• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's to market "adult" happy meals

KNorthrup

"'All the research says I should be able to go to McDonald's and have choices', Larry Light, McDonald's global chief marketing officer, told Reuters in an interview."

This is a great quote. Can just imagine Mr. Light (heh), Chief Marketing Officer, sitting in his office one day and looking through his marketing research, and realizes that research says that he, Larry Light, should have choices at the restaurant for which he is Chief Marketing Officer. "Well, I'll be damned," he says. "Who woulda thunk it?"

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I think I am probably the lone desenter here, but I am glad they are doing an Adult Happy Meal.

As part of my job we take the students out to lunch about once a month. It is a great opportunity to practice a ton of skills, not to mention it gets us out of the classroom.

That being said, there is only so much a foodie can eat at McD's without gagging. Eating french fries for lunch doesn't set a great example. This Adult Happy Meal offers me, and all the other adults who go because their kids love McD's, a different choice.

Would I go there on my own to order one? No

Would I order one when I go with my students? Why not?

I'll report back when they show up in the DC burbs

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Water and a salad. And this is in any way a balanced meal? Oh, what was I thinking, it's McDonalds, none of the meals are balanced! Silly me, mea culpa. :wacko:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I think this was discussed in another thread a couple months ago.

I commented then that I wouldn't be interested in an adult Happy Meal unless it came with a McMartini. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

"'All the research says I should be able to go to McDonald's and have choices', Larry Light, McDonald's global chief marketing officer, told Reuters in an interview."

This is a great quote. Can just imagine Mr. Light (heh), Chief Marketing Officer, sitting in his office one day and looking through his marketing research, and realizes that research says that he, Larry Light, should have choices at the restaurant for which he is Chief Marketing Officer. "Well, I'll be damned," he says. "Who woulda thunk it?"

He must have not realized that salads and bottles of water are already available at his restaurants, either.

I think the difference from a kid's Happy Meal is that kids would order a burger and fries whether or not there was a free toy. But adults who won't buy a salad and a bottle of water now probably aren't going to do it just for the pedometer.

And even if they did, how many pedometers would one person need? I wonder what other "adult" gifts they have in mind...

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

mccondom! bwahahaha....

They do neglect to mention thought that their "ranch" dressing, the most popular by far, (what ranch did that come from I wonder...) has 30 g of fat in it.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

• 2 months later...
50 million pedometers
:shock:

Anybody know what very happy maufacturer of pedometers they ordered these from and what their ticker symbol is?

I bet that salesman got something nice for that sale of a lifetime. :wacko:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Actually, I was at their press conference today and the whole thing was rather odd. I meant to post but after wasting...I mean, sharing two hours with the kind folks of McDonald's, I had piles of work waiting for me back at the office.

Upon arrival, we were offered not the sausage biscuits I was craving, but instead we got super-hot coffee (where's Kramer?), yogurt parfaits (ordinarily I like fruit-granola-yogurt, but their yogurt was crazy-sweet) and their new "apple dippers." Apple dippers are plain sliced and peeled apple pieces that are apparently going to be sold with low-fat caramel.

Aren't apples already the ideal portable snack? Wouldn't you rather a plain old apple from nature instead of one coated in calcium asorbate (or whatever) to prevent the slices from turning brown indefinitely? I thought about leaving my pack of apple dippers in my office for a few weeks just to see how long they'd last but I ended up just chucking them.

They seemed so proud of themselves for adding these new healthier options. Seriously. And they think it's absolutely fantastic that in some areas, they'll be adding nutritional info to burger wrappers. Huh? This whole thing reminds me of the warning on packs of cigarettes. Does anybody think those actually help?

The aforementioned adult happy meals, targeting Moms, include one of their new high-end salads packaged in a strangely awkward box (my companion's fell apart as we walked down the street). I gave my to the first homeless man I encountered after leaving the press conference (this is DC so that took about a second) because my personal McDonald's tastes tend to run toward their high fat items like quarter pounders. Ain't NO kind of salad that'll change that!

The whole event was really...odd and as a marketer, I think they are doing the trying to please all of the people (and the government) all of the time and instead they're losing sight of what they do best. I expect that after the big media blitz the whole thing will fade away quickly and quietly. McDonald's will still sell some salads and stuff, but will they continue spending millions on marketing "Go Active?" Heck, no.

The aforementioned adult happy meals, targeting Moms, include one of their new high-end salads packaged in a strangely awkward box (my companion's fell apart as we walked down the street).

Oh good. Yet another product targeted toward moms. I swear these companies assume that our brains fall out after we have the baby and they can sell us anything.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

The aforementioned adult happy meals, targeting Moms, include one of their new high-end salads packaged in a strangely awkward box (my companion's fell apart as we walked down the street).

Oh good. Yet another product targeted toward moms. I swear these companies assume that our brains fall out after we have the baby and they can sell us anything.

well, at least they aim stuff at you. No one ever aims stuff at Dads. Except life insurance.

You see stuff aimed at men all the time, but not dads.