• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with Friends

pattimw

This is just too funny, I had to share it here. I invited two friends of mine from college over for dinner for tonight (I asked them a week ago). I see them on a fairly regular basis, but don't get to cook for them often, so this was the perfect opportunity.

I designed what I thought was a lovely meal, simple for me the chef, after a long work week-

Herbed goat Cheese spread to start

Roast Chicken

Orange and Fennel Salad

Green Beans with Toasted Almonds

Baguette

Chardonnay and Pinot Noir

Chocolate layer cake.

Simple, but good, and homey, right? I was very proud of myself until a few minutes ago when I emailed said friends to make sure they knew the directions to get to our place. One friend emailed back, said yes, could I send them to her again? And then she drops the bomb that oh, yes, she was talking to the other friend who is coming and this friend reminded her that she should tell me that she has developed an allergy to chicken, but if it can be picked out of the main entree, she'll be fine!!!!!!! :shock: Not with roast chicken, you won't!!!! I am laughing my a** off, only this would happen to me.

If I invite people to come over whom I do not know very well, I usually ask if they have food allergies or are vegetarians, etc. I thought i knew this friend well enough to know of any issues.

Just thought some of you may find that amusing......

Looks like you've got enough other good food there that your guest can do without the chicken. :smile: Glad to hear you're laughing....I've been there.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I think that is the first time I have EVER heard of someone being allergic to chicken. Eggs, yes... Chicken... no. Weird.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Weird, weird, weird. Allergic to chicken and NOT eggs?!

I guess being allergic to chicken would be preferrable; being allergic to eggs effectively renders inedible a much large set of dishes.

Still, how strange.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

She did mention that organic chicken bothered her slightly less than regular. (I was using Bell &Evans) SHe didn't eat it anyway. This friend is somewhat known for being, ahem, a bit of a hypochondriac, so, it is possible that this chicken "allergy" could be fake.

Oh, well, there was more chicken for us and I made some great stock out of it!