• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mie N Yu

kendrabail

Had dinner at Meinyu in Georgetown this past weekend. The decor was rather overwhelming (DJ box was pretty darn cool), and it is the only place I have ever been where the bathroom attendant, while washing my hands, thanked me for coming.

At any rate, I thought the food was decidely average. My husband and I were visiting from Richmond, Virginia and asked some friends from the DC area where the new "hotspot" was for food and they mentioned Meinyu. I felt it was a big disappointment.

For example, a green papaya salad had NO green papaya in it, and it was so spicy hot that any other attempt at flavoring the dish was consequently lost. Green papaya salad (a la Vietnamese or Thai style) thrives on the crunch of fresh GREEN papaya. This papaya was overripe and tasted more like mango. The Korean short ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender, but were bathed in some funky peanut sauce that was too heavy of a pairing for an already greasy rib. We scraped most of it off.

Last time we were in DC we ate at Zatinya and it lived up to the hype. Cool decor, great scene and amazing food to back it all up.

For the price (and crazy long wait for a table) at Meinyu, I felt that even the six top hanging birdcage couldn't save it.

I am curious what the local foodie scene in DC thinks of this place?

I've only eaten there once and it was so unremarkable I can't remember a thing I ate. The one thing I do remember is that they misguided us in terms of how much food to order for our party of four. We wound up with twice what we could eat and no one interested in taking the leftovers home.

We were guided in the same direction to order a pre-app, and app, a salad and entree and then dessert. They suggested that we do this as if it would be some affront to the chef if we did not. It is reiterated on the menu in several places that the chef recommends this as the ideal way to share a meal. We complied to some extent (skipping dessert and sharing apps, salad and an entree which I am sure annoyed the server).

Yet, we still ended up with considerably more food than we could begin to eat and a hefty check to boot. Silly place.

My pet peeve when dining is to have food pushed on me in any capacity. Cheesy selling techniques should be reserved for the used car lot.

• 11 months later...
Rocks,

Were the bathrooms nice?  Was the sink in the restroom bowl like?

Off topic, but for bizarre, unisex, opulent, mind-blowing bathrooms, get your bottom to Mie and Yu. Don't eat anything, just drink a lot to facilitate frequent trips downstairs. It grows more impressive with every drinkie.

Resident Twizzlebum

With respect to decor, they're quite different:

Mie n Yu: luxe, opulent, lots of different rooms

Dragonfly: rather spare, not all that comfortable, smoky

With respect to the food, they pretty similar:

I won't eat in either spot! :raz:

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

Dragonfly:

What you need to know: Do not wear yellow-based foundation as white decor makes it look washed out

Decor: Austere

Highlight: Lounge on second floor

Seating: Exquisitely uncomfortable plastic chairs reminiscent of Soviet street car seats

Food: Average but serviceable sushi

One good thing: Always darkened, so if you're drunk, it's not immediately obvious

If bored or tired of eye contact, pretend to be fascinated by: Weird Japanese movies projected on screen

Perfect for :Chilling out when ass is tired from shaking at nearby Cafe Citron at 2 am.

In a nutshell: Has its time and place

Mie'N'Yu:

What you need to know: They deny entrance to people in tennis shoes regardless of how many Russian hotties accompany them and stall people at the door to create illusion of line while inside has plenty of room.

Seating: Very comfortable.

One good thing: Weird but opulent bathrooms.

Food: Pretentious overpriced menu with separate sections for proteins and starches.

If bored or tired of eye contact, pretend to be fascinated by: Stunning decor a la Buddha Bar in Paris. Birdcage VIP booth.

Perfect for: Impressing relatives visiting from provinces (if they remember not to wear tennis shoes.)

In a nutshell: Pretentious asshole Eurotrash wannabes (not to be confused with genuine Rude Euros.)

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

Dragonfly:

What you need to know: Do not wear yellow-based foundation as white decor makes it look washed out

Decor: Austere

Highlight: Lounge on second floor

Seating: Exquisitely uncomfortable plastic chairs reminiscent of Soviet street car seats

Food: Average but serviceable sushi

One good thing: Always darkened, so if you're drunk, it's not immediately obvious

If bored or tired of eye contact, pretend to be fascinated by: Weird Japanese movies projected on screen

Perfect for :Chilling out when ass is tired from shaking at nearby Cafe Citron at 2 am.

In a nutshell: Has its time and place

Mie'N'Yu:

What you need to know: They deny entrance to people in tennis shoes regardless of how many Russian hotties accompany them and stall people at the door to create illusion of line while inside has plenty of room. 

Seating: Very comfortable.

One good thing: Weird but opulent bathrooms.

Food: Pretentious overpriced menu with separate sections for proteins and starches. 

If bored or tired of eye contact, pretend to be fascinated by: Stunning decor a la Buddha Bar in Paris. Birdcage VIP booth.

Perfect for: Impressing relatives visiting from provinces (if they remember not to wear tennis shoes.)

In a nutshell: Pretentious asshole Eurotrash wannabes (not to be confused with genuine Rude Euros.)

Mmmmmm......... sounds like 2 good places to avoid.

Mark

I agree on Mie N Yu. As soon as you walk in the door you feel as if everyone takes out a pen and paper and starts judging your clothes.  Way too eurotrash for me.

And aside from that (and more importantly to me) the food is horrible, especially for the prices they charge. I went once with a group of friends who really wanted to go and we walked out of there feeling like we didn't even get kissed before they bent us over.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson