• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "Culinary Axis of Evil"

phaelon56

Lima Beans ... the source of all evil.

I think I need to remove asparagus and replace it with lima beans. It's either that or my axis grows to four items.

Lima Beans- What's not to like? Why do you all hate them so. I feel like I may have to become the defender of limas much as I step in and straighten out all of you okra haters. :raz:

Have you ever had them straight out of the garden? Maybe a little green tomato relish on top and lots of black pepper? C'mon, give them a chance. Lima Beans never hurt anybody. :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

C'mon, give them a chance. Lima Beans never hurt anybody. :wink:

You never had them fixed the way my mom prepared them? The Irish way - boil until limp and serve. I only tolerated okra until I had it properly prepared.

I'm open to change but need convincing on some things.

I'm open to change but need convincing on some things.

Any time between May 15 and July 15 you can stop by my house for fresh ones. Cheap flights from everywhere in New Orleans during the summer (it's a little hot, so whimps tend to come at other times :wink: .)

Sorry... I can't find the old okra thread, but I tried the fried okra recipe that I think Mayhaw Man posted. Tried it out on some guests and they inhaled them! The comments were along the line: I've never thought okra could taste good. I would never think of eating okra.

I'm ready to step up to the plate and defend okra.

You'll have find someone else to help you with the lima defense...

Poor unloved tofu- sob.........

I actually rather like some tofu dishes. Actually, reading this thread I have realized for the first time in my life that I like pretty much everything in some form or another.

I know this should be a good thing but for some reason it's making me a bit sad. I'm sure there's something out there for me to hate, I just haven't found it yet :sad:

I actually didn't choose any flavors that I hate, like ketchup, beef liver, or grapefruit. I consider those my problem. But tofu, chicken breast, and supermarket cheddar, all things I can enjoy if used properly, are, in their nature, evil, I think. Tofu is just anti-flavor and anti-texture. Chicken breast is the food for those that don't like anything. It's the Wonderbread of meat/poultry. Supermarket cheddar is much the same. They are evil.

Cheap pie filling (looks like snot with fruit in it; tastes like it too)

Red Delicious apples

Supermarket tomatoes

Shredded mozz. in the bag. Blech.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Chicken breast is the food for those that don't like anything. It's the Wonderbread of meat/poultry.

No...it's the tofu of meat/poultry.

My culinary axis of evil would have to be

um

ermm....

:hmmm:

I'll get back to you...

Oh, wait...

– overcooked liver of any kind

– Crisco cake icing (anathema to all that is good and decent in the world)

– BLUEFISH

Please, save the "Oh, but you've never had bluefish cooked ________" comments. I will never, ever, EVER eat bluefish again.

Raisins. Blue cheese.

Evil foods.

I can see that we'll be on different sides when the huge food conflagration begins. I enjoy raisins in a green salad but experience is really complete when crumbly blue cheese is also involved. Not kidding (about the raisins and blue cheese).

raw tomatoes

turnips

anything strongly fishy (that means bluefish is out)

anything where you eat all its innards (oysters, clams, mussels, snails)

These are things that if served to me as a guest, I will leave on my plate and not even attempt to be polite. Leaving it on my plate is more polite than throwing up on my plate.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I rather like most of the items listed (fruit, veg, offal, fish, shellfish, etc). Most of my real hatreds are reserved for various prepared foods.

Leaving aside all of the evil things done to once-decent ingredients, though, the ones that more-or-less leave me cold would be

1) Cauliflower: All the downside of the cabbage family, none of the upside.

2) Avocadoes: A mouthful of lard, with a hint of clover. Or to hearken back to an earlier post in this thread, "margarine that grows on trees." Nothing really wrong with them except the seed isn't big enough...doesn't quite fill the skin.

3) Parsnips: I can choke them down if they're roasted, or concealed artfully in the rest of the dish, but there's something about them that triggers my gag reflex faster than a Celine Dion song. Couldn't explain it if I tried.

There are a number of things (sushi, tofu) that I just don't care enough about to actively dislike. Remember Ugarte in Casablanca?

"You despise me, don't you, Rick?"

"If I thought about you, I probably would!"

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Forgot one

The prune and olive chicken dish from the Silver Palate (I think). My mother makes it for the holidays to rave reviews every year. I cannot stand the stuff.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

oh man! most of the stuff on you people's axis of evil is actually really Delicious.

my Axis of evil:

excessive Chili Peppers (like mega mind blowing hot)

MonosodiumGlutamate (makes my mouth fuzzy and dry)

unfresh food

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

lentils

hummus (though i love chick peas otherwise)

foods with too much cumin

bell peppers

bluefish

tripe is the one food i've never brought myself to taste, and i'm sure it would be on this list

high fructose corn syrup-sweetened beverages. have a cane juice-sweetened Odwalla beverage and the difference is heavenly.

squash

eggplant

okra

Ummm.. :shock: ..ugghhhh.. :blink: ..aarrggghhh.... :wacko: ...aaaack :huh:

Aw Sam, I don't even know where to start. Those three things, in various varieties, are some of the very reasons I plant a too large garden every year.

I'm certain that we can find some common ground somewhere............... :wink::laugh: