• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I gots shrimp, I gots scallops, I wants ravioli!

pleiades

Should I cook these suckers together and then puree with a little ricotta and herbs? Or just puree one and chop the other? Or chop both?

A simple pomadoro? Or put one in the ravioli and use the other in the sauce. I can't make up my bloody mind and need some input. Thanks, y'all.

IMO, a tomato sauce would just obscure the delicate flavor of the seafood. Ricotta and shrimp/scallops doesn't do too much for me either.

I'd be inclined to chop them both, with herbs and maybe a little pureed potato for the filling -- then do a simple brown butter, perhaps with a few capers.

That's my two cents. :smile:

--

IMO, a tomato sauce would just obscure the delicate flavor of the seafood. Ricotta and shrimp/scallops doesn't do too much for me either.

I'd be inclined to chop them both, with herbs and maybe a little pureed potato for the filling -- then do a simple brown butter, perhaps with a few capers.

That's my two cents. :smile:

I admit, my thoughts turn less towards tomato also and more along the lines of what slkinsey suggested.

I like the idea of fillilng the raviolo with a potato-garlic puree, with maybe the shrimp included. Then serve with a lemon butter (and maybe white wine) sauce, seared scallops and maybe some sauteed greens. like spinach. (I just really like the texture and flavor of the seared scallops and would hate to lose them to a puree).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I was inclined to keep the scallops whole as well. good advice about the tomatoes you all. Sage butter might be too strong as well... Been too busy to cook in a couple weeks so I'm a little rusty on the riffing. Thanks for the jump start!

I make a seafood mousseline. Puree 1lb seafood(raw), 1c cold manufacturing cream, 1 whole egg or 2 whites, s&p. Do. not overprocess. Fold in fresh herbs(italian parsley, etc,,,) maybe reserve some shimp-whole or chopped depending on size to fold in.

I've used buerre noisette, truffle oil or tomato cream sauce to sauce in the past.

BTW, what size scallops? fresh or frozen? Would be a waste to process u10 drypacks for a filling ;). Same with a nice jumbo shrimp, lol.

hth, danny

I make a seafood mousseline. Puree 1lb seafood(raw), 1c cold manufacturing cream, 1 whole egg or 2 whites, s&p. Do. not overprocess. Fold in fresh herbs(italian parsley, etc,,,) maybe reserve some shimp-whole or chopped depending on size to fold in.

I've used buerre noisette, truffle oil or tomato cream sauce to sauce in the past.

Hmm... I might like the mousseline filling better than the potato...

Dano1 may know more details, but what I know about manufacturing cream is that it has a higher butterfat content than heavy whipping cream. I don't know else about how it is/or is not treated. Where I buy it, it comes with an even thicker layer of cream on top of the cream. I stir that in before using. *Be careful whipping it, it can turn to butter very easily if you don't pay attention--known from experience!*

Also, as mentioned above, the size/quality of the little seafood beasties would seem to be a factor in whether to puree or not...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

I used to go to a place that made the best ravioli, it was a black (squid ink) pasta with a lobster filling atop a saffron cream sauce. Mmm. So, what I'm suggesting here is making your seafood filling (the mousseline sounds good) and serve the pasta with saffron cream. I like the idea of keeping the scallops whole as well. Perhaps just make the filling with shrimp and cook the scallps in the cream sauce for just a minute or two before serving? Start with a thick sauce as the scallops will thin it out.

Another option that sounds good to me is to chop the shrimp and slice the scallops and mix with a mild goat cheese and sauteed shallots. Throw in some parsley (or, better, chervil). Lightly sauce with a cream sauce with the same herb (and saffron too?).

--- Lee

Seattle

Scallops are a "standard carrier" for a seafood mousseline. Of course other fish and seafood may me used but they create an excellent emulsion. Whole bay or chopped larger shrimp add taste, textural, and visual components to the mousseline.

As said a saffron sauce would be great too. I start shallot in whole butter-no coloring-lightly toast saffron threads, white wine and reduce, cream and reduce-skimming any scum/froth. Pass and season. A little chix stock will help to lighten the sauce if it's too rich. If you've got shells from the shrimp a quick shrimp stock will work as a base for your sauce also. You could cream this or mount with butter for a heart attack ;).

Maybe sweated small dice of fennel, tomato, something to round out garnish & flavor. Sorry, rambling on now....

hth, danny

Chunks of shrimp in a mousseline sounds great.

The only thing I have to add is: if the shrimp are in their shells, use those to make a base for the sauce. You know, your basic [saute the shells -- add aromatics -- add fish stock and white wine -- cook 1/2 hour or so] stock.

Oh, dano1 already said that. Great minds, etc. :biggrin:

Actually I made bouillabase last night. I threw the shrimp shells as well as the skin of the rockfish and the trout into the same pot the stew came out of, added water, and simmered for a couple of hours. Strained it and froze it this morning. I should pull that out now.

I have vegetarians tonight and they won't eat anything with chicken stock. Fish aren't cuddly so they're ok (except perhaps cuddlefish? Who knows.)

Yeesh! I know this is TMI, but we just used that little EPT test and it's positive! Now how am I supposed to focus on getting ready for a dinner party when I just found out I'm going ot be a freakin' daddy, and right now I do mean freakin'!!!

:blink::laugh: well basically the whole range of smilies is appropriate.

Wow, congratulations Pleiades!! A *little* more excitement than what's for dinner tonight! :smile:

I decided that, while nice, the scallops would indeed be fed to the queez for this mousseline from dano1, and I did finish it with chopped shrimp. It smells fantastic, I can't wait. Popped it in the fridge to rest a bit while I get to the pasta making.

I've got broccolini for the veggie, something kinda bitter to contrast the sweet richness of the pasta course; figure I'll pan saute that. I will use some white wine and this seafood stock from last night as a base for saffron cream sauce, as you all so wonderfully suggested. I picked up some fantastically good Reggiano for table, and bottles of white wine with varying degrees of acidity to fit all the tastes of my guests.

Thanks again-

P