• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waffle Irons

Malawry

I need a waffle iron. I've seen various types out there but the really kool ones seem to be those with reversible plates that you can use for panini and other foods you squish. Also it seems to me that it would be easier to have an iron with removable plates, for cleaning purposes.

So, bring on the personal opinions. What kind of coating works best? Which models crank out the crispest, fluffiest versions? Which one should you have just left on the shelf?

I'm really happy with the Salton Belgian Waffle Iron we bought six years ago. It whistles when the waffles are supposed to be done, but I've learned from experience to leave them in there a minute longer. To contradict Steven, I'd say to definitely get non-stick, so much easier to clean and mine do get crispy.

For fluffy waffles be sure to use a recipe that calls for folding in beaten egg whites. Also, as long as you're bothering to make homemade waffles, make a lot. They freeze really well and then you have an easy toaster breakfast in the morning. Flavored waffles (add cocoa or fruit) are so good they can be eaten straight without syrup so they are even a good commuting in the car (or metro) food.

For toasted sandwiches like panini, I prefer to use my cast iron pans. While prepping the sandwich you heat two cast iron skillets, if one is smaller than the other that is preferable. Put the sandwich in the larger pan and place the smaller pan (I use one skillet and my grill pan as the squisher) on top of the sandwich. If the pans were properly preheated and you are only making one sandwich, you can even turn the heat off at this point.

I've seen this technique done by Alton Brown on Good Eats, but I had used it myself before seeing it on TV.

I love that two pan method for sandwiches too. Iève tried it on a rib eye steak and wasn't that thrilled.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the responses. The two-pan idea for squishing a sammich is a really good one, and I'll be sure to try it the next time I need a grilled cheese.

I've never even seen one of these cast iron stovetop waffle irons. (*shows youth brazenly*) What are these, and where do you get them? And why are they superior? And how on earth do you clean them? (I'm suspecting these turn out good waffles 'cause you have to add extra fat to your batter if you wanna pry them off the cast iron...and extra fat makes for tastier food...)

My mom used to freeze waffles (her recipe is called "Oh Boy Waffles" and yes we really did say "OH BOY!" if she said she was making them) and I definitely intend to do the same. Particularly once the blueberries hit the farmer's market. I love blueberry waffles...

Quote: from Malawry on 12:26 pm on Feb. 8, 2002

Thanks for the responses. The two-pan idea for squishing a sammich is a really good one, and I'll be sure to try it the next time I need a grilled cheese.

Just don't try it with a regular grilled cheese sandwich, you'll end up with quite a mess. The cast iron smooshing method works best for sturdy sandwiches, like a cubano. Even a reuben might get smashed too much.

Malawry--your post made me think about whether manufacturers of these things were intentionally not providing adaptability--to build in some obsolescence, keep the price low and prompt consumers to buy more than one machine--instead of giving us one good, multi-functional, non-stick, reversible machine that will last--of course at a higher price.

Like you, I suspect, I would love to find something large--say a foot square--that could do 4 waffles--and reverse to a flat surface to press out panini and grilled cheese and lightly seared flat things.  Ideally it would also have a variable control knob for heat.

We must find this thing!  It's now a sentimental cause for me because when I was in college 20 years ago--I lived for a semester cranking out delicacies from my little Presto Burger Maker to dorm-wide acclaim.

Of course, if it were stainless steel with Art-Deco styling, even better.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Malawry--your post made me think about whether manufacturers of these things were intentionally not providing adaptability--to build in some obsolescence, keep the price low and prompt consumers to buy more than one machine--instead of giving us one good, multi-functional, non-stick, reversible machine that will last--of course at a higher price.

Like you, I suspect, I would love to find something large--say a foot square--that could do 4 waffles--and reverse to a flat surface to press out panini and grilled cheese and lightly seared flat things.  Ideally it would also have a variable control knob for heat.

I just talked to my esteemed housemate, who is an engineer, about this issue. She opined that reversible plates are unlikely to heat properly for both sides, since it would be difficult for the heating element to be designed in such a way that they could heat through the various surfaces evely. She suggested that a waffle iron with multiple plates you could switch out would be the best possible version of this device. You could have waffle shaped plates, ridged panini plates, flat plates. Maybe even extra waffle-y shapes for special occasions.

Too bad my housemate is not a mechanical engineer. :)

This made me whimper even more. Why don't people manufacture the right machines for cooking? I mean, there's a million of those damned Foreman grills on the market, and those are so similar to waffle irons and panini grills from a mechanical standpoint, but they don't reverse out plates. And there's a million waffle irons on the market that don't reverse out for other jobs. There's even panini grills that don't do anything else but panini (well, unless you believe the instruction manuals when they suggest apple pies made with white bread and canned apple pie filling). I hate kitchen machines you can only use for one task, with the possible exception of my coffee pot. (I make tea from a kettle on the stove.)

Steve, what'd you make with your machine?

Hey, K--I saw reviews on amazon.com that said what you say about the two or so machines they carry that do reverse out. I've never tested these reviews (the waffle iron ones were the only ones I looked at). Where do you go to see peoples' thoughts on kitchen gadgets and machines?

• 1 year later...

Per my post in the waffle thread...

Most wafflophiles I know -- and this includes myself -- think that the 1960s era Sunbeam Waffle Baker and Sandwich Grill is the best of all time.  As it so happens, there are a few up for auction on eBay right now (click and click and click some more).

I find that the Sunbeam has the best depth of waffle pockets (if that makes any sense) and thickness of waffle. Most modern waffle irons make what I see as "waffle crackers." The other nice thing about the Sunbeam is that it has separate waffle and griddle plates. This is good for two reasons: 1. you are not burning the griddle plate with the heating element every time you make waffles (or vice-versa); and 2. the griddle plates are wonderful for making pancakes, grilled cheese/cubano/"panino-style" sandwiches.

(edited to add below)

Oops! just noticed you wanted one for Belgian waffles. Hmmm. That is a different story, although I have used my Sunbeam to make pretty good Belgian-esque waffles (the pockets are smaller, of course) four at a time that I serve with the usual Belgian waffle accoutrements.

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

I've never even seen one of these cast iron stovetop waffle irons. (*shows youth brazenly*) What are these, and where do you get them? And why are they superior? And how on earth do you clean them?

We have one of these at our cabin, which has a gas (LP) stove, but no electricity. I think it's probably cast aluminum, not iron, and is non-stick. I absolutely love it, and is faster than most electric ones.

Stove-top waffle maker

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

malawry,

I have an old Griswold cast iron stove top waffle iron (an iron iron), and it makes great waffles. My standard recipe is adapted from the 1931 Joy recipe and I use it for both pancakes and waffles, but waffles get more added fat (melted butter) so they don't stick. It's about 2 cups flour (1 ea white and whole wheat), 2 eggs, separated, 1-2 cups milk (buttermilk is better...amount depends on how thick you like your cakes), salt...mix dry ingredients, mix egg yolks and milk (add 3-4 T melted butter for waffles), stir into dry, beat whites stiff and fold in.

I still grease the iron, though. I used to to use spray-can oil, but it's disgusting, so now I use a misto pump sprayer (with olive oil...a mild one, but it's usually the only oil around...I'm used to the flavor, which is hardly noticeable after topping with yogurt and fruit).

You might find one somewhere on the Griswold and Cast Iron Collector's site. My mother bought mine for a birthday aboout 25 years ago from Chuck Wafford, a Griswold collecting legend who lives in Oregon. Most of the collectors don't actually cook on their stuff, which is too bad, and the prices reflect condition and scarcity.

We also have a cheap electric, which works okay, and a stove-top Belgian waffle unit. I also grill sandwiches on the stove in a cast iron pan, but my mom used to make us grilled chesse or tuna in her waffle iron (back in the '50s, long before the panini boom), and I loved the waffle pattern on the bread.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Wow, I started this topic a long time ago. My husband/partner Erin bought me an iron for our first anniversary, a little over a year ago. It's the pricey Villaware iron sold by Williams-Sonoma. It's not Belgian-style, it has the more American-style sized pockets, and the plates don't reverse or come out, but I love it anyway. It cranks out four small square-shaped waffles at once, and I usually stock my freezer with waffles from it for weekday breakfasts. It features "Waffle-Tone," a chirrup that sounds when the iron reaches peak temperature. I'm waffle-rich now, not to mention a lucky lady. :wub:

• Like 1

• 14 years later...

Last week I got a DeLonghi griddle.  I opted for the CGH1030D over the CGH1020D because it does Belgianesque style waffles.  (Should one own a CGH1020D, the waffle plates are available separately.)

I am very pleased with the DeLonghi.  No muss, no fuss, no sticking.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou