• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: melkor

melkor

The Napa market shut down for the year at the end of October - I can't wait for it to come back.

Dave, you should schedule your winter Oakland visits on Tuesday, then leave early to go to the Berkeley Farmer's market (2-6). Easy to get to from the Ashby exit.

Thats a damn fine idea. I think I'll do that next tuesday.

Had another cappa before lunch, and cottage cheese with a can of mandarine oranges on top for lunch. I'm sure I'll be hungry again in an hour and I'll have Lunch II.

What - no picture of the cottage cheese with canned oranges?!?!?!

I'm so disappointed in you! :raz:

Now that I look back through the other pics, this one doesn't look as good - the milk is over-stretched and the edges of the heart aren't as clearly defined as the previous pic.

Now that I look back through the other pics, this one doesn't look as good - the milk is over-stretched and the edges of the heart aren't as clearly defined as the previous pic.

Practice, practice, practice!

Another cappa for a snack.

Wow...I am simply amazed at the amount of caffeine you drink! Do you do it for the buzz, or is it more the taste? I mean, those cappuccinos look very appealing. You must have it down to an art.

Another cappa for a snack.

Wow...I am simply amazed at the amount of caffeine you drink! Do you do it for the buzz, or is it more the taste? I mean, those cappuccinos look very appealing. You must have it down to an art.

They are all single shots of espresso, the first two for the day are usually caffinated, the other two are almost always decaf. I ran out of roasted caffinated beans last night, so the 3 cappas and a latte I've had today have all been decaf. I just like how they taste, and I enjoy the whole process of building the drinks.

Any comments on the Zuni roast chicken Melkor or Mrs. Melkor?!

We salted it the day before, slipped garlic and thyme sprigs under the skin, and left it wrapped in the refrigerator. Then we roasted it, along with the giblets, in a cast iron grill pan at 425 for about 50 minutes. The plan was to roast it for 30 minutes breast-down, then flip and finish breast-up, but the back looked so nice and brown, and we liked how quickly the thigh was cooking relative to the breast, so we decided to just leave it on its back.

Once it was done roasting we moved it to a cutting board, poured off the pan juices, spooned the bread salad into the pan, and put the chicken on top of that. Returned it to the oven for 5 minutes, then turned off the oven and let it sit for 10 more minutes inside the oven.

In the meantime, we tossed the greens with some of the drippings and made gravy with most of the rest. Surprisingly the gravy was not too salty. The chicken was moist and flavorful, and the finishing it on top of the bread salad helped integrate the flavors of these two items.

Next time I might try flipping it halfway through. Not sure I would roast only breast-up, since that can make the breast cook too quickly. Usually I brine the chicken and rub an herb paste under the skin, but this way was good too and certainly less work. I really liked roasting it in cast iron - it seemed to speed up the cooking time and was a great size for the bird.

Thanks for you comments on roasting the chicken. Does sound like a fine idea to rest the chicken on the bread salad--both keeping the chicken warm and flavoring the salad. Also great idea to flavor the greens.

It certainly looked wonderful! Hopefully it will spur me to try this sooner rather than later. :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This week is more or less like any other week, except for Friday - which is my birthday.

So, where are you going for your birthday? Or, is MsMelkor keeping it a secret? :laugh:

I've got no idea, so I guess it's a secret :laugh:

Four or five cups a day, half decaf? Thats not a lot.

I guess I drink maybe 8-10 cups a day...full strength, and have done for many years. Press pot with semi-skimmed milk at home, and double expresso at the office.

Surprisingly it doesn't seem to affect sleep patterns

Dinner tonight at Bistro Jeanty in Yountville -

tomato soup in puff pastry and 2002 ostertag riesling (alsace)

jeanty-soup.jpg

MsMelkor had sole meuniere

jeanty-sole.jpg

I had steak frites and 1999 titus napa zinfandel

jeanty-steak.jpg

As usual, everything there was excellent.