• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best dish in the Triangle

polishjj

Panzanella is OK, but they can be inconsistent, both in food and service. Service ranges from friendly and competent to surly and inept. Especially if you bring kids, which one would expect would be welcome in a restaurant owned by a food co-op. (It is owned by Weaver Street) Some of the wait-staff act like they have never seen a child before and get visibly flusstered when they see them at the table. Sometimes they clear your plate before you are finished eating if you aren't on guard. The breads are great, if you come earlier in the day you can watch them bake. The pizzas are tasty. They have several selections usually for vegans. They also have several nice fish selections. Inconsistency is the key though. I have ordered the mahi-mahi and it was cooked to perfection and then the next time it is overcooked. The menu changes frequently.

I would definitely second Challah-Baker's assessment of Panzanella. I have eaten there twice--the first time I had duck and it was awful. Poorly cooked, overly greasey and the flavor of the duck just wasn't well brought out or complimented. (Give me Nana's duck any day over that!) The second time I had a roasted chicken dish and that was much better, but I'm not dying to make the drive from Raleigh to eat there again.

Margaret's Cantina in Timberlyne is one of my favorite places peroid to go for Southwestern food. The also have excellent margaritas--better than other ones I've had in the Triangle. I'd recomment the pulled beef or spiced cheese enchiladas, pulled beef or tempeh burritos. Also, Carrburritos not faraway has excellent salsa and fresh-made flour chips.

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

I love Sawasdee Thai Restaurant off Capital Boulevard in Raleigh. The pad khing chicken is wonderful --- the vegetables are fresh, and the sauce has a crisp, bright, hot flavor. I'd tell you how the other dishes are, but I love the pad khing chicken so much, I haven't been able to bring myself to try something else.

Daniel's Pizza Pasta Cafe in Apex is very nice, too. I generally go for the shrimp fra diavolo. The seafood fra diavolo has mussels, shrimp, and calamari done just right --- not rubbery. If you like it hot, though, you need to ask for them to make it hot. (Apparently this is a backlash to a bunch of patrons complaining that their shrimp fra diavolo was too hot.) I love their decadent brownie for dessert --- a rich brownie, with chocolate chips, and ganache, with a white chocolate swirl, served on a rich chocolate sauce. You wouldn't go here for the atmosphere --- but it's a nice place to take the family and eat very well. Don't be surprised to see a line out the door.

Another favorite place is Babymoon Cafe in RTP. I haven't had anything there that I didn't like. One of my favorites is the Italian Quesadilla appetizer (with Andouille sausage, chicken, roasted peppers, caramelized onions and mozzarella). It's made a little bit differently every time I've been there, but it's always good.

Oh, that reminds me, in RTP Bombay Grille is another one of my favorites. I haven't found any REALLY spectacular Indian food in the Triangle (any one know of any?) but my Indian-American best friend says it's the closest to her mother's cooking that she's found around here.

A couple of years ago I had a good meal at Pasta Bella near South Point. I'm not sure if it's survived the opening of nearby Maggiano's. Plus they were selling fresh pasta by the pound as well.

Also is Rockford in Raleigh still open? I had trouble finding it a few weeks ago.

Thanks,

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Rockford was there a month ago when I had lunch. But it IS hard to find if you're not sure of the exact location.

Pasta Bella is under fairly new ownership, and I have heard that they're doing a lot to distinguish themselves in this relatively homogeneous market. Keep an eye on this place!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

• 2 weeks later...

So we went to Panzanella, and we had a pretty great meal. First I must put in a disclaimer here: I just recently started working at Weaver St., so I wanted to go to Panzanella because I now enjoy a 20% discount. Also, as a proponent of organic/locallly produced foods, I am apt to be more forgiving to a place just because they tried.

It was Valentine's Day, and it was packed. We had reservations for 9, but did not see a waitress for at least 15 minutes after we had been seated. That may not be unusual for super hoity-toity places, but Panzanella does not fall into that category. Anyway, we finally ordered our cocktails (the Campari and soda was generously sized and priced, but they were out of Peroni at that point) and our starters. Hendrik ordered the marinated olives, which shocked me because they cost $4, for something I have seen given out free at other, similarly priced restaurants. But they were good, and cheaper than that for us. I had the porcini flan (6.50). Our starters came way too fast, right on the heels of our drinks. It would have been better if we could have been nursing the drinks while waiting for someone to mosey on over and take our order. Oh, well. The olives were good, but the flan was gross. The tepid temperature made me wonder whether it was intended to be served hot, and had gotten cold, or cold, and had warmed up. It had a pretty boring flavor and was generally unexciting.

But the entrees were really good. I had the scallops with Granny Apple risotto, and Hen had the filet, rare, atop crispy potato cake. He had wanted the pasta but they were out, just as well, the filet was amazing. It came with the most slender asparagus I've ever seen, which since then Weaver St. has had for sale, yum yum. Both of our dinners were well-executed, especially for the price. Having just moved to the area from New Orleans, we are used to much higher prices for similar product. Anyway, it was good.

Then Hen found a hair in the potato cake (dirty Carrboro hippies!). And that baby was baked in, I had to pull it out for the waitress who was appropriately appalled. Too bad, the potatoes looked really yummy. She offered either comped appetizers or free dessert. We opted for dessert, of course, and I'm glad we did- the tiramisu was very, very good. One thing Weaver St. can do is desserts. I had the Panna Cotta with burgundy-poached pears, and that was delicious, too. It was a fine meal.

Oh, we had a bottle of Pinot Noir, as well, I can't recall the name, but it went well with both the filet and the scallops,

So, yes, the service bordered on iffy, but the waitress really came through about the hair. The meal was 85% wonderful. It was reminiscent of a Valentine's meal we enjoyed about 4 years ago at the White Dog in Philadelphia, but this time we got away with less than half of the expense (thanks to my discount!), about 80 bucks for everything.

And now we know.

Is there any good (real) Thai or Vietnamese in the Triangle? Sawasadee is terrible and horribly overpriced. Actually, I've noticed that about all of the Thai and Vietnamese restaurants around here. As it is, DH and I drive to DC or Greensboro when we want either.

Dalat has good subs, but the restaurnant itself is not good (like Americanized Chinese-ed Vietnamese). I'm tired of going out for SE Asian in the Triangle to consistantly find that I could have done better at home. We live in Raleigh, but I don't mind driving to CH or Durham (obviously, since we've been driving to DC).

Oh, I second the request for the name of a good Indian place.

Edited by JennotJenn (log)

Gourmet Anarchy

Is there any good (real) Thai or Vietnamese in the Triangle? Sawasadee is terrible and horribly overpriced. Actually, I've noticed that about all of the Thai and Vietnamese restaurants around here. As it is, DH and I drive to DC or Greensboro when we want either.

Dalat has good subs, but the restaurnant itself is not good (like Americanized Chinese-ed Vietnamese). I'm tired of going out for SE Asian in the Triangle to consistantly find that I could have done better at home. We live in Raleigh, but I don't mind driving to CH or Durham (obviously, since we've been driving to DC).

There is an excellent Vietnamese family run restaurant in Durham, on Guess Road. I think its name is Kim Son. It's in the same strip mall as a BBQ restuarant, Hog Heaven.

I didn't think the foods was expensive but I've only been there for lunch.

As for Indian restaurants, my spouse and I are very fond of The Tower in Morrisville. Their weekend lunch buffet (not sure if buffet's available at dinner) is good value and the food is tremendous. This is borne out by the number of SE Asians who eat at the Tower. This is a vegetarian restaurant specializing in Southern Indian food.

For non-regional, carnivore friendly Indian meals, we go to The Tandoor in Durham. It's in Greenwood Commons SC on H55, close to the junction of H54/H55.

Foodie Penguin

Is there any good (real) Thai or Vietnamese in the Triangle?  Sawasadee is terrible and horribly overpriced. Actually, I've noticed that about all of the Thai and Vietnamese restaurants around here. As it is, DH and I drive to DC or Greensboro when we want either.

There is an excellent Vietnamese family run restaurant in Durham, on Guess Road. I think its name is Kim Son. It's in the same strip mall as a BBQ restuarant, Hog Heaven.

I didn't think the foods was expensive but I've only been there for lunch.

As for Indian restaurants, my spouse and I are very fond of The Tower in Morrisville. Their weekend lunch buffet (not sure if buffet's available at dinner) is good value and the food is tremendous. This is borne out by the number of SE Asians who eat at the Tower. This is a vegetarian restaurant specializing in Southern Indian food.

For non-regional, carnivore friendly Indian meals, we go to The Tandoor in Durham. It's in Greenwood Commons SC on H55, close to the junction of H54/H55.

Foodie Penguin

Thank you!!

Good Vietnamese on Guess Rd. Yet another reason to add to our list of "why we should buy a house somewhere other than Raleigh, probably in Durham."

We'll end up hitting either this place or the Indian one in Morrisville this weekend. I think that may be the one that The Husband's coworker, Vijay, mentioned that he liked so much.

BTW, has anyone given the little restaurant inside Grand Asia a try? I had the noodle soup there today and it was pretty darn far from Americanized (pretty good, too) and such a big portion for $5.99 that I had to take it home...in a full quart sized take out container. I ordered the roast duck version, and there was a good 8oz of duck on top. I'm planning on making a return trip, as I saw that they had Banh Mi as well, as well as lots of other unidentifiable dishes that aren't listed on the menu, but of which you can pick 3 and get a side of rice (for $3.99). So anyone else been?

Gourmet Anarchy

This isn't food related so if that's all you're after, stop reading now.

Buying a house in Durham is a great thing. I can't speak to living in Raleigh; I enjoy it's restaurants and try to get over there for some art stuff every now and then. My wife and I live in the Forest Hills neighborhood in Durham and either it or Trinity Park is perfectly located to be able to get to downtown, Ninth Street, and further afield in no time. Durham has lots of little neighborhoods that have little parks and are well priced. With the growth of tobacco warehouse restoration and the eventual openning of the American Tobacco project next to the Bull's stadium I'm hoping for great things. Did I mention that I can walk to the Bull's stadium from my house and there isn't a better way to spend a fall evening then at a game with fireworks afterward.

Durham isn't hurting for good food either, Magnolia Grill, Four Square, Nana's, Guglhupf, Q-Shack, high-end, dive, good food abounds.

I guess I'm just saying, give Durham a look, I think you'll like it. (Sorry for sounding like a fricken' civic booster).

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

That's food related enough, Bryan! I agree wholeheartedly with you. Durham' scene, including the food scene, has far more heart and soul than the other towns in the region. That also means that it has more highs and lows, but that's really not a bad thing. Where's the best restaurant in the Triangle? Durham -- Magnolia Grill. Bakery? Durham -- Guglhupf. Casual seafood? Durham -- Fishmongers. Anyone seeing a trend here?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This isn't food related so if that's all you're after, stop reading now.

Buying a house in Durham is a great thing. I can't speak to living in Raleigh; I enjoy it's restaurants and try to get over there for some art stuff every now and then. My wife and I live in the Forest Hills neighborhood in Durham and either it or Trinity Park is perfectly located to be able to get to downtown, Ninth Street, and further afield in no time. Durham has lots of little neighborhoods that have little parks and are well priced. With the growth of tobacco warehouse restoration and the eventual openning of the American Tobacco project next to the Bull's stadium I'm hoping for great things. Did I mention that I can walk to the Bull's stadium from my house and there isn't a better way to spend a fall evening then at a game with fireworks afterward.

Durham isn't hurting for good food either, Magnolia Grill, Four Square, Nana's, Guglhupf, Q-Shack, high-end, dive, good food abounds.

I guess I'm just saying, give Durham a look, I think you'll like it. (Sorry for sounding like a fricken' civic booster).

Food related or not, seriously, thanks for the tip.

It's nice to hear someone say, upon hearing about my plans to move us to Durham, "oh, it's great, you should!" as opposed to "Aren't you arfraid you'll get shot?!". Seriously. All the time. Of course, the only people who say that are people who live outside of Durham.

Do you mind if I PM you and pick your brain for more info? Don't want to be a bad newbie and turn this into a "let's help Jen buy a house thread"

:raz:

Gourmet Anarchy

That's food related enough, Bryan! I agree wholeheartedly with you. Durham' scene, including the food scene, has far more heart and soul than the other towns in the region. That also means that it has more highs and lows, but that's really not a bad thing. Where's the best restaurant in the Triangle? Durham -- Magnolia Grill. Bakery? Durham -- Guglhupf. Casual seafood? Durham -- Fishmongers. Anyone seeing a trend here?

I hadn't heard of Guglhuph? Is it German (please say yes, please say yes)?

Gourmet Anarchy

If you've been driving to Greensboro for A Taste of Thai, then you will be happy to hear that they have opened a branch in Falls Center on Falls of Neuse, according to the Independent.

We ate at the one in Greensboro over the holidays, and it was much better than I had expected.

As for the Vietnamese place on Guess Rd., we were not impressed. But we are totally spoiled from living in New Orleans, where authentic Vietnamese cuisine is in great abundance. We used to eat at Pho Tau Bay across from Charity Hospital at least once a week. Boy, if there was a place like that within an hour's drive, I would go all the time! As it stands, I fear the closest really good Vietnamese place is in Richmond.

Is there any good (real) Thai or Vietnamese in the Triangle?  Sawasadee is terrible and horribly overpriced. Actually, I've noticed that about all of the Thai and Vietnamese restaurants around here. As it is, DH and I drive to DC or Greensboro when we want either.

If you've been driving to Greensboro for A Taste of Thai, then you will be happy to hear that they have opened a branch in Falls Center on Falls of Neuse, according to the Independent.

We ate at the one in Greensboro over the holidays, and it was much better than I had expected.

As for the Vietnamese place on Guess Rd., we were not impressed. But we are totally spoiled from living in New Orleans, where authentic Vietnamese cuisine is in great abundance. We used to eat at Pho Tau Bay across from Charity Hospital at least once a week. Boy, if there was a place like that within an hour's drive, I would go all the time! As it stands, I fear the closest really good Vietnamese place is in Richmond.

Have you gone to Greensboro for VIetnamese? They have a large Montenard population and some pretty decent restaurants.

Gourmet Anarchy

there's Saigon in G'boro: a couple of years ago it made Saveur's top 100 issue. Unfortunately, everytime I go it's been closed, so I haven't sampled myself, but have heard many good things.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Guglhuph is a German Bakery on Business 15-501 pretty much next door to Fosters. The owners are German and all of the staff speak fluent German. They were featured on a holiday episode of Food Finds for their Stolen.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

Really? Good Vietnamese in Greensboro? Whereabouts?

sensing a road trip...

Ok, it's been a while and I have a crappy short term memory, so I'll have to ask around. My cousin married a Vietnamese guy from G-boro, so when I get the chance I'll ask her.

Saigon is good, but there are some cheaper places...now I just have to try to remember where :wacko:

Gourmet Anarchy

Guglhuph is a German Bakery on Business 15-501 pretty much next door to Fosters. The owners are German and all of the staff speak fluent German. They were featured on a holiday episode of Food Finds for their Stolen.

Woohoo! I grew up in Winston-Salem and I miss Moravian bakeries...straight up German is close enough. I'll have to make a trip to Durham.

Gourmet Anarchy

• 2 weeks later...

We finally made a trip to Guglhupf today. Very nice. We bought:

1 Bretzel

1 Pain de Campagne

1 Copehagen Multigrain

1 Cranberry Pecan

1 Apple Strudel (for DH)

1 Ham and Cheese Croissant (for me)

I won't reveal how much of it we have left. It's sort of embarrassing. I bought that much so that we could freeze some. Um, don't think anything's going to make it that far. Does confim the fact that they're a great bakery, though. We're going to make a trip from Raleigh every couple of weeks. It's worth the drive.

Thanks for bringing this place to my attention!

Gourmet Anarchy

• 4 weeks later...

So, I couldn't resist the temptation. Admittedly, most of the talk I've heard lately on Mama Dip's has been negative, but I still felt that need to experience a landmark. I stopped in 2 weeks ago and ordered the chicken and dumplings. Without getting too negative, I was less than thrilled. The food was far from what I had expected, and I got sick after finding a hair in my entree. I'm hoping that this was an accident/infrequent happening, but the food was far from what it would of had to been to warrant a trip back to find out. The yams on the other hand, were well prepared, and they were the first and only thing to disappear from my plate. It seems sad that the place has declined in quality as of late.

With that being said, I'm planning a trip up to LaFarm Bakery in Cary on Thursday. I was thinking about stopping in at Chico's Mexican on NW Cary Parkway. Does anyone have any insight on this place? Also, can anybody tell me the name of the new restaurant that is supposed to be opening in Raleigh this/next month? All I remember is that it is supposed to have a brick-oven, which is good news for pizza lovers.

By the way, seeing how the topic of this post is "Best Dish in the Triangle", I thought that I'd mention Shane Ingram, chef/proprietor of Four Square. I've only eaten there once, but I'd indulge on a regular basis if my college budget permitted it. He was recently mentioned in the Restaurants & Institutions Mag for being one of the chefs who are "incorporating the bold and sensuous flavors of Indian cuisine into dishes on their contemporary American menus." Shane has worked under 2 culinary gods, Emeril and Charlie Trotter, and their influence comes through in his food. His April menu is outstanding as always, and I'm hoping to stop in for at least a bowl of the cream of asparagus soup with crab fritters before I head up to Toronto for the summer.

-jj

We finally made a trip to Guglhupf today. Very nice. We bought:

1 Bretzel

1 Pain de Campagne

1 Copehagen Multigrain

1 Cranberry Pecan

1 Apple Strudel (for DH)

1 Ham and Cheese Croissant (for me)

I won't reveal how much of it we have left. It's sort of embarrassing. I bought that much so that we could freeze some. Um, don't think anything's going to make it that far. Does confim the fact that they're a great bakery, though. We're going to make a trip from Raleigh every couple of weeks. It's worth the drive.

Thanks for bringing this place to my attention!

Even before I got a job within a mile of Gulghupf I was a frequent shopper there. Now I work so close, I buy all my bread there.

In fact, I was there today buying my loaf. Quite a line ahead of me too. The lady at the head of the line was buying a fair quantity of bakery goods.

Despite being a German bakery, they produce a mean croissant. Picked up a bag of five of them 40% off (because they're a day old. They're in the freezer now).

As well as selling their own baked goods, they also serve/sell Broad Street Roasters (is that the correct name?) coffee and have two fridges selling European goodies such as Spa carbonated drinks, Italian butter, French brie.

As someone who tries to avoid wheat, Gulghupf is a godsend. Their website even describes the percentage of grains in each of their breads.

Sadly, the long awaited expansion is still not ready. Looks like it'll be ready in the summer (think July/August time).

Foodie Penguin