• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar on white rice

bleachboy

Does toast with butter and sugar count?  I used to do that when I was a kid.  Made my mom mad b/c I'd just use up the butter that way.  But it was GOOOOOD.  Haven't had that in years tho.

heh

Soba

Mine also had cinnamon. OOPS still does. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Mmmm...this all sounds really good. I used to keep leftover Chinese takeout rice to make rice pudding, but since i discovered Kozy Shack, homemade isn't as good. Breakfast cereal, yummy. Maybe i'll make it the way i make oatmeal, with dates, cinnamon and maple syrup.

I thought it was weird too, but apparently a lot of people here in Oklahoma do it also.

My grandmother would do the white rice, milk and sugar thing back in the '50s. This was in the Pacific Northwest but she was raised in Oklahoma and Grandfather was from Indiana. Maybe this helps support the Midwest theory.

Even though its been 50 some years since I last had it my taste memory is so strong I can actually taste it as I type. Wonder what other kinds of rice would be like when treated like that?

Thanks for the flashback!

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

My favorite comfort food. My hubby thinks this is weird but I have done it all my life -- left over rice warmed, a few tablespoons of warmed clarified butter (ghee) poured over the rice and as much sugar as I feel like -- YUMMY. I am not sure if this is customary in India -- but I like it a lot

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Growing up in Oklahoma, warmed leftover rice mixed with butter and sugar and sometimes milk was a pretty common snack in our house, as was bread (untoasted), butter and sugar. And, on the rare occasions we ate out at a Mexican restaurant, flour tortillas with butter and sugar were a must. I never associated it with lack of money, but I guess raising four kids on two educators' salaries in Oklahoma didn't qualify us as being wealthy, so there was probably more to it than I gave thought to at the time.

I haven't had rice or bread with butter and sugar since I was 10 or 12, but I still can't resist having flour tortillas with butter and sugar if all three are available at a Mexican restaurant. I generally get strange looks from whomever I'm with when I do it, though, at least here in Seattle. Not that that stops me, or that I care. :biggrin:

Does toast with butter and sugar count? I used to do that when I was a kid. Made my mom mad b/c I'd just use up the butter that way. But it was GOOOOOD. Haven't had that in years tho.

heh

Soba

toast with butter and white sugar sprinkled on top!

a very danish thing to do. Still do once in blue moon.