• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My upcoming trip to DC

slbunge

My wife has a conference in DC starting on Thursday (2/5) and I will be joining her on Saturday (note: I'm ingoring the 'spouse program' activities). After doing some research, I have come up with the itinerary listed below. A few qualifiers: we are staying on Scott Circle and our preference is walking or metro (although cab is an option); we will be focused on seafood while eating out; breakfasts will likely be unplanned and the result of my solo explorations between the convention center and the museums.

Friday

Dinner - Jaleo (it was either this or Cafe Atlantico...not sure how Jaleo won)

Saturday

Lunch - Johnny's Half Shell (dining alone, wife has a conference lunch)

Afternoon Beer - RFD (oooooh, I can't wait)

Dinner - Citronelle's Bar (I was hooked when I read 'lobster burger')

Sunday

Lunch (late) - Zatinya

Dinner - Pesce (had a great meal here several years ago)

Monday

Lunch - Nectar

Dinner - Matchbox (meeting friends, need to be near Spy Museum)

Tuesday

Lunch - Sea Catch

If any locals have alternative suggestions (or breakfast joints near the convention center) bring them on. Also, if you read this and you are thinking "You crazy midwestern rube, you can't go to ___ on ___ night!" I'd be interested in hearing those things as well. Questions, concerns, suggestions and sarcastic comments are all welcome.

By the way, thanks to the DC & DelMarVa folks for having an active board. It sure helps us travellers.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Teasim, which is in between the Mall and the convention center, is a great spot for breakfast. The tea cured salmon is great.

Otherwise, your list looks great.

I would recommend looking into Ceiba. Although I haven't gotten over there yet, it has received rave reviews around here.

Since you are in the mood for seafood I would check out the happy hour at Old Ebbit. I think it is only Mon.-Thurs. from 3-7 but they have great oyster and clam specials.

Don't forget Julia's Kitchen at American History.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

You have clearly done your research! For Zaytinya, I recommend printing the thread dedicated to that spot so when you see the huge menu, you won't feel overwhelmed. IMHO a primer makes this spot go from good to great. As I mentioned on the Zaytinya thread, I liked the place after a visit or two, but didn't really get the fuss. But then...suggestions...informed ordering...bingo! Incredible meals.

At Matchbox, I recommend trying to sit on the third level (unless anyone in your party has trouble with stairs). I find it to be the coziest part of the restaurant. 2nd level is a little busy. Bar level is attractive, but if it's cold outside (and it sure has been), it's very drafty by the bar.

When at the Spy Museum, don't be tempted by the attractive Zola (unless you get a cocktail and nothing else). It's just not worth it.

I'm trying to think of something new to add, but you did a really great job with your itinerary.

There isn't too much breakfastwise around the Convention Center. A few hotels nearby offer breakfasts but these are standard overpriced Marriott breakfasts, not anything special.

If you can get closer to Dupont Circle, see if Tabard Inn is serving breakfast. Also I've been wanting to try breakfast at Melrose for the past year but have never made it there...23rd and M, in the Park Hyatt, and it's supposed to be amazing. I had brunch on a Sunday once at Bistro Bis on the Hill (Hotel George) and really enjoyed it, and I think they serve a more limited menu during the week. (I love starting a day with a warm croissant and a bacon-frisee-poached egg salad.)

Your lunch and dinner choices are great. Wow, you must have read everything we wrote for the past year to come up with that list! Have a great visit.

Slbunge,

The bar at Johnny's Half Shell is a great place to eat lunch (or dinner). I would recommend *dinner* at Nectar if you can schedule it.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I would recommend *dinner* at Nectar if you can schedule it.

Me too. If you can't switch the two meals this day, I'd recommend swapping with Matchbox and going there for lunch. I also recommend Ceiba and Ortanique for seafood.

I'm not a local and this is not seafood, but I wouldn't go to DC without stopping into Galileo for a serving of Roberta Donna's truffle risotto, for a lunch or part of a progressive dinner, if not for a full dinner. Just a thought... I'm quite a fanatic about that risotto.

Your plan looks wonderful! Please report back!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Hmmm, that's funny--I'm going to be working that show. I was just about to start my own thread when I saw this one. Don't worry, I'm not a rep--I'm just a graphic designer.

My requirements are a little different since I'll be working most of the time--if I'm lucky I'll have a morning or afternoon to myself once in a while but mostly I'll be running between the hotel (Mayflower) and the convention center. I'll also have a 25-year old colleague in tow who likes trendy Mediterranean places--she will branch out to Thai or sushi but won't eat at "dirty" places. We have a meal allowance--$35/day but I always pad it with my own money if I find a place I like.

So, my needs are:

--cheap & quick breakfast & lunch places between hotel & CC

--middle-priced relaxing dinner spots not too far away

--a place to get a Guinness & a steak (a tradition of mine)

--a trendy bar/lounge

--a few top spots to put on the entertainment account

Here's the list I have so far in no particular order:

Johnny's Half Shell, Zorba's, Teaism, Bistro du Coin, Obelisk, Gabriel, Al Tiramisu, Childe Harold, Kozy Korner, Penang, Malaysia Kopitiam, Rice, Blackie's House of Beef, Nectar, Firefly, Sushi Taro, El Chalan.

Sorry to bust in on your thread.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Johnny's Half Shell, Zorba's, Teaism, Bistro du Coin, Obelisk, Gabriel, Al Tiramisu, Childe Harold, Kozy Korner, Penang, Malaysia Kopitiam, Rice, Blackie's House of Beef, Nectar, Firefly, Sushi Taro, El Chalan.

I would narrow the list by cutting Childe Harold. BdC is fun and tasty.

Kozy Korner? Where's that?

I've never heard of it either.

You might want to check out Jaleo. Also, there is an Irish pub in between the convention center and MCI. I think it's Fado.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Kozy Korner?  Where's that?

You might want to check out Jaleo. Also, there is an Irish pub in between the convention center and MCI. I think it's Fado.

Kozy Korner is at 20th & N--apparently it's a real diner or close to it--the food is supposed to be good. Just the place for a late breakfast on my morning off after a hard night of entertaining.

I like that Fado--it was the first one I'd ever been to. Much cozier than the one in Chicago where I ended up because I hadn't done my homework on egullet first. I probably loved it more because I didn't know it was a chain, but it became my home away from home on a previous trip a few years ago (same show).

I forgot to say that I love Marrakesh and was planning to drag a group there by cab but Zaytinya might fit the same bill and be more appealing to the crowd--dare I ask, what's the call?

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Kozy Korner?  Where's that?

Kozy Korner is at 20th & N--apparently it's a real diner or close to it--the food is supposed to be good. Just the place for a late breakfast on my morning off after a hard night of entertaining.

I like that Fado--it was the first one I'd ever been to. Much cozier than the one in Chicago where I ended up because I hadn't done my homework on egullet first. I probably loved it more because I didn't know it was a chain, but it became my home away from home on a previous trip a few years ago (same show).

I forgot to say that I love Marrakesh and was planning to drag a group there by cab but Zaytinya might fit the same bill and be more appealing to the crowd--dare I ask, what's the call?

Zaytinya. Might be my favorite place in the city in terms of both food and atmosphere.

Bill Russell

... Blackie's House of Beef ...

Remember the song (maybe from Sesame Street) "One of These Things Is Not Like the Others"? For my beef-buying dollar, you can do waaaaaaaaaay better than Blackie's.

Depending on the atmosphere you want, Capital Grill, Caucus Room, Morton's, or Les Halles will all provide what is in my view a better meal. People seem to be flocking to Ray's The Steaks in VA (as a result of mucho props from Tom Sietsema), but I haven't been so I can't say.

People seem to be flocking to Ray's The Steaks in VA (as a result of mucho props from Tom Sietsema)

I was surprised to see in last week's chat that the chef there asked Tom to stop referring people to his restaurant.

Bill Russell

I would narrow the list by cutting Childe Harold. BdC is fun and tasty.

While I am a big fan of and a regular at BdC, Childe Harold is also always fun and entertaining. Friday and Saturday their kitchen is open till 2 AM. A well known Georgetown character used to refer to the Childe as "Darwin's Waiting Room". :laugh:

Mark

Hmmm, that's funny--I'm going to be working that show. I was just about to start my own thread when I saw this one. Don't worry, I'm not a rep--I'm just a graphic designer.

My requirements are a little different since I'll be working most of the time--if I'm lucky I'll have a morning or afternoon to myself once in a while but mostly I'll be running between the hotel (Mayflower) and the convention center. I'll also have a 25-year old colleague in tow who likes trendy Mediterranean places--she will branch out to Thai or sushi but won't eat at "dirty" places. We have a meal allowance--$35/day but I always pad it with my own money if I find a place I like.

So, my needs are:

--cheap & quick breakfast & lunch places between hotel & CC

--middle-priced relaxing dinner spots not too far away

--a place to get a Guinness & a steak (a tradition of mine)

--a trendy bar/lounge

--a few top spots to put on the entertainment account

Sorry to bust in on your thread.

Bag Blackie's -- it hasn't been a restaurant to be reckoned with since the early 70's.

Childe Harold is a drinks-only place, the food is edible but not something to seek out. Likewise, Zorba's is pretty generic, though not bad. I'd go there for a cheap gyro, but I wouldn't go far out of my way for it.

Other good bars in that area are the Lucky Bar (hip dive) on Connecticut Avenue at N St, and The Fox and Hounds, a (dive dive) on 17th at Q (same block as Sushi Taro). If you like Kozy Corner (a fine but unexceptional diner), try Trio's, next to the Fox, for quality club sandwiches, wine by the glass, real milk shakes and long-neck Buds'.

If you want to get to BdC, avoid 7-9 if possible. The waits can be long and the service a parody of Gallic indifference. Since you're working the show, that will likely not be a problem.

I note that neither you nor slbunge have considered Ethiopian. I'd recommend that you give it a try, as DC has some great Ethiopian places, including Addis Ababa and Dukem. Both are located in nightclub districts, so you can try something different while stumbling from hipster hangout to jazz club.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.