• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rösti

What are your thoughts on using a metal rosti ring?

I'm not sure I understand what a metal rösti ring is? I have never seen one.

Here is my rosti ring:

gallery_42214_4635_46849.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Here is my rosti ring:

Ahh! I wouldn't use it unless it is important to the plating procedure to have a small rösti. The reason is, in the beginning, I mix the browned bits into the center of rösti then brown the outsides. It's just my technique and a little difficult to describe. I suppose you could free fry the rösti and just use the ring to form it at the end.

Edited by SWISS_CHEF (log)

Additional notes on rösti:

Here we serve a rösti on a special platter called a Röstiteller. Potters around the town of Thun are famous for them.

Like pizza, it can come with lots of toppings; poached pears covered in raclette cheese and dusted with curry powder is an example on the more creative side but anything you put on pizza can usually go on a rösti too.

Bacon and/or onions are often mixed into the potatoes before frying.

Often when we were served Züri Geschnetzeltes only half of the rösti would be plated, along with half of the veal. After devouring that, the second plateful would appear. I always swore I couldn't eat it all, but always did.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the Rosti tips. I will be moving to Zurich in a few months because of my husband's job. I am a chef instructor at Williams-Sonoma as well as a culinary school in New Jersey. I also do some catering. Any tips for me in my job search? It has been frustrating so far. Work papers should not be a problem as my husband will likely get a resident's permit so I can piggyback off of that. Thanks so much for any advice. Amy

Often when we were served Züri Geschnetzeltes only half of the rösti would be plated, along with half of the veal. After devouring that, the second plateful would appear. I always swore I couldn't eat it all, but always did.

Yes!!! :biggrin:

We also found a # of places in Switzerland that served sausage & rösti, which makes a nice pairing.

I once had a rösti up in Wengen that had the above mentioned bacon, onions & cheese all together in it. Having a wonderful sausage sitting next to it was overkill. Almost. :raz:

I read somewhere, I now have no idea where, that rösti was made as described up top, except that after the frying the mixture was turned out into a baking dish & popped into a hot oven for the final browning, thus cooking the potatoes 3 times. Until now I had assumed that this thrice-cooked approach was the traditional one. Is it not?

Gosh but I love rösti.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 1 year later...

So I has a taste for Rösti today, and went to make it. I looked for my recipe and could not find it. I found a recipe a while ago, that worked perfectly. I am pretty sure it started with raw potatoes, unlike many of the other recipes around. The real difference about this recipe was it's technique:

The main technique was putting a plate on top of the cooking potatoes. The writer of the recipe said that a plate that fits very tightly into the pan was essential.

So I made it today with peeled russets (what I had), that I cut with a mandoline into very small julliene - but a grater would work too - but probably release more starch as it's not as sharp. All I added was salt and some finely chopped onion. I used a non-stick pan. I fried it in drippings from sauteed beef - because I had it handy. After it was cooked I put some good cheese on top and melted it. Really great texture and taste.

It worked perfectly. No need to wring out the potatoes (and i actually think this is a mistake as the moisture cooks the potatoes!). There are even recipes that add liquids.

The other thing I remember was to cook slowly - so the whole process takes 30 minutes or more! I first browned the potatoes and shook to flip and mix some of the browned bits into the Rösti. Then I put on the plate and turned it to med-low and cooked for 10 minutes, then flipped and put the pan on again for another 10. Then I cooked it without the cover for awhile, and added the cheese last.

I wish I could find the original recipe - but I've really tries to no avail. For all I know this technique was a misinterpretation of the descriptions of using a plate to remove and flip the Rösti.... But I remember there were photos with the recipe.

I just made rösti last night. Interesting to read the suggestions here. I've got a few small round copper gratin pans all the same size, which make a good sized rösti for two, so last night I made it in one of these pans and flipped it into another pan, and it produced a very neat result. I think I'll do it that way from now on.