• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vanilla Beans: The Topic

torakris

• 8 months later...

So I made twice baked brioche to improve myself through baking, and I bought three vanilla beans at $1.25 each. After tasting the syrup I am totally hooked on vanilla beans for a LOT of uses where I previously used extract. Everybody says to save and dry the beans but the only use I've heard of for the used beans is to flavor sugar. I already have two pods in my sugar canister, so what else can I do with these?

And how long should I leave old beans in the canister? Is there a shelf life on these?

split them, scrape out the tiny little grains with the point of a knife and beat into mascarpone with a combination of some of the below:

- rum/brandy/Cointreau

- sugar

- grated lemon/orange rind

- chopped fresh mint/basil

- strong black coffee or bitter chocolate

then use to fill a pastry case and top with sliced fruit for instant dessert.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I just picked up 12 vanilla beans from the Baker's catalogue, and will be trying to make my own extract. Any suggestions/pointers I should heed?

I'm planning to put it in a glass bottle with about 18 ounces of vodka, and let it steep for a month.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I just picked up 12 vanilla beans from the Baker's catalogue, and will be trying to make my own extract. Any suggestions/pointers I should heed?

I'm planning to put it in a glass bottle with about 18 ounces of vodka, and let it steep for a month.

check out this thread for a few tips. Making Vanilla Extract Thread

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

An interesting idea is a recipe for pineapple-vanilla infused tequila or rum credited to Mark Miller (Coyote Cafe) and adapted by W. Park Kerr in "Burning Desires". It's delicious.

You chop up fresh pineapple and add to tequila or rum with light brown sugar or piloncillo (mexican raw sugar) and vanilla bean. Shake and let sit for at least 2 weeks.

Rough proportions are 1 large pineapple, 1 liter bottle of tequila or rum, 2.5 oz pioncillo or 1/3 cup light brown sugar and 1 vanilla bean.

This recipe uses fresh beans, maybe one could compensate by using more beans and/or for a longer time.

The sieved liqueur makes excellent margaritas and you can use the pineapple as a topping melted with butter and additional brown sugar.

Yumm! :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The wife of one of my cooking-school instructors used to cadge his old, dried beans (post vanilla-sugar stage) and pulverise them in her food processor. She'd sprinkle them into her linen closet after the periodic cleanings, then put her sheets back. Of course, if you're a pastrychef, that's the last thing you'd want on your sheets!

The pods will retain potency for a while, and can be re-used to some extent. Try adding a previously-used pod to your pot of milk, when you make cocoa or hot chocolate. The flavour will still come through, though to a lesser degree. I've also spoken to people who use the older pods to "stretch" their use of new (expensive) pods; ie if recipe calls for three beans, use two new and two old.

Also, the used beans can be used to provide a *hint* of vanilla flavour in a savoury dish...though that would be the last use for a specific bean, I should think.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

For the best tasting vanilla, use Cognac. Or a more affordable version, brandy. Just keep adding a couple of new beans or used pods every time you fill up the bottle with more liquor.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

They can be ground and added to a brine or sweet pickling solution for fruits. Add to confit of stone fruit to round the aroma, and acids present. For that matter any thing that carries an unpleasant acid not, can be subdued by the addition of mellow vanilla.

Instead of thinking in terms of specific recipes, try to think by way of generalization of flavor structure. Sure there some flavors that were "made for each other", but categorizing flavors allows us to have a broader spectrum to play in.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

• 2 years later...

I would make either (or both) creme brulee or vanilla ice cream. Vanilla recipes don't come much simpler than these or much more delicious. I can help with recipes if you like.....just let me know.

Edited to say that if you insert a vanilla pod in a jar of sugar, your sugar will eventually be infused with the scent and flavour of vanilla, and this can be put to good use when baking cakes.

Edited by Rachellindsay (log)

I have an assortment of tahitian and mexican vanilla beans. Any good recipes I should try? Thanks!

To add to Rachel's excellent suggestion, Rum Drenched Vanilla Pound Cakes - Dori Greenspans Baking - From My Home to Yours. Also, if you have Baking by Flavor by Lisa Yockelson, there's a whole fabulous section on vanilla. Some very yummy vanilla buns in that cookbook.

And, on the simpler side, vanilla custard, vanilla infused rice pudding....

Enjoy the vanilla beans.

Edited for deplorable spelling.

Edited by SondraG (log)

That's funny because i'm just writing a post about vanilla for my blog.

I will include:

- descriptions of my favourites vanilla beans: mexican, bourbon and tahitian

- a recipe for Pierre Hermé's Emotion infiniment vanille.

Here is a little tease:

gallery_48830_3725_85432.png

It's basically (from top to bottom):

- vanilla chiboust (well, i know that the original Emotion calls for creme de mascarpone, but i forgot to buy mascarpone and thought a chisboust would work well, adding creaminess to the whole thing)

- baba infused with vanilla syrup

- light vanilla 'gelée'

With this 'entremet' you really get what it's all about: VANILLA.

Simply perfect to allow vanilla to develop a full and satisfying flavour.

- fanny

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

Lucky you, to have extra vanilla beans lying around.

How about this--

Slit open a vanilla bean, cut it into 1/2-inch pieces, and combine it in a jar with 1/2 cup of any fruit brandy. Shake the jar to combine well. Let sit for 2 weeks. You can use this delicious infusion as a substitute for vanilla extract in recipes.

Lots of great suggestions here, and the first thing I would do would be to drop it into a bottle of vodka and hide it from myself!

Only thing I can add is steeping vanilla bean in a good bottle of bourbon. Great for dark cakes and cookies, and makes the most amazing bourbon pecan pie!

• 11 months later...

I have made 10 lbs. of Vanilla Sugar for Christmas gifts and will sift out the split and scrapped beans out in a couple of weeks. The last time I checked the beans were all sugary. I hate to throw these beans away.

Anyone have any ideas for a use for these sugared split Vanilla Beans?

Thanks,

Don

I have made 10 lbs. of Vanilla Sugar for Christmas gifts and will sift out the split and scrapped beans out in a couple of weeks.  The last time I checked the beans were all sugary.  I hate to throw these beans away.

Anyone have any ideas for a use for these sugared split Vanilla Beans?

Thanks,

Don

Interesting, I have the same thing going. I have a dozen 12 oz bottles of vanilla steeping and one small bowl of sugar. I made half of the vanilla from vodka and half from brandy. I also have one small bottle made from tequilla.

i sometimes stick a couple spent vanilla beans in a bottle of (good but not fabulous) balsamic vinegar. doesn't make vanilla balsamic--just adds a subtle layer of flavor. so if you have tons of medium-good balsamic around...or if you want to start more presents...

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook