• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Y'all Are Shamelessly Remiss!

Comfort Me

Camellia Red Beans site with interesting history and a few recipes. I have sent them an inquiry about why their beans are different and what they consider a good shelf life. I will report back here and on the Dried Bean thread.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Rachel,

Now that you have challenged me I will start going back through all of my old posts and figure it out. It got stuck in a thread involving someone who was asking about things to cook for entrees as he or she was currently operating with only a hot plate (or something like that, hell, I can't remember. I am old and my memory is shot-too many beans out of aluminum pots I guess :wacko: ).

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Just to show you the depths of my searching depravity:

This seemed like the most likely thread, but you never posted in it.
Here's a post by you that mentions beans, but no recipe.
No beans in this recipe for Venison Sauce Piquant, but you did say "I will stick this in recipe gullet sometime shortly so it will be easier to find," and haven't yet. No recipes in there by you. :raz:
Very little to do with beans, but I love this post by you about kids and corporate eating.

Squeat Mungry was the dude with no stove, if that helps.

I do remember mayhaw posting that too. Maybe it was in Squeat's blog??

(I am really excited to do a LA menu, thanks for the inspiration and the information y'all!)

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Blah, Blah, Blah.

I am posting a recipe in recipe gullet now, but I still say I put it somewhere on this site.

Sorry for the trouble. You made a valiant effort. :wink:

I think we should all get together and form an unruly mob, armed with okra, and bombard Brooks until he is covered with okra slime. For shame. A TEXAN, for chisakes, has a gumbo recipe in there. :laugh::raz:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ok. OK OK Dammit. Here you go. I will now go stick this in the recipe archives so that I will not have any more trouble with Rachel.

Red Beans and Rice w/sausage (or pork rib meat)

2 lb. good quality smoked PORK! sausage or some good chops

2 lb. dried red kidneys (1 large bag of Camellia Brand will work nicely)

2 tbls worchestershire

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp cayenne

1 tsp cumin (cumin, not chili powder!)

2 tbls italian seasoning

4 tbls olive oil

2 bay leaves

2 tbls olive oil

2 large YELLOW onions

1 large green bell pepper (if ya got money go for red)

3 stalks celery

5 (or 6 or 10) toes garlic

1 bunch parsley

1 jalapeno (seeded, don't forget)

Soak beans overnight in large (8-10 qt.) pot with first 8 ingredients

Coursely chop onions, b.p., celery.

Fine chop garlic, parsley, jalapeno

Put pot on stove without draining beans, cover and bring to a boil. Once beans come to a boil cut down to a medium simmer. You may need to add water as you go along.

While starting beans sweat onions,celery,and bellpepper in olive oil. When onions are bordering on translucent, add garlic and cook for another minute or two. DON"T BURN THE GARLIC!

Add vegetable mixture to beans and add jalapeno

After you are done with the vegetables, halve sausage length wise and cut into 5 inch pieces (basically the length of two bites. You can cut it into bite size pieces, but the smaller they are the more they break up while browning and cooking) and brown. Remember, this is browning! You need to put them into the pan wide side down and BROWN. That crust is the key to pork goodness in this dish (You can cook the sausage on a grill as well, if you are using rib meat-I reccomend the grill).

Drain sausage and pat with paper towels. Add sausage to pot.

Cook on low simmer WITH TOP ON AT ALL TIMES and stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot as you stir. These will take about 4 hours to cook (you will need to test as you go). When you are about a half hour from done add the parsley.

If you like your beans creamy, rather than "beany" scoop out a bowl full and mash and add them back to the pot. Or take one of those swell boat motors and mix them up that way (but don't do it in the pot unless you are trying to make red bean dip, which, if you have never had it, is pretty damn good)

Serve over rice with big honking hunks of bread.

This whole pot of beans, even with reasonably good sausage, is not going to be much more than ten dollars and will freeze well. This will feed about 8 real hungry people or feed you about 8 times (or more if you go heavy on the rice).

The warning about the top is because beans, cooked for long periods of time, will scorch badly if top is left off. You can also put all of these ingredients in a pressure cooker and do this a whole lot faster, but that kind of defeats the purpose of "slow food".

This is a great dish and it is even better because you keep getting little reminders of your meal long after you are finished dining

(I have a feeling that Brooks read Squeat's blog, and thought, "Hey, I ought to put my "Red Beans and Rice w/sausage" recipe on that thread," but then he forgot to do it. Months later, he's convinced himself he did. :laugh:)

I am pretty sure that some heavy handed post deleter was jealous of my fabulous red beans and did not want them to be shared with the world. I have now corrected this situation. :wink:

On the other hand, Rachel is probably right. :laugh:

I think we should all get together and form an unruly mob, armed with okra, and bombard Brooks until he is covered with okra slime.

I could probably get into it as long as it involved garlic, onions, and very ripe tomatoes. :wink::laugh:

Having just returned from a heavenly trip to New Orleans, I immediately sent out invitations to fellow frozen Chicogoans to enjoy a bit of Mardi Gras at my home. I promised red beans, chicken and sausage jambalaya (with homemade sausage), greens, and Galette des Rois (the French pithivier style, rather than the New Orleans yeasted -- I've been working on mastering laminates and this is a great opportunity to show off my puff pastry!)

Having promised the moon in my invitations, I went to RecipeGullet to check out what authoritative recipes the Louisianans had posted for posterity. And, alas, I found not a single recipe for red beans, jambalaya,or greens. How could this be? I know Southerners, and Louisianans in particular, to be the most generous breed on earth.

Now surely you owe it to your fellow eGulleters to spread the word, to feed the hungry, to fatten up the thin! We gotta have some fuel to keep warm here -- today's wind chills are for -35 degrees!

How 'bout helping a guy get his fix, huh? Pretty please?

If you think you can find some whole collard heads (or stalks - or whatever they're called) - and a smoked ham hock - I can give you an easy recipe for greens. Robyn

I am posting a recipe in recipe gullet now, but I still say I put it somewhere on this site.

I know where you put it. :raz:

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

I know where you put it. :raz:

I did not have it where you apparently think my head is most of the time-if that is what you meant :raz::laugh:

Dear Fistfullaroux,

Here's where the argument starts: rice. I only use long grain rice. Specifically Mahatma (made in my hometown). Never ever ever ever use Uncle Ben's perverted rice for this. The rice should be rinsed well 3 times before cooking, and only be seasoned while cooking with salt and a splash of plain ol white vinegar. It should be perfectly cooked. I invested in a rice cooker years ago, but occasionally have done it on the stove. The directions on the bag for stovetop cooking use a little too much water. Use a heavy saucepan, follow the directions, but hold about 1/4 cup of water out. It should be ever so slightly dry (to hold only the sauce) and not at all crunchy. This rice is also perfect for gumbos, ettoufees, and jambos.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Very few people in cyberspace I have met follow this philosophy.

Everyone (cajun) I know does.

Hi Comfort Me,

I really like hot italian sausage in my beans.

Don't forget ...white beans are cajun, red beans are a New Orleans thing.

hee-hee

Have you finished your menu yet?

Lucille: I really need to get my eyes checked. I read it twice befor figuring out it didn't say "I really like hot italian sausage in my jeans." Hold on a sec -- I have to clean coffee off of my monitor.

For the party, I'm making Brooks' red beans, chicken and sausage jambo, cornbread and King Cakes. A friend is bringing greans with smoked turkey. I'll also have spicy candied nuts around the house for people to nibble on with their beer. (The beer is all Mexican -- left over from my poker game.)

As for the whole rice thing? I'm going with plain, long grain white rice. I don't have an Uncle Ben, so I wouldn't even consider eating his rice.

Laissez le bon temps roulet!

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Ah, good plan.

After a few beers, they won't care where it came from.

Alla is this weekend, my brother says he was invited to ride. As of yesterday noon, he has no clue what float, what theme, what color or what rider order that will be.

An engineer, too.

ha!

I do not miss peerades, I do not miss peerades.

• 2 weeks later...
1 large green bell pepper (if ya got money go for red)

Mayhaw Man, please educate me.

I plead Northern (and Western, being in CA) ignorance, but I long for knowledge.

I know that the trinity clearly calls for green peppers, and only those. But I truly detest them, and adore yellow and red...last night I was trying a jambalaya recipe from New Orleans in a Bowl, and went to the store specifically for green peppers, in order to properly replicate the recipe. Well, despite my quest for authenticity, no green peppers were on offer (our blasted grocery strike is in its 5th month now, and many staples are unavailable, like green peppers, and meat with bones...) so I defaulted to red. Honey, that pot of jamabalaya certainly floated our boats, even with the heretical reds, so my question is, what special mojo do green peppers bring to the party that reds are lacking, and how much crap would one subject one's own self to, if one were to bring a green-pepperless-pot of goodness to a LA (not L.A.) potluck?

I eagerly await enlightenment.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I use colored peppers all the time instead of green. My wife doesn't like them much so I tend to replace them with something else. The bell peppers are the important part, not so much the color. In Gumbo the colors add a lot to the visuals as well as the flavor and I use them by choice most of the time (unless the price is stupid, which it often is. In the summer and fall I have them in my garden so price really isn't an issue.

Personally I love green bell peppers, but it seems as though many people don't.

For a ham product we usually use a smoked ham hock. Unfortunately, I doubt that is readily available in the windy city. A friend of mine starts with minced tasso which is quite good as well. Also for sausage I recommend the Hilshire farms smoked sausage. While its overly processed, it is somewhat smokey which adds to the flavor. As a variation on the creamy theme you could also get a small portion of beans going before the bulk goes in. Lately I find that cooking the beans over high heat actually helps keep them from sticking. The rolling boil just keeps everything in the pot moving around. At some point you need to go low though or it will stick. ch