• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "Culinary Axis of Evil"

phaelon56

there is nothing more irritating than a "special needs" eater

Yeah.... except I'm special and it seems that I always need to eat. Seriously though.... the number of people who are truly open minded about food is far smaller than those who are particular, often for no reason other than fear of the unknown. Perhaps I'm more open minded than some simly in reacation to my upbringing. My mother insists that my father's nickname should be "Nothing On It O'Neill". He considers plain black pepper to be an exotic spice and can't tolerate thigns as smiple as parsley garnish to share the plate with his very plain food.

I was among the camp whowrongly assumed for years that okra was slimy and therefore disgusting. Fresh okra that has been properly handled and prepared is indeed a wonderful vegetable but it's tough to find it that way for most of us outside of friend's gardens and certain southern areas.

I loathe egg salad. The sight, the smell, everything about it. Hard boiled eggs too. I do like omelettes though.

I also hate strawberries, which a lot of people think is weird. Actually, I hate all berries, except cranberries.

Pumpkin pie and carrot cake. Feh.

Blue cheese in all its forms,

cilantro (unless it is so masked by hot peppers that I can't taste the soapy flavor)

pickled beets

Of course, I haven't tasted *all* foods yet, though I have cut through a pretty big swathe so far...

Okra

Caviar

Pudding

Whipped cream (including, but not limited to, Kool Whip)

I just don't like slimy/squishy foods, it's a texture thing.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

i used to hate brussel sprouts too, but one day when I was in school we were deep frying everything in sight. Can't remember why exactly. Someone plunged brussel sprouts into the batter then into the deep fryer,AMAZING. This is the only way they should be eaten. I made a pig of myself.

1. Blue cheese in all its forms (and nope, I don't want to be talked or trained out of this; it's one of the very few items on my list of Fattening Foods I Don't Like);

2. Celery, anise, licorice, fennel, the whole damn family, raw or cooked, can't even stand the smell (though I can snarf up mashed celeriac if it's got enough butter and cream in it);

3. Almost all buttercream frosting -- gimme whipped cream or ganache;

4. Almost all mass-produced "fruit" flavored stuff -- soda, syrup, jelly, cereal, drink mixes, whatever. Ycccchh. Tastes like chemicals.

5. Canned peas -- but fresh ones are one of my all-time faves.

Alleriges:

Milk

Peanuts

Mint

Just Plain Evil:

Cilantro

Melons

Cheap Chinese Takeout

Crispy Green Bean (green beans should always be cooked til falling apart with a lot of pork fat!)

SML

Edit: Oh yes, and raw cucumbers--nothing ruins a salad faster

Edited by sml311 (log)

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders