• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

I have been very pleased with Madagascar beans from SloFood Group: https://www.slofoodgroup.com.  Their prices are better than most, and perhaps 90% of the beans are fatter and more moist than others I have tried.  They also have a substantial variety of vanillas and offer frequent sales.  I looked at the Hawaiian ones Kriss Harvey likes, and the beans look wonderful (at least the ones in the photos, and especially in the photo I saw from Kriss on Instagram).  As far as price goes, the nearest comparison I could do of Laie and Slofoodgroup is 1 oz. of Laie is $50 whereas 2 oz. of Slofood is $30.  Most recently I bought a 4 oz. bag from Slofood for $50, and it contained approximately 20 beans.   Even if a few of the Slofood beans are not as juicy as one wishes, the price difference is substantial.

Jim D.

Jim D.

I have been very pleased with Madagascar beans from SloFood Group: https://www.slofoodgroup.com.  Their prices are better than most, and perhaps 90% of the beans are fatter and more moist than others I have tried.  They also have a substantial variety of vanillas and often frequent sales.  I looked at the Hawaiian ones Kriss Harvey likes, and the beans look wonderful (at least the ones in the photos, and especially in the photo I saw from Kriss on Instagram).  As far as price goes, the nearest comparison I could do of Laie and Slofoodgroup is 1 oz. of Laie is $50 whereas 2 oz. of Slofood is $30.  Most recently I bought a 4 oz. bag from Slofood for $50, and it contained approximately 20 beans.   Even if a few of the Slofood beans are not as juicy as one wishes, the price difference is substantial.