• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cole Slaw

fifi

i love it with mayo...add scallions and old bay, v good with steamed crabs and beer..i have never mixed cabbages but add some carrot for color...i am going to try with some red cabbage

What perfect timing. I need to bring a large quantity of coleslaw to our beach community's anniversary celebration, and I want to make something different from the usual slaw recipe.

I think I'll try the SuperSlaw mentioned above, because the asian flavour will be different and I hate sweet coleslaw.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

I have made something I originally found a recipe for as "Hot Southern Style Slaw". Not really sure why it is called southern style, as I can't recall ever seeing it in the south, but it is certainly tasty enough that the south could adopt it...

You start with your basic shredded cabbage and carrots for the bulk. The dressing is cooked, and consists of frying up aboue a lb of bacon (well, I use a lb of bacon, you could use less), then adding in some vinegar, salt, black pepper, a little oil if you need, and a good quantity of hot sauce (your basic louisiana style). You pour all of this (including the bacon grease (which acts as the oil) and chopped bacon) over the veggies, let it sit overnight to blend, and wow, it is quite good.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

• 2 years later...

I made a great slaw last nite. Would like to hear your ideas/recipes.

Shredded green cabbage

shook together in a jar, mostly made to taste:

Peanut oil

lime juice

garlic

pinch sugar

Sambal Oelek (chili garlic condiment)

fish sauce

1tsp freshly ground coriander seed

tossed marinade with cabbage for a few hours in fridge

Just before serving tossed with handful chopped cilantro and black sesame seeds and black mustard seeds(I toasted these in a dry pan until fragrant)

Had it with tilapia I cooked coated in yogurt mixed with shallot, garlic and ground coriander, baked until it flaked. Delicious.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

We've had some other slaw topics throughout the years and I think I posted this, my favorite recipe, in one of them.

But here it is again:

Red & Green Coleslaw

1/2 head red cabbage

1/2 head green cabbage

1/2 large red onion

1 Cup dried cranberries - Crazins

Dressing:

1/3 C cider vinegar

1/3 C flavorless vegetable oil (not olive oil)

1/3 C sugar

1 tsp celery seed

In a small jar, combine the dressing ingredients and shake until sugar is dissolved.

Slice the vegetables very thinly and put into a large bowl. Add cranberries. Add dressing and toss well. Cover and place into fridge. Let sit for about 3 hours for flavors to combine, stirring occasionally. Drain and serve.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks.

I like the addition of dried cranberries, will have to try that.

And sometimes I add walnuts, too. The combination of the sweet & sour slaw with the cranberries and walnuts works really well.

In fact, thinking about it gets my tongue tingling. Think I'll toss some up for tonight.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've made slaw a couple of times in the last week. I had made oven braise chuck with BBQ sauce. Didn't want to offend and call it BBQ :rolleyes: What better to serve than a nice slaw. For these types I like a mayo based slaw.

Ina Garten's Bleu Cheese Coleslaw.......the BEST I've ever eaten. Basically just a really good basic coleslaw with a mayo/mustard dressing (celery salt......) with bleu cheese & chopped Italian parsley added. The only mayo-based slaw I'll ever make again.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I just added this recipe to Recipe Gullet

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r2125.html

I've been doing this shredded beet salad for about a year now- I copied it from an Indian restaurant in my area, I've just loved it from the get-go - and it works really well as an accompaniment to grilled meats of all sorts. I guess it falls under the category of 'slaw of all kinds' :wink: depending on how broadly you want to define it. Either way, it's great stuff.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

My favorite coleslaw.....and the one that I always get rave reviews from is this one which I got online from Epicurious: Curried Coleslaw with Green Onions and Currants.

I use dried cranberries instead of the currants. I really like the combination of sweet, sour and spicy.

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

Another good one I thought of at work today (cruisin' the Gullet at lunch.......) that falls into the non-mayo slaw category.

Cilantro slaw with a lime/garlic vinaigrette. Your usual suspects for the slaw, cabbage and thin sliced onion. Add some thin chunks of English (hothouse) cucumber and as much chopped cilantro as you like. Make the dressing of LOADS of minced garlic, lime juice, EVOO and S&P. Toss and serve.

Particularly good (obviously) with Mexican food.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 3 months later...

This recipe in the Houston Chronicle this week was recommended to me by a friend. (Scroll down.) I just made it and it is really wonderful. 

Hmmm, just checked out the recipe you posted.  Looks great and the idea of adding some shrimp sounds good.  I want to try this!

I've been looking for new slaw recipes. This one's no longer available. If someone has it, would you be kind enough to post it? Thanks!

scb

... Shel

This recipe in the Houston Chronicle this week was recommended to me by a friend. (Scroll down.) I just made it and it is really wonderful. 

Hmmm, just checked out the recipe you posted.  Looks great and the idea of adding some shrimp sounds good.  I want to try this!

I've been looking for new slaw recipes. This one's no longer available. If someone has it, would you be kind enough to post it? Thanks!

scb

ShelI don't have the old Chronicle recipe, but I don't see this cole slaw version posted. It is from the Brookville Hotel of Brookville, Kansas, and is an excellent counterpart for fried chicken (aat the hotel) and for pulled pork and brisket.

Brookville Hotel Cole Slaw Dressing

Justifiably famous for their fried chicken,

the Brookville, Kansas Hotel serves a great

cole slaw which is a super side dish for BBQ ribs or chicken:

1 tsp salt

2/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup cider vinegar

1 cup whipping cream

Combine the above ingredients well. Pour

dressing over shredded cabbage and

refrigerate at least two hours.

I make a Salvadoran coleslaw. It is served with pupusas but has become my slaw of choice. It's called "curtido." Google and you should find a lot of recipes. It's basically cabbage, carrots, vinegar, hot pepper relish, pepper flakes and oregano.

Thanks for posting that. I never heard of curtido and looked up some recipes. It seems to be something I'd enjoy making and eating.

shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I'm not a fan of mayo based coleslaws. Here is my recipe, which has always been a favorite.

¾ cup vegetable oil

1 cup sugar

1 cup apple cider vinegar

2 teaspoons celery seed

2 teaspoons dry mustard

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1 large cabbage, coarsely shredded

1 large onion, sliced

METHOD:

1. Combine the oil, sugar, and vinegar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, add the celery seed, mustard, salt, and pepper, lower the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes.

2. Combine the cabbage and onion with the marinade in a large glass or porcelain bowl or in a large food safe plastic bag. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Serve cold.