yolks after making macarons. I found a french butter cream recipe that utilizes the egg yolks so im doing that. But yea, macarons, meringue, souffle would be the route i go. Baked alaska also - if your doing a restaurant setting maybe you could do some composed plate with a bar of ice cream and then torch the meringue ala minute.

Thanks, piracer, I immediately thought macarons when I found I had so many whites. But then I remembered where I live. I've made them here before and I have not been able to interest one person in them. They are too unfamiliar and suspect. I think that's why my brain was stuck, I wanted to make macarons and I knew they wouldn't sell, but I still wanted to make them.

Thanks, Kerry, for all the weights. That really helps me. I'm making the dough tonight and I'll finish the macaroons tomorrow.

Also, cloud cookies! Perfect! Thanks.

Agreed, its all about the naming perhaps? Also the filling, do something familiar such as a chocolate ganache and just call them a sophisticated whoopie pie or sandwiched meringue cookies. If not how about cocoa shells with a vanilla cream - a grown up oreo?

Some one upthread mentioned Pavlova and that is a darned good thing to have around our parts for Christmas as it is summer,but do try a Pavlova Roulade sometime. Whipped up in 5 minutes and cooked for 10/15, cooled for another 10 before filling with cream and berries or whatever, roll and done. You can have an exquisite, soft meringuey dessert in 1/2 an hour.