• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat Cat Pie Company - Norwalk, CT

choreboy

Anyone else been to the Fountainhead Wines guys new restaurant on Wall Street in downtown Norwalk, CT?

A huge, open space with a large bar, many wines by the glass and inexpensive bottles to quaff, as well as the more boutique-y stuff. Lots of high end liquors as well. But the pizza's the thing - not sure if I have ever had a thinner, chewier crust on such creations as the "Westport" pizza (eggplant, sausage, and garlic). Raw milk cheeses and charcuterie, and salad too. Saturdays are jam-packed, so try another night.

Word is spreading fast - check it out before reviews hit the papers.

Was ther last tues. night for dinner, great thin pizza, but their salad needs work. all wine lists should be priced like theirs. What a great place, with the Garden Cinema right around the corner, its what the wall st. area needs.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

• 1 month later...

NY Times Sunday Connecticut section has a review on Fat Cat tomorrow, I was there last night and fri night the week before. Great pizza, wine list.....the place was ROCKIN" I had to wait 30 minutes for a table...but it is well worth it

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the review hit the Times and this place is now packed. Went Friday night and there was a 30 minute wait at 8:00 PM. We asked if we could sit at the large communal table where another six were already seated. Had a quick salad and plate of cheese before catching a movie around the corner.

We thoroughly enjoy Fat Cat. The pizzas and salads are terrific with a usually good selection of cheeses. The best part though are the guys that run the place from Fountain Head wines. They know there wines and offer an eclectic selection. In designing the space and determining the kind of food they wanted to serve, they simply wanted to open a restaurant that they themselves would like to hang out at. In my view they've accomplished it.

Also, they have a great beer list that changes every few weeks. They also bring in unfermented beer from England and ferment it themselves in the basement. It has no preservatives and supposedly only lasts 5 or 6 days. I had a glass a few weeks ago and it was delicious.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

• 3 months later...

I just went there Thursday night, and the salad was good. We ordered the special pie for the night which was a white pie with garlic, tomato, and basil plus we ordered a regular cheese pie with half grilled eggplant. The food was ok, I did like that the crust was so thin and chewy, but the sauce on the cheese pie was so-so. I was hoping for a little bit better pizza, maybe it was just an off night :hmmm:

• 9 months later...

I checked out the wine shop that these guys have on route 136 - great stuff. I really like that they don't have a massive inventory, just wines that they like. I also picked up a couple of Belgian beers that I have yet to try. Looking forward to trying their eatery! :biggrin:

They are now about to open Fat Cat Joe. A coffee/pastry shop just a few doors down the street. I have tasted the coffee they are going to serve and it is going to be great. The only good cup of joe in lower Fairfield County.