• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Delectable Delhi from Dusk 'Til Dawn

Monica Bhide

Wow. What a fantastic tale!

Trouble is, now I'm really hungry, but I think I have a good idea what tonight's dinner's going to be....mmm, aloo tikki.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

What a most amazing photojournalistic tour of Delhi street food, Monica. The things you do for us!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yes -- it was quite a chore eating all that stuff and meeting all those nice people :raz:

I have to thank Ellen Shapiro for inspiring me to click pics -- i feel in love with her work on Mongolia -- it really made me understand the value of food photography. I have a lot to learn and a long way to go --

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

What a most amazing photojournalistic tour of Delhi street food, Monica. The things you do for us!

Seriously, Monica. I'm so happy you chose to bring such a beautiful piece to TDG!

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Great pics. You know that breadsandwich pakoras have not changed a bit - There used to be variations of it along with side accompaniments in the small stalls in the outer rng of Cannaught Place some 25 years ago. I gather some are still there.

The AndaParatha walas near IIT & JNU vicinity were famous for feeding hungover folks. and not to mention the Tibetian Dhabas by the Bus Station feeding DU crowd.....

Just got back from South Am, and heading for India this coming week - My only vacation in a year :biggrin:

anil

I suddenly feel an intense need to go back to India (rather than just my usual gnawing desire).

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Great Piece Monica! Having been back to Delhi as well during Christmas - the variety and choice available in just North Indian food never fails to astound me - There are SO many snacks and lesser known food items available, and you did an excellent job of describing the adventure, taste sensations and thrill of a new food find! I can't wait to go back - Will definlety give you my top picks - my parents have been on an aloo parantha mission - determined to find the best paranthas in Delhi - will keep you updated on their finds!

Great pics. You know that breadsandwich pakoras have not changed a bit - There used to be variations of it along with side accompaniments in the small stalls in the outer rng of Cannaught Place some 25 years ago. I gather some are still there.

The AndaParatha walas near IIT & JNU vicinity were famous for feeding hungover folks. and not to mention the Tibetian Dhabas by the Bus Station feeding DU crowd.....

Just got back from South Am, and heading for India this coming week - My only vacation in a year :biggrin:

Hey we look forward to a complete trip report. Have fun

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Great Piece Monica! Having been back to Delhi as well during Christmas - the variety and choice available in just North Indian food never fails to astound me - There are SO many snacks and lesser known food items available, and you did an excellent job of describing the adventure, taste sensations and thrill of a new food find! I can't wait to go back - Will definlety give you my top picks - my parents have been on an aloo parantha mission - determined to find the best paranthas in Delhi - will keep you updated on their finds!

sounds so delicious.. thanks Anu and waiting to read your report on the local finds in NYC

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Great Piece Monica! Having been back to Delhi as well during Christmas - the variety and choice available in just North Indian food never fails to astound me - There are SO  many snacks and lesser known food items available,  and you did an excellent job of describing the adventure, taste sensations and thrill of a new food find! I can't wait to go back - Will definlety give you my top picks - my parents have been on an aloo parantha mission - determined to find the best paranthas in Delhi - will keep you updated on their finds!

sounds so delicious.. thanks Anu and waiting to read your report on the local finds in NYC

You meant DEL not NYC,right ? :biggrin:

anil