• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Forgot to add photo

Since it's been a while since I cooked from Zuni, after posting the sardine crostini, I re-read the thread and noted this comment from @ludja, way back near the beginning. 

On 2/1/2004 at 7:42 AM, ludja said:

A wonderful ending I have made are the chocolate pots de creme---especially if you have access to a good chocolate. As she suggests, it's best not to overcook these. I'm not a huge *chocolate-all-the-time* fanatic, but enjoy small desserts with a rich chocolate flavor. These fit the bill! I've had them slightly warm out of the oven and after being chilled, with a thin blanket of heavy cream on top and also with whipped cream...schlag. :smile:

So I went ahead and made the chocolate pots de crème.  My ramekins hold about 3 oz, smaller than the specified 4-5 oz so I shortened the cooking time but they still got a little overcooked.  I probably shouldn't have used the CSO as I know it overshoots the temp from time to time.  So the texture isn't quite perfect but the flavor is still very good and I would make them again.  The recipe gives the option of adding "a splash" of Cointreau or Frangelico before baking.  Since I was just playing around, I made one plain and flavored the others with Cointreau, Green Chartreuse or Coffee flavored rum.

Here's the Chartreuse version with a small glass of the same spirit:

987588588_IMG_4272(1).thumb.jpeg.cd51451e86ab359a859071dc54bdee61.jpeg

The glass is quite petite and holds just about an ounce.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Forgot to add photo

Since it's been a while since I cooked from Zuni, after posting the sardine crostini, I re-read the thread and noted this comment from @ludja, way back near the beginning. 

A wonderful ending I have made are the chocolate pots de creme---especially if you have access to a good chocolate. As she suggests, it's best not to overcook these. I'm not a huge *chocolate-all-the-time* fanatic, but enjoy small desserts with a rich chocolate flavor. These fit the bill! I've had them slightly warm out of the oven and after being chilled, with a thin blanket of heavy cream on top and also with whipped cream...schlag. :smile:

So I went ahead and made the chocolate pots de crème.  My ramekins hold about 3 oz, smaller than the specified 4-5 oz so I shortened the cooking time but they still got a little overcooked.  I probably shouldn't have used the CSO as I know it overshoots the temp from time to time.  So the texture isn't quite perfect but the flavor is still very good and I would make them again.  The recipe gives the option of adding "a splash" of Cointreau or Frangelico before baking.  Since I was just playing around, I made one plain and flavored the others with Cointreau, Green Chartreuse or Coffee flavored rum.

9DD350EA-ED11-4EC7-824F-455FB1EFF4C5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b4fdcfb3935ac6466400e3f9d656f35d.jpeg

The glass is quite petite and holds just about an ounce.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin