• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresco by Scotto

menton1

My attention was called to this restaurant by a 15 minute piece on Andrea Immer's Wine Show on TV. The place looked beautiful, and the food dishes they presented, including Antipasto w/ asparagus, and Braised Lamb, looked spectacular.

A check of their website revealed an interesting, promising menu. A search of Eg showed no discussion of this restaurant in the past.

Has anybody been to this place, and does it live up to the grand expectations garnered by the TV show and the website?

There is a thread somewhere on here from sometime around October/November I started asking for recommendations for a mother/daughter outing to NYC. One rec was Fresco by Scotto for lunch. Some EGers liked it, others advised against it. Well...

We decided to throw caution to the wind and go. The place is packed at lunch time, we were early which was a good thing. The room is very nice looking.

The food, I am sorry to say was just ok, nothing special. And that's a real shame because it was very pricey. We enjoyed most a grilled pizza, thin, crackery like crust with nice light tomato and cheese. A pasta entree was pedestrian, salads were lifeless, and a bread basket was good but cost extra.

Very crowded, loud, inattentive service. A waiter was standing next to me almost the entire duration of our meal in order to be close to a 6 top he was waiting on. Yech.

I say skip it. It shoulda been better.

I have eaten there about 100 times (note: mostly on an expense account) and always liked it a lot. But it sounds like I'm in the minority.

PS I saw a famous face there just about every visit, HOWEVER it was, without fail, someone random. Example: Florence Henderson.

Edited by JennyUptown (log)