• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great sandwiches in Seattle

The place was located I'm pretty sure south of the Value Village [where we had stopped] on the west side of highway 99 in a small strip mall next door to a Hair Salon.

Irwin

Irwin, not to beat a dead horse, but there are two Value Village stores in Snohomish county: one in Lynnwood on Highway 99 and one in Everett on Evergreen Way (the old Highway 99). Both are on the west side of the highway and adjacent to other stores.

As a way of orientation, the one in Everett is not far from Pacific Kitchen, an excellent kitchenware supply store and is close to a Rite Aid. The one in Lynnwood is next to a Burger King.

I am guessing that you were up at the Everett store, and I should be looking on Evergreen Way?

MGLoyd:

Passed the place today but it wasn't open yet. Info follows.

Barneys Pastrami Dip

425-259-9078

5130 Evergreen Way [99]

Everett, Wa. 98203

Now we will wait for your report.

Lunched today again at " Baker's Fountain" in Lake City Way" mentioned on previous post.

Same great "Monte Cristo" with fresh cut" Fries" and Marionberry Jam plus a eat with spoon Blueberry Shake.

My friend had a "Dad's Burger" with Grilled Onions anfd Fries. it was gigantic, juicy and i'm going to order it next time. Other friend had a "Reuben", first rate and I was surprised how good the Sliced "Prime Rib" French Dip Sandwich looked.

This place started in Pikes Market in 1929, makes a assortment of Candies, Fudges and Pastry is reasonable, got parking and Old Fashioned Charma. Even the Coles Laws good.

Irwin :biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I know this isn't a sandwich town. I've been to a couple of places recently that profess to have east-coast style sandwiches, and they sorta sucked. Where do you go for a perfect reuben? Croque monsieur? (I hesitate to even ask...) burger? Anywhere in the Puget Sound region would be helpful at this point.

Well, might be a little outta the way, but Toby's Tavern in Coupeville on Whidbey Island does a divine grilled Reuben, and the BEST burgers...

Located on Front Street...can't miss it.

In everything satiety closely follows the greatest pleasures. -- Cicero

Oops--I made the Three Girls/Three Sisters mistake too. They're both good, and they're both in the Market.

Girls is the bakery--where you can get that monster-sized roast beef & horesradish.

Sisters is by SBC and has good panini. Also has a little-known outside seating area for lunch just around the corner and up the stairs. On a sunny day, you can't beat it.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

and right in front (of sisters) in the summer there's always a street performer...sometimes a older guitarist, sometimes a younger guy. a little sunshine, a little live music - not a bad way to spend a lunch hour.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

WHAT?!  I just looked above and saw something about a Polish deli?  In Seattle?  This Chicago Polish girl needs to know much, much more!

Must be George's, the place that we talked about some on this thread. Certainly deserves mention here on the sandwich thread.

That would be George's, except I've never seen "George", just the two Polish ladies :rolleyes:

Except that they don't have the real good rye bread that you can get in Chicago!

Edited by sequim (log)

Nancy Leson writes that the real Roxy pastrami is taking over the Bagel Oasis in Fremont and that the Bagel Oasis in Ravenna will be reworked into a full service deli - looks like two sandwich places are being renewed. Plus (nationwide/worldwide?) bbq by Peter Glick of Roxy at the defunct Butcher Shoppe in Ballard!

I'm slowly working my way through the suggestions. I'll catch up eventually...

Went to Persimmon and the menu looked delicious, but they don't serve beer or wine. How the hell can you have lunch without a drinky? Wait, don't tell me.

After driving around for a bit I ended up at Norm's in downtown Fremont. Pretty damned good. The food all tasted good, was well seasoned, and was generously portioned. If they ask you how you want your burger cooked, and you tell them, they actually listen to you. That goes a long way. Also, they some interesting things themselves, like Kennebec potato chips. The dessert was huge and bad, but had three good pints of Elysian IPA.

Drove up Hwy. 99 and found Barney's Pastrami Dip. Uh, I wasn't that impressed. The meat had a little fat to it, which was good, but not a lot of flavor or tenderness. The bun was dry and the mustard and pickles were slapped on. Wow, that's one depressing location. I'm all for joints, but yikes.

Please keep the suggestions coming and thanks for the ideas so far. I've got a lot of eating to do.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Went to Persimmon and the menu looked delicious, but they don't serve beer or wine. How the hell can you have lunch without a drinky? Wait, don't tell me.

That's what flasks are for. :hmmm:

They are getting wine and beer soon, I believe.

Ask for Brown to tide you over. The reuben is worth the trip, making eating sans booze endurable.

I like the burger at the Maple Leaf Grill on Roosevelt in the Maple Leaf neighborhood. It's juicy and you can get it medium rare or medium, with blue cheese and bacon---yum! But the best thing is the pile o' fries. Real ones with skins attached and fried up crispy and salty. They have a nice selection of brews and are smoke-free too.

They also have a great BLT.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Philadelphia Fevre on Madison just east of 23rd does a great cheese-steak sandwich along with some other variations on the theme. The chicken "cordon-bleu" sandwich is another favorite of mine there.

Anita and I just did our maiden voyage at the Fevre today for cheesesteaks. OMG. They should be classified as Schedule 1 narcotics. Soopa-delish.

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

Anita and I just did our maiden voyage at the Fevre today for cheesesteaks. OMG. They should be classified as Schedule 1 narcotics. Soopa-delish.

c

I have, at times, suspected the addition of crack to the sandwiches....

Glad you liked it...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

There are some Sandwiches served in Seattle that are not comparable to anywhere else in my estimation such as those delights prepared at "Salumi".

However there is one that been served for many years that I feel is World Class, especially after seeing several Texas friends moaning and tearing that this was better then they got at home.

I'd like to nominate the "Pecos Pits" Barbeque Beef" Sandwich with Hot Sauce on the Onion Bun as a legitimate contenter.

I have been enjoying these sandwiches for many years without ever being disappointed with consistancy, taste or quality. I can't say the same for anywhere else i've eaten. In fact I've never heard of anyone being disappointed by the items served. They are more consistant then McDonalds.

For superbowl weekend I received a Brisket care package assembled from 5 well known places from Texas and compared then with several sandwiches that I had in my Refrigerator from Pecos Pit and it was still bettter then the imports.

Irwin :unsure::biggrin:

I'd like to nominate the "Pecos Pits" Barbeque Beef" Sandwich with Hot Sauce on the Onion Bun as a legitimate contenter.

I like Pecos too. Irwin, do you have an official opinion on the brisket from Jones Barbeque? I like it the best of any I've had.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

I like Pecos too. Irwin, do you have an official opinion on the brisket from Jones Barbeque? I like it the best of any I've had.

tighe:

I've been eating "Jones Barbeque" since they opened and several times at the new location.

They are not even close to "R & L" or "Peco's" for the Brisket.

I feel that Jones isn't consistant in the smoking process as the Briskets sometimes have two much collegin when sliced due to shorter smoke time or high heat The sauce doesn't have the character of being basted into the meat during smoking or finishing the Barbeque. Check it out as the Briskets tend to curl up when being reheated, especially if you buy it by the pound as I generally do. Pecos Pit or R & L stay limpish and tender. It's a simple test.

They do better on other items, especially the Home made style Desserts and Ribs and sides can be pretty good. For a overall experience Judkins will sometimes surprise.

Irwin :unsure:

I've been eating "Jones Barbeque" since they opened and several times at the new location.

They are not even close to "R & L" or "Peco's" for the Brisket.

Well, damn....

Now I'm going to have to do a side-by-side tasting...a tough cross to bear.... :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

WHAT?!  I just looked above and saw something about a Polish deli? 

Must be George's, the place that we talked about some on this thread

George's has the world's best horseradish.

I went to Persimmon a few weekends ago and the eGulleteers were absolutely right about the atmosphere: it's quite cozy and neighborly. The sandwiches were good, but not as celestial as I was expecting from the reviews. I don't know about the Farmer's Market produce, because a few minutes after I ordered the caprese, one of the staff went out the door and returned 10 minutes later with a package of plastic-wrapped tomatoes (maybe it was for his own dinner). Anyway, I'll definitely go back for the breakfast.

But there are no local tomatoes this time of year. Can only do the possible...try it in the summer!

Oh, that's true...what was I thinking. I should have ordered the never-out-of-season pastrami!

Has anyone tried the sandwiches at Beechers, the cheese place in Pike Place Market? I was there today but didn't get a sandwich. On the recommendation of the eGullet member who works there I got the honey fromage blanc (Blank Slate), which is so delightful that after trying it with various bread-cracker-walnut-hazelnut combinations, I'm now eating it straight out of the container off a spoon.

Has anyone tried the sandwiches at Beechers, the cheese place in Pike Place Market? I was there today but didn't get a sandwich. On the recommendation of the eGullet member who works there I got the honey fromage blanc (Blank Slate), which is so delightful that after trying it with various bread-cracker-walnut-hazelnut combinations, I'm now eating it straight out of the container off a spoon.

Yes! I've tried a couple of their sandwiches and they're really, really tasty. I've had both the tomato-basil and the smoked turkey, and while I liked them both I preferred the tomato-basil.

I was there today too (along with the rest of Seattle)! I've become a great fan.

Some of these are a little off the beaten path, but what the heck...

Mikey's Brooklyn Bagel and Deli in Redmond has the best bagels I've ever had - I used to get them every morning. Great smoked salmon cream cheese.

The Quizno's on NE 4th in Bellevue seems better than any of the others I've been to.

Kegler's Kafe in the bowling alley at NAS Whidbey island does a French Dip I'v liked for the last ten years.

Nordstrom's Cafe at Bell Square does great sandwiches.

Best burgers on the Eastside is at Small Fry's in Fall City. I always try to stop by there and take my burger out to Snoqualmie Falls.

Chuck (and everyone else) -

Persimmon got their beer and wine license (and they will stock up this week!). Pastrami and Port? Okay, maybe a beer. By the way, they make French onion soup everyday and it is very good, bubbly with a little bread and cheese on top.

cxt - yes to grilled cheese at Beechers. I took the suggestion for the roast beef version - yummy with grilled onions. But I like the tomato/basil version as well. They got a nice spread in the current Sunset - Seattle section. Placebo - is that you cutting the cheese? :laugh: