• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[PDX] Dinner for a group on short notice

The trees are blossoming right now. It's very nice. I don't think they'll be done by the time you get here. It was a gorgeous weekend and all the streets were lined with huge pink, purple, and white bursting balls of petals. Definitely a good time of year to go to the Japanese Garden if it's nice weather.

If you're looking for eating companions, just post or PM.

Okay: I printed out everything here so far (thank you, thank you!!), and some of the stuff from WW Cheap Eats (or is that out right now, so I could pick it up tomorrow?).

The only time I absolutely have to be at the conference is when HWOE does his panel, Sunday morning. Other than that, I'm free days (with a car); will probably have one dinner with other conference folk (the raison d'etre of this thread) :smile: and have no trouble bringing HWOE along to meet other eGulleteers (he DOES like to eat AND talk :wink: ).

We'll bring our laptop, so I will be able to get online occasionally.

Has that Saturday Market indeed started? If so, and if anyone is going, may I meet you there and tag along?

ExtraMSG, you still up for getting together? :wub:

The WW Cheap Eats should be free all around town right now. I still need to pick it up myself.

My wife has two of her high school aged sisters up this weekend, so I have nothing to do (unless I want to work, blech). In fact, because today was such crappy weather, I didn't take any pictures, so if you want to do any culinary touring, just PM me or call me (I'll PM you my number).

The Saturday Market is indeed going (both Sat and Sun, actually). Here's their site:

http://www.saturdaymarket.org/

Unfortunately, the good weather left us and you may have to endure a lot of rain and clouds.

I'm moving this weekend, but I could be up for something too...

One thing to keep in mind for group dinners, I've been hearing that clarklewis is unbearably loud from a couple of different people who went there, and it popped up on chowhound too.

regards,

trillium

It was fun meeting you, Suzanne! I had a really good time! Let us know when you come to town again! :biggrin:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Just back from the trip -- had a wonderful time! It turned out that HWOE and I never got a group together. But following recommendations from eG'ers, we ate really, really well!! I'll go into more detail in a while, but for now the quick list is:

- Hayden Steakhouse (at the Doubletree Jantzen Beach): surprisingly good for a hotel restaurant

- Ken's Artisan Bakery: everything everyone said, and more. Wow!

- Karam: Mmmm, goat. Mmmm, artichokes. Mmmm, everything.

- Pix: edible art!

- Wildwood: if that's Northwest food, how soon can I move there?

- Reel 'M Inn (by myself): recommended by the WW Cheap Eats, and worth the recommendation.

- clark-lewis: yes, it was LOUD. But yes, it was wonderful. And very reasonable in price, by our standards.

I also -- finally -- made my first-ever visit to a Trader Joe's. And other wondrous stores, especially Powell's on Hawthorne. Oh. My. God.

And it was great to meet ExtraMSG (who was willing to drive me around), and Jill and Pam (wait -- which of you is duckduck??). And Jim Dixon, even though it was in connection with business of the daily 9 to 5 type (the reason HWOE had to be there).

So thanks for the recs and the hospitality! :biggrin:

I'm Pam. Jil is Jill-O. I'm so glad you had a good time! Come again soon! Maybe someday we'll all go to NY and you can show us around!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."