• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New BBQ in Nutley

Curlz

On my way home from Binh Duong last night, I noticed a Grand Opening sign/streamers on the outside of what was once a small dinerish spot--it's on the corner of Centre Street and Washington Avenue...sign says Stephanie's BBQ. Does anyone know anything about it?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

There's also a new BBQ place opening up in Teaneck on Teaneck Road -- Stickey's. The owner told me (when I saw him in the parking lot dragging in some building supplies, the place is about a week or so from opening) that he plans to smoke his own pastramis as well!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Interesting. It will throw in some competition for Jim Dandy's. Jim Dandy's has decent ribs but the place is quite dirty and the food is expensive. The ribs are always tender but there is just something about the place that irks me. I cannot pinpoint it. Service is fair. They have that -we don't need your service -attitude. Wonder if the Jim Dandy's in Rutherford is better or the same?

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Interesting that you say that Jim Dandy's is dirty; I've heard that their ribs are great, but have never gone in, as I think it looks like a cruddy place--and that's just from the outside!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

i don't think Jim Dandy's is all that dirty (although the Mud Hole, which is the connected bar, lives up to its name. it's a dark hole).

i just think that Jim Dandy's is best suited for the high school lunchtime crowd. i've had their ribs, and they didn't seem exceptional in the least. i wonder what their method is? do they smoke them? are they cooking them for hours with low heat? i'm guessing they don't do either.

Just walk by on a Friday night around 10. It smells like a dump. I think they slow cook them for weeks, making them tender. Have eaten there twice and enjoyed them , however, I must add that whenever I eat in a place so close to home, it is because I am very very hungry and do not want to cook.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

I went there before - when it was Nunzio's - talk about dirty. I really don't care if the food it great - if it is not clean - I will not go. There are only a couple of restaurants that I'll go to in Nutley. A lot of them are just not that clean. I think that says so much. I would rather travel than eat close to home - just because of that.

The new BBQ place in Nutley is called Stephanie's and my wife, her parents and I stopped today for dinner. Four different dishes - three disappointing meals. We should have walked out when we entered because it was freezing inside. It sure didn't look like the old diner that we knew! A lot of ceramic tile was laid in place, but the tile sure didn't make the food taste any better!

Dad had ribs w/rice & fries. Dry and tasteless. My wife had garlic chicken over yellow rice. Small pieces of flattened chicken breast that was very dry. Had a good garlic flavor, but why so DRY? I had BBQ Chicken w/boiled potatoes, carrots and cabbage. I took two bites and couldn't tolerate the dry meal. The veggies were delicious, but I was just so cold and disgusted I left it all. Mom had a grilled salmon that she liked. It came with the same veggies I had: boiled potatoes, carrots & cabbage. She cleaned her plate!

We may return in the summer if the place is still open and try something else, but I sure won't go out of my way to recommend Stephanie's BBQ. :sad:

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Hmm, I wonder if this place is any relation to Burnet BBQ? (2 locations in Union, NJ.) Not quality-wise, because we usually like their food, but the description of the dishes sounds just like what they have (only better), especially the sides (boiled potatos & cabbage or rice & fries).

Nutley Resident: it should only be about a 20 minute drive for you, we prefer the food at the Burnet Ave location (for take out), but they have better seating at the other store...

• Burnet Barbeque -- Union, NJ
    (908) 688-8897 -- 1275 Stuyvesant Ave
    (908) 687-0313 -- 1363 Burnet Ave

Hmm, here's the only previous mention of Burnet Barbeque on eGullet. Here's a pre-eGullet post of mine about it on CH, and another one by someone else.

Hmm, I wonder if this place is any relation to Burnet BBQ? (2 locations in Union, NJ.) Not quality-wise, because we usually like their food, but the description of the dishes sounds just like what they have (only better), especially the sides (boiled potatos & cabbage or rice & fries).

The menu they distributed (folded paper in thirds) did not mention any other locations. FYI

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Wow Nunzio's is gone? That place has been there since I was born! Stephanie's doesn't sound real promising yet....Nutley's not the best for dining but there are some decent spots.....( I live there) Jim Dandy's is a bit dirty but I still go once in awhile for the ribs, burgers, or wings....all decent but certainly not great...Mud Hole is quite the dump but they have Cheap, Cold beer.... :biggrin:

Interesting. It will throw in some competition for Jim Dandy's. Jim Dandy's has decent ribs but the place is quite dirty and the food is expensive. The ribs are always tender but there is just something about the place that irks me. I cannot pinpoint it. Service is fair. They have that -we don't need your service -attitude. Wonder if the Jim Dandy's in Rutherford is better or the same?

My only experience with the Rutherford Jim Dandy's is as a source of takeout. The staff has seemed quite pleasant every time I've gone there for a pickup. It looks quite clean, I wouldn't hesitate to eat there if I were in the mood.

Their main virtue for me is decent, if not exceptional, food + convenience. Ribs are tender & reasonably tasty, though nowhere near the best I've had. Burgers are quite good. I particularly like the one slathered with melted cheese, onions & green peppers.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845