• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Johnnybird's Toast Dope

Susan in FL

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

It's 5am...and I am sitting here eating buttered toast...topped with my newly minted toast dope. :biggrin:

Mention of toast dope on peanut butter sandwiches makes me wonder...how good would a toast dope enhanced fluffernutter be? mmm...I think I'll have one for breakfast. :laugh:

Those who forget the pasta are condemned to reheat it.

Hmm.. I bet this would be good added to a plain pound cake or shortbread recipe.

may-

i use it in my cranberry orange tea cakes and in making crumb buns. i also make bisquick like peach cake and add it to that or sprinkle on shortcake biscuits. ohhhhhh

sprinkled over destoned apricots, baked a bit then with vanilla ice cream....

and it is good just on buttered toast then popped into the microwave for a few seconds

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 years later...

two words for y'all - juniper berries.

johnnybird made a new set of dope over the weekend using freshly grated and dried lemon and orange rind as well as some commercially purchased and crushed up juniper berries. i'm missing about 1/3 of my new jar from penzey's so probably about 20 berries for 1 lb of demerara sugar. he said he took the pit out of the berry then chopped the berries up fine.

all i can say is WOW! i've been cooking a bit with the berries since i've been doing a lot with game but this gives a pop to the toast dope.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I just made a simple version of the "Dope" with raw sugar, orange zest, and cinnamon............

Muddled it with a splash of lime jus and rind then built a basic Margarita on top of that. A little depth from the brown sugar, great flavor from the orange zest.

The addition of the muddling tastes made this drink special.

Cheers, Ian

I see a future of added chiles!

Edited by catdaddy (log)

I just made a simple version of the "Dope" with raw sugar, orange zest, and cinnamon............

Muddled it with a splash of lime jus and rind then built a basic Margarita on top of that. A little depth from the brown sugar, great flavor from the orange zest.

The addition of the muddling tastes made this drink special.

Cheers, Ian

I see a future of added chiles!

cool, catdaddy. years ago Susan in FL and i were trying to come up with some cocktails using the dope. i put together one that blended the dope into the eggnog itself and then rimmed the glass. i also put one together with some ginger liqueur, bourbon and made a simple syrup using the dope.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 1 year later...

I want to make this as a part of my christmas baskets, so i need a little shelf stability for shipping, etc. The orange peel concernns me a bit

To make it more shelf stable im thinking candy the peel or just dry it?

• 3 years later...

I just made Toast Dope ice cream, and, it's amazing!

Back in 2011, I made a big batch as gifts and wound up keeping a quart jar of it -vacuum sealed, or course. That jar wound up hidden at the back of a shelf to be rediscovered recently while doing a deep cleaning. Anyway, this batch was made with grated clementine zest, cinnamon, allspice, cardamom, and a tiny amount of ground juniper berry. The clementine was grated with a fine Microplane directly into the sugar and there were tiny lumps in the Toast Dope. (they aren't noticeable in the ice cream) The sugar was a light brown raw sugar from Mexico that kind of resembles 'sugar in the raw' -it comes in 1 or 2 pound plastic bags with green text.

Here's my ice cream formula:

1 Pint Whole Milk

5 Ounces Toast Dope

4 Egg Yolks

1 Cup Heavy Cream

Heat the Milk until barely scalded. While the Milk is heating, beat the Toast Dope and Yolks in a bowl. Temper the Yolks mixture then mix Milk with the Yolks and Toast Dope. Stir in Cream, chill then run in an ice cream machine. These amounts will work in a 1.5 quart electric machine. The finished ice cream will have an ivory color.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone, Toast Dope rocks!

• Like 1

What is Toast Dope?

It's an addictive toast topping with a diverse variety of applications, including (we now learn) ice cream! According to Johnnybird himself the recipe is pretty flexible, with the proviso that it must include cinnamon and citrus zest. Johnnybird gives the basic recipe in this post. Edited by Smithy
Clarity (log)
  • Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oh. I had forgotten Toast Dope! Time to make it part of my pantry again. Added the missing ingredients to my grocery list.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I just discovered this thread.  Think I must make some Toast Dope and even more so, some Toast Dope Ice Cream.  Can anything top this summer's Apple Pie Ice Cream???

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If thats Dope, i would hate to see what nutella is considered.

I have always thought of the word 'dope' in this case being used like airplane dope used on old-style wood & fabric airplanes; as a finishing touch. But, that's just my interpretation.

• Like 1

Dope in the case of toast dope comes from John's brother who worked in NYC back in the day and it meant good.

Ah, thanks for the derivation.  I always thought it was like 'pipe dope' that would always be in a plumber's tool kit so you'd always want to keep 'toast dope' on hand in the kitchen!  

I guess I should admit that I just realized that my batch was pretty different from the original. Instead of rind of a whole orange (well clementine in this case) to about 4oz sugar, I used a lot less. Like one rind for 2 pounds, so it's more like cinnamon sugar with a hint of orange. (I was wondering why people were storing this in the fridge...)

Anyway, anyone attempting ice cream should probably use maybe ­¼ toast dope and ­­¾ plain sugar.

• Like 1