• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Connection returns

badthings

I read in the last Art of Eating that the guy who founded Coffee Connection has started a new business after his noncompete agreement with Starbucks finally expired. I grew up on his coffee, and frankly stopped caring about good coffee after he sold out -- I've never found a source of comparable quality (to my taste; don't even get me started on Bay Area roasters).

The thing is, we ran out of coffee this morning, and I'm not fully recovered from the freakout that ensued, and I want to order some RIGHT NOW, but I can't remember the website (it was publishished in AoE). Anyone know what it is?

Well, you might have to wait a bit--the web site appears to be here, but there isn't much there.

I hadn't heard about this, though to this day I'm still mad that George Howell sold out to Starbucks and let them destroy the Coffee Connection. Coffee really hasn't been the same for me either.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Thanks for the link. Definitely looks like mail order is out of the question for now. I'm sorry that you still have to live in Boston haunted by the memory of real coffee.

For the record, I have found two west coast coffee roasters that are acceptable:

Batdorf & Bronson (Olympia -- it's the water!)

Peaberry's (Oakland, no mail order)

Neither, of course, is up to CC's standards (though I fear my obsession may have exaggerateed their virtues as the memory receeds). But this is by no means a thorough survey -- as I said, I was so broken by the demise of CC that I stopped being a coffee snob entirely. Now I just drink shitty Tader Joes coffee and waste my money on wine instead.

I'm sorry that you still have to live in Boston haunted by the memory of real coffee.

Actually, I live in Brooklyn haunted by the memory of real coffee. And even more haunted by the memory of real ice cream, but that's a different thread.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Hi,

Being from the South, I've never had Coffee Connection coffee, but being in the business, I've been well aware of George Howell's reputation. He has one of the best palate's (sp?) in the coffee business. And despite his reluctance to sell out to SBUX for quite a long time, I don't blame him for taking the $23 million and walking away.

Here's a link on his Copa Cafe in Lexington. It must have been written before the temporary "restructuring." http://www.boston.com/dining/globe_review/805

So don't look for a real Coffee Connection. SBUX most likely owns the rights to that name.

His roasting business is called GHH Select. It supplies coffee to the Copa Cafe and will likely be a wholesale distributor to other coffee houses and restaurants. Shouldn't be long before a mail order business pops up. He excelled in that business line, too.

Joe

You gonna eat that?

• 1 month later...
Actually, I live in Brooklyn haunted by the memory of real coffee. And even more haunted by the memory of real ice cream, but that's a different thread.

Moopheus - get yourself over to Gimme Coffee in Williamsburg. They just opened there a few months ago and trust me that they are very good. Great fresh roasted coffee made properly and excellent espresso. They serve only double ristretto shots for espresso and pay great attention to the crucial details. I've sampled the wares on repeat occasions at two of their three original Ithaca area locations and have been advised that the Brooklyn spot is up to the same high standards.

Here's a web site with some profile info on their roaster - he appears to be the real deal

John Gant - Master Roaster

I say this in spite of the fact that on the home page of his web site his picture bears a scary resemblance to Hannibal Lecter (but I assure you... those are coffee beans he's holding.... not fava beans)