• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plum Torte in the NY Times: How does it feel

In its posting in 1989 (year 7), you mentioned how surprisingly dependent readers were on seeing the recipe each year. Like many others, I finally followed your advice and taped the recipe on my cabinet door, even though I've made it so many times that I've got it memorized. It is a never-fail, always impressive recipe -- my go-to dessert.

How does it feel to create such an immensely popular recipe? If that's all you were every known for, would you be happy or sad?

Thank you for joining us!

I would love to take credit for the recipe, but I can't. I made a few small changes in it but it was a contribution to the first cookbook I wrote, Elegant But Easy, of my co-author, Los Levine. It was not her recipe either and I'm not sure where it came from.

What I did do is promote it in the Times for many years and put it in at least three of my cookbooks, including the latest, Cooking for Comfort.

I think it is beloved because it is so easy and so delicious. I once made 24 at one time and put them in a friend's freezer for the winter. She went on vacation; her mother came to take care of her children and when she returned home she called and asked me how many I had put in the freezer. "24 and 2 were for your.'' Long silence.

My mother must have loved them. There are only xx left. Tday I can't remember whether there were only 12 left or less.

It wouldn't be a bad thing to be remembered for!