• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "Culinary Axis of Evil"

phaelon56

Surprised how many of you share my dislike for raw tomatoes & onions. For tomatoes any kind of marination or cooking makes them A-OK. For onions I need to cook the crap out of them. If there is any crunch left I am skeeved. Especially when they are hiding in melted cheese or egg. The sole exception was the onion in the mango salad with the smoked trout dish at Chickenbone Café in Brooklyn. I'm not a big fan of walnuts or asparagus either. Especially white asparagus--ick.

Evil processed foods: mayonnaise, anything raspberry-flavored that's not a raspberry, waxy icing on cheap cakes, those deli-type corn muffins that taste like baking powder and instantly dessicate your whole mouth, artificial sweeteners and most anything sweetened with them, Tastycake (but Drake's will go to heaven, even the Devil Dogs), yellow mustard, shredded lettuce on sandwiches, chocolate+citrus, marzipan, Toaster Strudel, Hot Pockets, Eggo Waff-fuls, fat-free bologna, fat-free cheese, Nutri-Grain bars, Snackwells, and flavored milk other than chocolate.

My parents have a picture of me from Sweden when I was 16 looking petrified at the white asparagus draped across my quiche and one from England when I was 7 stoically choking down a lime-flavored milkshake. [shudder] I learned to be more careful about what I order.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Melons and Watermelons -- I don't like the smell, taste, and look. I would shoot myself if i have to eat them. They are the worst evil! :wacko:

Intestines -- I don't want to taste them.

Crustaceans and Shellfish -- I hate their looks. I cannot put them into my mouth.

Overcooked Spinach, Broccoli, and Asparagus -- It's wrong.

Fruits in a salad -- Fruits does not belong there.

Sugar & Milk in Coffee -- Coffee should be BLACK.

Check out the latest meal!

Itadakimasu

anything raw on the halfshell

ketchup (except as cocktail sauce for shrimp)

butter cookies (the big soft tasteless kind from the bakery with the sprinkles and fake tasting chocolate)

most soft cookies (I like crispy!)

beef cooked medium and (*gasp*) well done

too rare (aka raw) beef

canned veggies (except crispy corn)

Hershey's chocolate (unless I have pretzels to eat with it)

Bottled matzoh balls

canned light tuna

french dressing

ok ok...I could go on forever. LOL

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I have a theory that almost anything can be made palatable with the addition of enough a) tomato sauce, b) cheese, c) chocolate, or d) some combination of the above.

Except maybe kidney beans.

let's see...

cheesy liver bake

chocolate fondue with liver dippin sticks

penne marinara with liver nuggets

hmmm - i think i'll pass

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

LIVER!

Did I say LIVER?

does that include Foie Gras?

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Can I add a food word to the hit list?

"Yummy"

I hope I don't offend but I have yet to see the word here on eGullet. I've seen "Mmmmm!" as in "Mmm-mmmm good" and while it's dangerously close, it's not evil. But "Yummy", "yum" or the devil itself, "Yummers!" are like eating cilantro for the allergic.

It's one of the many reasons I can't take Rachel Ray seriously.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Can I add a food word to the hit list?

"Yummy"

I hope I don't offend but I have yet to see the word here on eGullet. I've seen "Mmmmm!" as in "Mmm-mmmm good" and while it's dangerously close, it's not evil. But "Yummy", "yum" or the devil itself, "Yummers!" are like eating cilantro for the allergic.

It's one of the many reasons I can't take Rachel Ray seriously.

Cilantro is yummy. :laugh::raz:

Mustard

Anything pickled

Hot (not spicey) like wasabi hate chiles

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

cilantro (unwashed underarms)

protein that's bloody-rare, raw or alive (no cannibal genes here)

margarine (deep and abiding hatred)

I wanted to say soy sauce also, but can cook with it in small doses. Also black walnuts which taste like ground up aspirin, but I can stomach them in a cake.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

velvetta (one of the most horrifying "foods" ever)

green bell peppers (let them ripen already!)

fast food chains (salt and fat with a big side of sugar, no fruit, fiber or vegetables shoved down even little kids throats! the food is beyond terrible, bad for the envionment, our health, and did I mention that it is not a healthy thing to raise children on! ban the so called happy meal)

Marjarine

miricle whip (very yucky)

wonderbread

Wow, I love cilantro, asparagus, shellfish, raw tomatoes (which I will mix in to my poi!) Avocados are a gift from heaven!

Oh. So - yet another thought I had that was far from original? Not the first time and won't be the last....

I really did start this thread on a lark after hearing yet more political crap in the media but if Andrew Fenton started the whole thing at some previous point or coined the phrase let's give credit where credit is due :cool:

Some of your hates I love -- Christmas pudding, parsnips (one of my all time favorite vegetables), brussels sprouts (though I know this is weird).

I hate cucumbers.

When I was very young, I had a list of things I hate -- mustard, onions and cucumbers topping the list. Now I eat mustard sandwiches for breakfast, fry onions for lunch, but cucumbers? Blech. Slimy, nasty, everything bad about a food.

I also don't like fakey stuff, like waxy chocolate, eggbeaters (ugh), Cheez Wiz.

Any type of "Fat Free" cheese products or low fat butter substitute.

Lima Beans - mushy bland blech

Japanese seaweed salad - flavor/texture issues

I only like okra if it's pickled - de-gloobified

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I also don't like fakey stuff, like waxy chocolate, eggbeaters (ugh), Cheez Wiz.

I'm with you. Another addition to the 'baddies' (and only marginally a 'food product): non-dairy creamer!

The little floaties that form on top as it dissolves in coffee really give me the shudders.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Foods that taste fishy: now, some people find my definition of "fishy" kind of weird--mussels are delicious, as are oysters, they taste of the SEA. Salmon, on the other hand, has always tasted fishy to me, with the single exception of the just unbelievably delicious salmon carpaccio JoeB made last Saturday night (glad I still subscribe to "maybe I'll like it this time"). I have only once experienced an anchovy dish that did NOT taste fishy to me, a bagna cauda Slkinsey made for my birthday. My biggest problem with things that taste "fishy" are that they also tend to make the whole HOUSE smell fishy, which makes me want to yack up my dinner. Seaweed, like those wraps on sushi roll thingies, gets me in the gut too, because (like smoked salmon) it has a smoky fishiness that is just repulsive to me.

Eggplant: Oh, BARF. :angry:

Okra: DITTO. Talk about repulsive...the mere thought of okra sets off my gag reflex. Yes, I've had it deep-fried, didn't help.

Slkinsey has gently (and not so gently) helped me realize that I actually like most of the foods I thought I hated when I moved to NYC. Can you believe I didn't like AVOCADOS????? What the hell was I thinking? :blink:

K

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous