• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "Culinary Axis of Evil"

phaelon56

What's in yours? Which poor, unfortunate foods have you decided are a threat to your stomach's contentment? I'll start.

Brussel Sprouts (I like cabbage but I swear these really taste different)

Asparagus (I can sort of tolerate baby tips just sauteed and drenched with lemon juice but I still don't see the appeal)

Tripe/Tendon (I know they're two different things but they both start with the letter "T" and I dislike them equally).

Looking back at my post I see that the axcronym for my axis is BAT. I'll bet that's another food that I wouldn't like. I'm thinking that it tastes like chicken but has to many bones to be worth the trouble.

Spinach (has to be the least interesting green in existance)

Shellfish of any kind - I try them, they're OK, what's the big fuss?

TOFU - or is this restricted to actual food?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I would have included bets because they'e reputed to be one of the only foods analyzed that is proven to have absolutely no real nutriotonal value. The thing is... the best evil axis must be limited to three items - right? Not to mention - I've now heard that if they're roasted, beets can actually be quite delicious.

broccoli/broccolini/broccoli rabe - don't try to fool me people

liver and other awful offal

marzipan and all it's almond pasty brethren. yuck.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

pickles

mustard

mayonnaise

dill

green bell peppers

I've tried and tried and tried to like them, but to no avail.

Oh, yeah. And peanut butter -- especially in things (peanut butter cookies, Reese's peanut butter cups, peanut butter Rice Krispie bars, etc...)

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Cilantro

Raw Onions

Cilantro

Raw Tomatoes

Cilantro

Any spice that BURNS

Cilantro

Did I mention that I can't abide Cilantro? The other stuff can be choked down, if needed (although the raw tomato thing causes canker sores - dozens of them, immediately). But Cilantro IS the axis of evil.

I would have included bets because they'e reputed to be one of the only foods analyzed that is proven to have absolutely no real nutriotonal value.

:blink: Really? Where'd you hear that? The greens are good for yah too!

http://www.libby.org/nutrition/aim/juicing/redibeets.htm

http://www.hungrymonster.com/FoodFacts/Foo...=Beets&fid=5458

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s01t8.html

OT but worth relating": when my mom was a kid during the depression my grandmother decided to try margarine for the sake of economising. In those days the margarine came in a translucent white form and had to be colored with a yellow colorant that was mixed in at home after purchase. One of my mom's many brothers had the assignment that day and mistakenly colored the block of lard instead, then served it at the table. Not a single person noticed. When my grandmother discovered the error the next day she vowed to never allow margarine to darken her doorstep again (she lived to age 93 and stuck to her promise).

In terms of base ingredients rather than 'bad' preparations it was hard for me to come with much stuff, but:

black jelly beans

margarine

calves brains

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Cilantro

Raw Onions

Cilantro

Raw Tomatoes

Cilantro

Any spice that BURNS

Cilantro

Did I mention that I can't abide Cilantro? The other stuff can be choked down, if needed (although the raw tomato thing causes canker sores - dozens of them, immediately). But Cilantro IS the axis of evil.

I guess you're not a big fan of salsa fresca Carolyn!

...unless you got rid of everything but the lime :raz:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I would have included bets because they'e reputed to be one of the only foods analyzed that is proven to have absolutely no real nutriotonal value.

:blink: Really? Where'd you hear that? The greens are good for yah too!

Actually.... I heard it on the radio - the source of all my most well-informed and also un-informed and erroneous information. They were referring to Harvard Beets - the type that I specifically detest. Please don't confuse me with facts - I am very comfortable with my opinions :wink:

Poor unloved tofu- sob.........

I actually rather like some tofu dishes. Actually, reading this thread I have realized for the first time in my life that I like pretty much everything in some form or another.

I know this should be a good thing but for some reason it's making me a bit sad. I'm sure there's something out there for me to hate, I just haven't found it yet :sad:

Edited by VeryApe77 (log)

Green Bell Peppers

Wish I liked them because they appear in a lot of dishes I'd otherwise probably enjoy, but I just can't eat them. Actually I've made progress in the last 5 years or so as I now could probably choke down a couple pieces to be polite, but I would be secretly retching as I did so.

OT but worth relating":  when my mom was a kid during the depression my grandmother decided to try margarine for the sake of economising.  In those days the margarine came in a translucent white form and had to be colored with a yellow colorant that was mixed in at home after purchase. One of my mom's many brothers had the assignment that day and mistakenly colored the block of lard instead, then served it at the table.  Not a single person noticed. When my grandmother discovered the error the next day she vowed to never allow margarine to darken her doorstep again (she lived to age 93 and stuck to her promise).

My mother told me about the yellow-dye thing. Apparently the dairy lobby convinced the government that allowing margarine to be sold with the dye pre-mixed would lead to fraud (margarine being passed off as butter). Of course the margarine looked ghastly, an "unintended" side effect. :wink:

Too bad the dairy folks didn't put everyone off margarine for good.