• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[PDX] Cafe Azul esta muerto

¡Que lastima!

Cameron and I ate there last year on a weekend jaunt, and although overall I thought it wasn't as good as the hype would warrant, parts of the experience were indeed excellent. Glad that we had the change to experience it before it was no more, in any case.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

As I've said elsewhere, Cafe Azul is the only Mexican restaurant that I've been to in the US that's better than what I've eaten in Mexico. Archibald kicks Bayless' ass.

Do I understand this correctly?? Cafe Azul make better Mexican food than restaurants in Mexico? :blink:

Rodney

That's what I said. I still haven't made a trip to Oaxaca, but I've searched out regional Mexican restaurants that were known for their food whenever I've gone to Mexico, and Cafe Azul was always better. Cafe Azul was also better than Topolo or Frontera, imo, and better than other places I've been in Texas and California that serve regional Mexican. I think it's quite natural that an American restaurant really devoted to making great Mexican comfort foods could do a better job than Mexican restaurants. It'd be easier to find people willing to pay the money for better quality ingredients.

Although, I have heard, eg, from Diana Kennedy herself, that restaurants aren't the best representative of Mexican cooking, that too often people go out to eat in Mexico not for their grandmother's food. And so, eg, Kennedy said she almost never ate out in Mexico but instead ate at people's houses. I've never had that luxury.

I havne't eaten as extensively as you have in Mexico, but if you put aside taquerias (which totally rock) the restaurants I've tried have not been that great, where the food I've eaten in people's houses have been. I even searched out that place in Tijuana that was in Saveur's 100 best list when I was at a conference in San Diego. It sucked.

regards,

trillium

When I was in Mexico City, we ate at every regional Mexican restaurant that came recommended (none of the alta cocina places, though) and though there were some good ones, nothing as good as Cafe Azul. Like I said, though, I've never been to Oaxaca. But if Cafe Azul can make better moles than you can get in Mexico City, that's a big enough compliment.

I think I need to make a goodbye dinner in their honor....

I just spoke to Claire and Shawna (the Archibalds are old family friends). They're very sad about the end of Cafe Azul, but alas, the end has come. Anyway, if anyone is interested in buying the restaurant, I have the details of who to talk to - PM if you're interested.

Claire was very gratified to hear about all the good things you guys have been saying about her food. Hopefully once she's feeling up to it I'll be able to convince her to do a Q&A here.

- S

And so, eg, Kennedy said she almost never ate out in Mexico but instead ate at people's houses. I've never had that luxury.

bring whiskey and anyone will feed you. I'm serious. In a country full of Tequila connoisseurs, whiskey is a high ticket, highly prized item.

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

This is very sad news indeed. I feel particularly stupid for not making it over there for a last meal during my trip to Portland in November... I will lick my wounds during an upcoming meal at Frontera Grill in Chicago. Claire, come to Philadelphia--you'd be a smash here! :biggrin:

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I never had the pleasure of eating there.

ExtraMSG - have you ever eaten at Fandango in Seattle? How does the food compare? I've had some very good food there and some just okay, but never eaten in Mexico. I guess the food is more South American than Mexican?

I never had the pleasure of eating there.

ExtraMSG - have you ever eaten at Fandango in Seattle? How does the food compare? I've had some very good food there and some just okay, but never eaten in Mexico. I guess the food is more South American than Mexican?

Never have. I've been meaning to make a new food trip up to Seattle sometime soon, though. Need to pay my taxes first, however.

$165k

Yeah, not horrible. It would depend on how much upside there is to the restaurant. They can't have been making much money if they just suddenly closed, I wouldn't think. And they closed, a big negative. They're going to go a couple months with the idea that Cafe Azul is gone. They will have lost all their regulars. And if they reopen, everyone will know it's a different place. I assume they'll sell their name and recipes but how many chefs in Portland could live up to the old Cafe Azul. The dessert menu was about the only thing lacking, I thought.

Still, I think there probably is some upside. 1) Both sisters were probably taking salaries when you really don't need both of them to run the business. 2) You could probably lower some of the prices of dishes and restructure the menu to have more small plates. 3) You could probably emphasize drinks more, even emphasizing a social bar area. 4) They never marketed much that I saw (or had good signage). 25 for $25 seemed about the only thing they ever did that I noticed. 5) They never did anything but dinner service (although, I'm not sure the location makes much sense for anything else).

It'll be interesting to see if anyone buys it. There are several restaurants for sale in that area, I think, plus you have all those new lease areas under the condos being built. Will someone buy the restaurant just to convert that property? I wouldn't be surprised if they end up selling the restaurant for the cost of the equipment and furniture. Either that, or maybe they sell it to a lover of authentic Mexican (like me) who has a lot of extra money to throw around (not like me).

If I would have known they were in trouble I would have gone and offered to work for free just to learn from Archibald. I'm really surprised they suddenly closed, too. I would have thought they would have gotten a rush of people who would want to eat there before they went out of business. Plus, selling something that at least currently has revenue might be more attractive. But I don't know how bad it was. I have a feeling we're in the darkest before the dawn for restaurants in Portland right now.

• 2 years later...