• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: melkor

melkor

Beautiful pics!

How did you make the heart in the cappuccino?

When ya pour the milk into the espresso, hold the cup at a slight angle and pour until a white blob surfaces, set the cup down and draw the pitcher across the cup to make the dent in the top of the heart.

This is cappa #3 for the day -

cappa2-eg.jpg

Yeah, we usually have about 4 a day - one before breakfast, one between breakfast and lunch, a half-caf after lunch, and a decaf after dinner. So Melkor's had a lot of practice making latte art even though we've only had the machine for a couple of weeks.

allison

Dinner, courtesy of MsMelkor :wub:

salmon.jpg

Pan seared wild pacific salmon in a shallot white wine reduction with asparagus and red scallions on mashed potatoes. Sauteed spinach with garlic and olive oil. 2001 J.J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spatlese to drink.

The salmon came from the chest freezer in the garage - we got a couple of fish from the pier in Bodega Bay before the season ended, and it looks like we'll run out right around the time the season starts again. The asparagus and red scallions came from our garden.

melkor... Where did you get the red scallions for your garden? I don't think I have ever seen them. Do they have any difference in flavor or is the red just a great visual effect. Scallions grow rather well here on the Gulf Coast and that would be a welcome addition to our gardens.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The red scallions are just young stockton red onions, we plant them far too closely together and eat the thinnings as scallions. I like them better than scallions - they are much sweeter.

We're having our last cappas for the day. After we watch the daily show on the tivo it's time for sleep.

Dear Texas and Rosie Melkor,

You are utterly gorgeous, and rosie: i think i might be related to you! we could be sisters! same white ruff of fluff. i am totally in love with my owners (as they call themselves, they haven't cottoned on that i'm the one running the show). you look as if you are too.

meeow, meowwww, me-ow,

madeleine spieler-mclaughlan

ps: my food blog: today i ate a big fat bug. went deliciously with the crunchy accompaniment of iams chicken flavor. my superb tipple was a saucer of full fat milk, the champagne of dairy beverages.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

You are utterly gorgeous, and rosie: i think i might be related to you! we could be sisters! same white ruff of fluff. i am totally in love with my owners (as they call themselves, they haven't cottoned on that i'm the one running the show). you look as if you are too.

meeow, meowwww, me-ow,

ps: my food blog: today i ate a big fat bug. went deliciously with the crunchy accompaniment of iams chicken flavor. my superb tipple was a saucer of full fat milk, the champagne of dairy beverages.

Dear Madeleine,

Good to meet you! Whenever Ms. Melkor gets up from her laptop I like to sit on the keyboard and e-mail my friends.

I usually eat Science Diet - since I'm 7 years old, I'm going to try the Senior variety, which will hopefully taste better than that Light garbage they feed me now. But I much prefer tuna juice (water-packed) and raw poultry. Mmmm...

Meeow,

Rosie

allison

meeow, meowwww, me-ow,

Dear Madeleine,

Good to meet you! Whenever Ms. Melkor gets up from her laptop I like to sit on the keyboard and e-mail my friends.

Meeow,

Rosie

yes, yes, yes, I LOVE sitting on marlena's laptop! I have already totally screwed up the keyboard and she had to buy another one! Plus, I changed her email password (the b***h, please forgive me, had the name of a former kitty of hers and my jealous heart could not take it).

i love tuna juice too.

do you ever drink the melkors cappuccinos? I think they should draw a cats head on their foam. perhaps you could do one sometime to give them the idea. i think it would look wonderful. marlena has a grilled cheese sandwich maker that puts hello kitty faces on each quarter. shes really a good cat-mother, not a b***h at all, i was just so jealous).

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is a first on an eGullet blog. Cats conversing. Classic.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Is it just me, or does it seem like my foodblog is being overrun with crazy cat people? :unsure:

my, testy, testy, aren't we!

i shall now leave your foodblog and go sit in the sun and lick my privates. i'm behind schedule already.

madeleine

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

i shall now leave your foodblog and go sit in the sun and lick my privates. i'm behind schedule already.

madeleine

Madeleine;

Since Melkor's BDay is Friday, why don't all we cats get together and get him a group furball?!?!!?

Yours truly;

Akebono, Vronsky, and Chequers (Carolyn's cats) :raz:

Akebono

Who's the sumo fan??

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Akebono

Who's the sumo fan??

MEEEEEEE!!!!!! (Carolyn, that is).

When we got the cat, Sumo Digest was on in Los Angeles (not up here in NoCal! boo-hoo!).

This particular cat (a VERY large Himalayan), tackled our other cat, Chequers, by getting up on his hind legs and throwing his whole body into the other cat, just like Akebono the wrestler used to.

I can't follow the sport now without the broadcasts and I really miss it. I used to be able to follow some of the basho news on www.sumoworld.com, but that has gone defunct as well. All the rest of the websites are in Japanese and other than an occasional Western blurb (like Takonohana retiring due to injury), I have no idea what has happened to my favorites. (Terao was my especial favorite but is 40 years old now and probably retired as well).

Sorry -- back to Melkor's foodblog!

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)