• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Those damn molten cakes, again...

tan319

Thanks for the links, loufood.

An interesting note about this recipe is that there is no molten center.

Which brings me to this.

I made a batch the other day at work ,skipping the white choc insert/ ganache to give to the staff, just to get rid of the 1st batter I made.

My chef flipped over it. Loved it!

As did everyone else.

So I'm thinking of serving it for Valentines day with a griotte cherry sauce or a sorbet, something sour-ish to cut into the sweetness.

With that idea Chef Yosses planted about raspberries, maybe I'll load it with a couple of griottes or even a dark chocolate ganache dipped griotte.

Could be good.

I hope you dig the idea, Chef :smile:

2317/5000

Lemon pound Cake

3 lemons

2 3/4 cups AP flour

1 1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream

6 large eggs

11 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, still warm.

FOR THE GLAZE

6 lemons

2 cups confectioner's sugar

-preheat oven to 350f. grease a 9x 4 loaf pan or two 6x3 loaf pans with non stick vegetable spray , line with parchment. spray paper. grate zest of 3 lemons , supreme them.

-into a bowl of a mixer, sift flour, sugar, baking powder and begin mixing at low speed, add zest, creme fraiche, lemon segments, their juice and beat in eggs 1 x 1 , then warm butter added slowly while the mixer is running (be sure the batter is emulsifying; opaque at this point). Pour into the prepared loaf pan(s). Bake at 350f for one houror until a paring knife comes out clean.

- for the glaze, juice the six lemons, bring to a boil and add confectioner's sugar and stir well then transfer into a pan wide enough to accept the loaf.

When the pound cake is done, let it cool and then remove from loaf pan and set into the lemon soak, and squeeze gently to make the cake absorb the juice. Turn cake over and repeat all around. Return the cake to a greased baking sheet or cooling rack over a pan and return to oven for 5 minutes to "set the glaze. Be careful handling it, it is very easy to break.

yield 12 servings.

Chef Yosses - I gave your lemon pound cake recipe a try yesterday and had a bit of a problem. The flavor was really very good, but the texture of the cake was very dense and rubbery inside. It also really didn't rise in the oven at all. I thought it might be the baking powder, but I know I added it and package is only a few months old, so I don't think it's gone bad. The finished batter was very liquid, though I made sure it was still emulsified and not broken. Any ideas as to what may have gone wrong?