• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Johnnybird's Toast Dope

Susan in FL

i2656.jpg

Johnnybird and Suzilightning... haven't taken the opportunity to tell you how much I love this stuff... it's my current favorite addiction! Do you keep a supply in the fridge? What's the shelf life?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I have a lovely little jar of this stuff that my sister made from tangelos that were particularly pretty. This is my new favorite thing. She made it using the raw sugar from a friend whose family still grows sugar cane in Louisiana. I just keep it on the kitchen counter.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Raw sugar, citrus rind and spices. You sprinkle it on buttered toast, oatmeal, whatever.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Did a search for "toast dope" and found nothing relevant as to a recipe. So can you fill us in? Spices is rather vague. I love orange marmalade on toast and this looks interesting.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

suzilightning will have to enlighten us. My sister just added stuff until it "looked right". First she took off the zest with a microplane. Then she added cinnamon, nutmeg and I think some cardamom just because it seemed like a good idea at the time. At first, it was a little bitter but that mellowed after a day or so.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

suzilightning will have to enlighten us. My sister just added stuff until it "looked right". First she took off the zest with a microplane. Then she added cinnamon, nutmeg and I think some cardamom just because it seemed like a good idea at the time. At first, it was a little bitter but that mellowed after a day or so.

Sounds really good.

I'm making this soon, and will add coriander.

amanda

Googlista

Here are the (approximate amounts of) ingredients for this batch:

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons raw sugar

Finely grated zest of one orange

1/2 tablespoon cinnamon

A few fresh gratings of nutmeg

So far I've used it just on buttered toast, and I'm looking forward to having it on oatmeal, some morning this week. Yum it's good.

It is so strange to see your screen name on the computer.

Susan in FL has the proportions right over all but you can include whatever spices you like though there has to be some kind of citrus zest and cinnamon included.

The latest batch from northwest New Jersey is

1 oz granulated sugar

1 oz raw sugar

zest of 1 mandarin orange

.5 oz cinnamon

8 scrapes of nutmeg

.25 oz allspice

I will let you know how this goes by Sunday.

"Let's do another bad one 'cause I like it when the blood drains from Dave's face"

"Pickle -ickle - ickle"

Warren Zevon

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I really am a fan of this stuff! Check this out... tonight we fried some ripe plantains and I used it. I breaded sliced plantains using some flour, matzo meal, toast dope, and a little cumin, and sauteed them in butter. Yum! ...A really nice mix of sweet and savory.

I guess I really am a fan of this stuff! Check this out... tonight we fried some ripe plantains and I used it. I breaded sliced plantains using some flour, matzo meal, toast dope, and a little cumin, and sauteed them in butter. Yum! ...A really nice mix of sweet and savory.

susan

i think we may be able to find a 12 step program to help you.

though i look at this stuff as a sweet version of curry powder. everyone makes their own and it is unique to each family.

actually john came across a formula he had done a while ago and noticed he also had used ground cloves. he's on tdy right now but due back monday and out of toast dope so guess who had to go out to buy fresh citrus and ground cloves??

actually works real well in a mandarin orange and cranberry coffee cake too....

maybe we will be able to exchange bottles of dope when we are in florida next month :laugh:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i think we may be able to find a 12 step program to help you.
LOL! ...One of those problems it feels so good to have.

Coming to Florida!? ...PM or email me if you might want to meet and exchange toast dope!

• 7 months later...

If I kept track of all the ways I've used Johnnybird's Toast Dope, I would be able to publish a cookbook about the stuff.

...Used it in an orange french toast recipe this morning, and sauteed apples in butter and Toast Dope recently and then put vanilla ice cream on top.

Another thing I love when I have a slight sweet tooth late at night is buttered popcorn with Toast Dope on it, and to drink bubbly with it.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this back up just because "toast dope" has become a staple around here. We use a sugar from a good friend that has a sugar plantation in Louisiana. The funny part of it is that my nephew, the attorney, includes this in his gift baskets to clients and friends. However, he refuses to use the term "toast dope." For obvious reasons, I guess. He calls it "seasoned sugar."

I do find that you have to keep it in the fridge or it might get some mold.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Bumping this back up just because "toast dope" has become a staple around here. We use a sugar from a good friend that has a sugar plantation in Louisiana. The funny part of it is that my nephew, the attorney, includes this in his gift baskets to clients and friends. However, he refuses to use the term "toast dope." For obvious reasons, I guess. He calls it "seasoned sugar."

gee, fifi - if the nephew practices(d) criminal or as a pd he would know dope

:rolleyes: . if any consolation johnnybird's dad is an attorney - and we give him bathches of this stuff prominantly labeled...

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Can you add dried, ground citrus rind, or would that be considered cheating?

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

Can you add dried, ground citrus rind, or would that be considered cheating?

April

why not? toast dope(johnnybird pm'd me that he is using the word

dope to mean good) is whatever tastes good to you.

john has made it with both refined white sugar and raw. i like the dope made with raw sugar better for baking and making streusels; john likes the white sugar on toast because it kinda melts a bit like the crust of a brulee when he pops it into the microwave to heat up at work.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I'm glad you bumped this topic, since I missed it the first time around. Can't wait to try it! Do you find it makes a difference, with the type of oranges/mandarins/clementines used?

I have a feeling this would be good in hot tea. And I know I'll like it on baked sweet potatoes.

Popcorn, really? I'll have to try that, too.

Yeah really, about the popcorn... Not all the time, but when it's a sweet treat.

I'm glad this was bumped up, too. I just finished my last batch, sprinkling some on toasted whole wheat cinnamon-raisin English muffins.

I haven't yet tasted a big difference between different citruses used, but I'll start paying attention to that. I've got a variety of Florida oranges and tangerines right now. 'Tis the season! I bet it is good on sweet potatoes, if you like sweet potatoes.

I didn't see this thread until I realized I'd already done this.

I made homemade raisin bread yesterday, it came out beautiful, light, fluffy, nice crust, a perfect loaf! I love to bake in colder weather.. anyway, I tasted the bread and decided right away as wonderful as it was, it just was not sweet enough. So I got some really good margarine and beat in a little vanilla and confectioner's sugar. After a LOT of beating, I got a smooth, wonderful sweet spread. I put that on the raisin bread, HEAVEN! So good.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning when I will toast the bread and use my own version of dope.

I know I could add citrus peel, spices, etc, but right now, I'm enjoying it just the way it is.

How funny I would fine this thread today, after I'd already made my dope! :laugh:

---------------------------------------

I read this thread ... ran to kitchen and made the dope using my gram scale and I think 15 gms( .5oz) of cinnamon is too much... - run back and reread the thread- 1/2 TB in another post ...- that works if I double sugars and but I don't have another tangerine so it'll have to be a Meyer lemon ... not bad but not sublime. Post this and then decide to have some on toast.. back out to kitchen which now smells sublime and and mix is tasting better. If nothing else this will be fabulous in homemade sticky buns, however hot buttered toast with dope gets consumed quickly and now I need another one to check on the aging process. Do you think 15 minutes is enough :hmmm: . I think I'll make a batch for small gifts for my gourmet group as a post holiday dinner present.

BTW - How does aging effect the mix?

Lunch today provided new information: it's great on a peanut butter sandwich. Can't wait to try it on peanut butter toast.

Some crumbs fell out of the sandwich and onto my banana... mmmmmmmmm :biggrin:

I'm thinking it would have to be good on steamed or sauteed carrots.

I'm going to try it in coffee.

Edited by jgm (log)