• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Dried Beans

fifi

Is it possible that different people's experiences might be due to either 1/ beans being in a different state of preservation - maybe having spent differing numbers of years in storage (with differing dryness of storage), possibly even having had different drying methods or 2/ just using different varieties (let alone different types) of bean?

I find it hard to believe that there could be 'one true way' for absolutely all beans.

Or am I just an agnostic?

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I think there are something bean cookers who are having difficulty are missing from my earlier quote of Russ Parsons

"alkaline substances are VERY problematic. they'll stop cooking cold. this is why boston baked beans you add the molasses at the very end. it's also why in certain cities at certain times of year, beans will never soften (alkaline salts in the water)"

Is the water you are using alkaline? Could this be the reason you are having so much trouble getting the beans to soften?

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

• 1 month later...

Wow, my head is spinning after 8 pages of beans... I´m laughing out loud,- you people are mad! You´ve been talking about beans for 4 years now!! :laugh:

Right, well, I just read all those years worth of beans because I´ve been looking up recipes for falafel and I have a question, maybe you guys can help. All the recipes I´ve read say you should soak the beans overnight, discard the water, and process the chickpeas with the spices and whatnot. No extra cooking in water.

So, how come? Do the chickpeas "cook" in the hot oil through frying? Is this possible? Or is the crunchiness of the falafel due to the, er... slightly uncooked beans?

Thanks.. :smile:

• 1 month later...

Then there is "the Problem" with beans. This from McGee:

"for extended space flights, it may prove advantageous to select astronauts who produce minimal amounts of methane and hydrogen and who do not normally produce very large quantities of flatus; and... selection criteria for astronauts might be established to eliminate those candidates who demonstrate marked or excessive gastroenterologic responses to stress..." What a way to wash out!

Well, it does seem that there may be some science behind some folk wisdom. It seems that phenolics that are present in certain herbs and such may suppress some of the bacterial action in the lower gut. (The situation is that the oligosaccharides in beans are not digested in the upper GI tract and arrive in the lower as ample fodder for the bacteria there to do their thing.) So, addition of epizote by the Mexicans may have some merit if epizote has a lot of phenolics. I don't know. There is a gathering opinion that if you eat a lot of beans, your bacterial population will adjust and all will be well. What has me intensely curious is the test protocol and equipment used to test those astronauts. Inquiring minds want to know.

Australian scientists have discovered that kangaroos don't produce methane during the digestive process. The key difference is a completely different gut flora, i.e. different strains link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/2023371.stm

Kangaroos offer clue to global warming

It may be that the trend of lactobacillus preparations may well be replaced by other species in years to come. These may end flatulance and bloating altogether.

Back to the beans.

Since I tried cooking beans in a pressure cooker I can't imagine doing it any other way.

They rehydrate quickly and maintain texture and have that concentrated flavour that everything cooked in a pressure cooker seems to have.

I cook them in whatever stock is appropriate for the dish and never add salt anywhere in the process.

I leave that until the end of the dish.

I don't like salty food and much of the time there is enough salt in ham or bacon to season the dish.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone -

Even though my daughter and husband love beans, they get them very infrequently because I have never liked them and I do all of the cooking. When I make Chile, I divide it and add beans for them. I have learned to like hummus but thought that the whole garbanzo beans and olive oil we were served all over Italy were just OK. I have started making falafel also. That's about it. Since we have been eating less and less meat, I really want to like beans. We do eat edamame beans and love them. I also have started eating lentils, but they have to be the small french ones cooked al dente. I think maybe it is a texture thing.

I just ordered a bunch of beans from Rancho Gordo and am really going to try a bunch of types. Suggestions and recipes are very welcome. My family loves refried beans and baked beans but just the thought of making them makes me shutter. Any ideas for a non-bean lover?

I'm in the bean-hater camp, too.

The only bean dish that I will eat a whole bowl of willingly and happily is foul/ful mudammes (there are a number of different spellings for it). I like the sub-saharan version that's served hot with chopped onions, chiles, and I can't remember what else. But after one bowl, I can't look at it again for a few months (it's a bean thing).

Hi everyone -

Even though my daughter and husband love beans, they get them very infrequently because I have never liked them and I do all of the cooking.  When I make Chile, I divide it and add beans for them.  I have learned to like hummus but thought that the whole garbanzo beans and olive oil we were served all over Italy were just OK.  I have started making falafel also.  That's about it.  Since we have been eating less and less meat, I really want to like beans.  We do eat edamame beans and love them.  I also have started eating lentils, but they have to be the small french ones cooked al dente.  I think maybe it is a texture thing.

great soup: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...sta-Soup-238090

One of my favorite bean recipes is from Giada: Cannellini Beans with Herbs and Prosciutto.

Also I enjoy Tepary beans from Rancho Gordo using this recipe: Papago Tepary Bean Soup.

Very very good also, though a bit more complicated, is Emeril's recipe for Red Beans and Rice.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Another southern rice and bean combo is Hoppin' John, most often made with black eye beans (erroneously called black-eyed peas) however, any bean will work. It is just another of the combo dishes that makes a complete amino acid chain.

My favorite way is to partially cook thick-cut bacon and finish cooking it with the beans prior to combining with rice. I also often add cut green beans.

Hoppin' John recipe

Hoppin' John recipe - and history.

For something really hearty and different.

Brazilian bean and beef casserole.

Or you can always consider the classic cassolet.

And there is an extensive topic on eG about it.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Check out Steve Sando's book, Heirloom Beans (Chronicle Books) - he's the head honcho at Rancho Gordo, a fabulous dry bean producer! Tons of recipes for dried beans.

Hi everyone -

Even though my daughter and husband love beans, they get them very infrequently because I have never liked them and I do all of the cooking.  When I make Chile, I divide it and add beans for them.  I have learned to like hummus but thought that the whole garbanzo beans and olive oil we were served all over Italy were just OK.  I have started making falafel also.  That's about it.  Since we have been eating less and less meat, I really want to like beans.  We do eat edamame beans and love them.  I also have started eating lentils, but they have to be the small french ones cooked al dente.  I think maybe it is a texture thing.

I just ordered a bunch of beans from Rancho Gordo and am really going to try a bunch of types.  Suggestions and recipes are very welcome.  My family loves refried beans and baked beans but just the thought of making them makes me shutter.  Any ideas for a non-bean lover?

Omnivore Books on Food

New, Antiquarian and Collectible Books on Food

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I'm excited because many of the recommendations correspond to some of the beans I know I ordered. I have always wanted to try cassoulet! The Venetion Bean recipe is perfect for the cranberry beans I ordered, having no idea what to use them for. The red beans and rice recipe sounds incredible. I live in rural NW NJ and have a real hard time getting decent chorizo and andouille but have never looked for smoked ham hocks. Do they carry that in supermarkets?

I think I'll start with the Giada recipe for cannelini beans because I already have them cooked up in the freezer. If nothing else, my family will be quite happy.

One of things I remember ordering just because it looked pretty was Christmas Lima Beans. Any suggestions?

I tried to order mostly small beans thinking they would have less of the gushy texture I know I can't deal with. Having only used beans out of a can until recently starting with cannellini beans, can you cook beans al dente like I have been doing with lentils?

Prasantrin - Glad I have some company in the bean-hater department. I'll let you know how it goes....

Regarding Emeril's Red Beans and Rice recipe, I do think it's a bit too heavy as written. I'd omit the bacon grease (use olive oil instead) and possibly the smoked ham hock, but do not omit the smoked sausage.

One other thing I do differently... ok, two... I cook the beans in chicken stock and toward the end of cooking, I add a couple tablespoons of Heinz ketchup (you can use ~1/3c. tomato sauce, if you prefer) to give a rich tomato-y note. Adding a little dried oregano and smoked paprika would not be crazy talk.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I eat a lot of beans. Sometimes I use cannelini or a cranberry beans and make a hearty Italian-style soup with kale and other veggies. Mario Batali has some good recipes for soups like this--there are lots of variations.

These days I am into beans 'n' rice. I have been experimenting with different beans, like rattlesnake (hybrid of the pinto and better, I think, but hard to find!), rio zappe, flor de mayo and pinquito. The rio zappe is a good stand-in for red kidney beans--they are a dark reddish bean, hold their shape well, and are meaty. I have a basic method, and vary it according to my mood--sometimes more like red beans 'n' rice, sometimes more southwestern style, very simple, charro style or without the tomatoes. Any beans over rice can be dressed up or topped with different fun things. My husband likes his southwestern-style beans extra hot, so he adds roasted green chiles or cheese if there is some. I like it simple, and usually just add a sprinkle of minced white onion, salt and a squirt of lime juice.

Because I don't like fatty soups, instead of adding a ham hock and cooking it with the soup beans, I like to make a ham stock. I use smoked ham shanks instead of hocks, because they are meatier. So I make a large pot of ham stock with the shanks, onion, celery etc, then take the meat off the bones when it's very tender--at least two hours--and skim the fat. I freeze the stock and use it for cooking the beans that I serve over rice. The ham can be added back to the beans or used for hash or salad or whatever you like.

Because I don't like fatty soups, instead of adding a ham hock and cooking it with the soup beans, I like to make a ham stock. I use smoked ham shanks instead of hocks, because they are meatier. So I make a large pot of ham stock with the shanks, onion, celery etc, then take the meat off the bones when it's very tender--at least two hours--and skim the fat. I freeze the stock and use it for cooking the beans that I serve over rice. The ham can be added back to the beans or used for hash or salad or whatever you like.

mmm... that sounds good!

John DePaula
--------------------

It is yummy, and really convenient, once you've make the stock. I first got the idea from a NYT article about cooking collard greens. I don't really care for meat in my greens, but I like that smoky ham flavor, so I started to freeze the ham stock in small containers for when I made greens. Now I've graduated to quart containers for cooking beans. I could never have participated in that no-shopping challenge. I would have been drinking ham stock all week.

• 2 months later...

In case anyone missed it - in the recent Saveur they reported soaking is fine, even good in that it reduced cooking time by at least a quarter, it isn't necessary. The quick soak method had no effect on cooking time. Salt didn't change the texture or cooking time so salt as you like. They also said that if you include tomatoes, leave them out until the end because acidic ingredients make things cook much slower.

In case anyone missed it - in the recent Saveur they reported soaking is fine, even good in that it reduced cooking time by at least a quarter, it isn't necessary.  The quick soak method had no effect on cooking time.  Salt didn't change the texture or cooking time so salt as you like.  They also said that if you include tomatoes, leave them out until the end because acidic ingredients make things cook much slower.

I feel vindicated! I've always said that the soaking in hot water is like cooking, so wjy not just actually cook? Others say it helps with gas. I think McGhee disproved that or said the effect is so minimal, it's not worth the bother.

I still don't trust the salt thing with older beans of an unknown origin. I'll call it a quirk!

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

• 1 year later...

Bumping up this thread to see if anyone is cooking any new types of beans lately. I just tried RG's Rebosero beans and they are great. Somewhat like a Pinto, but they manage to retain their shape when cooked well even though they have a very tender skin. Really delicious--creamy, good flavor. My preference in southwestern style beans has been to use Rattlesnake beans, but they are getting scarce as hens' teeth. Highly recommend the Rebosero!

Going through some Flor de Mayo I bought way too much of back in Spring. A change from Pintos.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

• 5 weeks later...

We bought some of the large limas from Rancho Gordo and I prepared them for dinner last week.

I just want to say that it turned out to be one of the most delicious pots of any vegetables I think I've ever had.

I used one whole package of the large limas. I did soak them a bit - maybe a couple of hours.

Sauted a half-pound of bacon with two sliced yellow onions and two mashed garlic cloves and about a teaspoon of RG's magical Indio Oregano until the bacon was cooked and the onions were clear. Put the limas back into the pot and added chicken broth to cover limas to a depth of about two inches.

(Note - I didn't have any chicken broth in the freezer, so I used water and Knorr's "Caldo de Pollo.")

It didn't take long to cook up this pot to simmering perfection - maybe an hour, if that. I think perhaps it's because RG's beans are so fresh that they don't take as long.

I had planned to serve this as a side dish the first night, and then add some ham and serve with cornbread as our main the next night.

But there was not even so much as one drop left.

And now the whole family is clamoring for more.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm down the last of the beans I got from Rancho Gordo last January (Yellow Indian Woman, Flageolet, Good Mother Stallard, Tepary and Lila)

and am trying to decide what to order this time.

After reading Jaymes post, the large limas will be first on the list.

I have yet to cook any of the beans that have not been superior to beans from other vendors and as some are unavailable anywhere else, he will continue to supply mine.

I have been using my rice cooker to cook beans - no soaking necessary (2 to 3 cups of water per cup of dried beans) - and am very pleased with the results following the suggestions in the Ultimate Rice Cooker cookbook. :wub:

Sometimes the larger type beans are not yet done enough at the end of the "basic" cycle so, as instructed in the cookbook, I add boiling water and restart the cycle.

This method has some great advantages for the easily distracted (me, in the garden, forgetting to check the stuff on the stovetop) and I have not had a single incident of scorched beans, which require discarding the entire pot.

Works great with combination dishes also. And I even prepared a passable version of baked beans in the rice cooker. Not in the cookbook, it was an experiment that worked. Now I hope I can repeat it! :laugh:

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm down the last of the beans I got from Rancho Gordo last January (Yellow Indian Woman, Flageolet, Good Mother Stallard, Tepary and Lila)

and am trying to decide what to order this time.

After reading Jaymes post, the large limas will be first on the list.

Andie, they were these: Rancho Gordo giant white lima beans

Speaking as someone that thought she hated lima beans, these were an absolute revelation.

I still can't get over it.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I just placed an order. No Giant white lima on list - probably waiting for new crop.

I ordered a couple I have not yet tried.

Ojo de Cabra Bean (Goat's Eye)

Moro Beans     

Rebosero Bean                                

Snowcap Beans                                 

Christmas Lima Bean  

and

Amaranth Seeds  

I'll order the Giant limas when they are available.