• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Slow Food Movement

Slow Food is a growing movement in Europe and particularly in Itlay where it started. It is also growing here in the U.S. Given your interests and expertise in health, nutrition and food safety, how do you view the movement and do you see it having any lasting impact?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Oh, I hope it has a lasting impact. I think it is a brilliant idea and one that is necessary as we lose more and more varieities to commercializaiton.

One of the stories that I am proudest of is the one I did a couple of years ago at Thanksgiving about heritage turkeys that Slow Foods is trying to save, helping to increase sales of them dramatically.

Last year and this past Thanksgiving we had heritage turkeys for the holiday. You can't imagine how much better they are, even though they are expensive.

I am a proud, card carrying member of Slow Food, and one of the best (funniest)solicitations for money was regarding the Heritage Turkeys. The gist of the letter was "we have saved these turkeys from extinction...and they are very tasty too." I completely agree with the concept of Slow Food, but they may want to 'adjust' thier sales pitch!

Last year and this past Thanksgiving we had heritage turkeys for the holiday. You can't imagine how much better they are, even though they are expensive.

Fortunately, I can imagine it because I've had them too. :smile: They are indeed wonderful.

Do you have any thoughts as to how the Slow Food Movement can gain more momentum in this country?

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Methinks that there would be much more money to fight it if it became more of a mainstream voice.

Twitter - @docsconz

Methinks that there would be much more money to fight it if it became more of a mainstream voice.

What do you mean when you say money to fight it? Do you mean fight the mainstream mentality? Do you mean fight the quantity over quality mentality? Does anyone know if Slow Food partners with the Green Market group? That's certainly going more and more mainstream and would give Slow Food more exposure.

I am sorry that I was not clear.

What I mean is that if Slowfood becomes much more successful inachieving its goals which are antithetical to those of big agribusiness, big agribusiness will start pumping in a lot of money to fight Slowfood and all it represents. I do not think that will be a good thing. Big agribusiness is big business and it has a lot of money and political clout behind it. This does not mean that I think Slowfood shouldn't continue to do what it is doing. I am an ardent supporter of the organization and the movement and truly hope that it continues to make a bigger and bigger impact because I do believe that it is important for the future quality of life on this planet.

Twitter - @docsconz

In all of this I think you have to remember that the people who are interested in slow food, in locally grown food, in the best of everything belong to a very small, select group. Some would say elitist. Whatever it is, in this world it will never be big business . Once big business takes it loses what makes it precious right now.

They are doing that with organics and while it is certainly better for the earth and for us, it is putting small organic farmers out of business and twisting waht organic is supposed to mean.

That's why I said when I have to make a choice between organic across the globe or local but not organic, I'll choose local

It is often very difficult (and expensive) for a small farm doing everything in an organic fashion to get an official "Organic" designation. this is one major problem with the term. All else being equal, I prefer supporting local quality over distant quality, but overall I like to support quality over non-quality no matter where it is from.

I like the slogan.

Twitter - @docsconz

It is often very difficult (and expensive) for a small farm doing everything in an organic fashion to get an official "Organic" designation.

Why? What's involved?

Michael aka "Pan"