• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fabulous Produce Stores

In my experience, Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck is top-notch for first-rate produce at fairly competitive prices. They have, for example, the meatiest Shiitake mushrooms I've ever seen; not cheap at $8.99 a pound, but worth every penny.

The Tenafly Gourmet Farm on Piermont Road had nice Shiitakes last time I was there; I don't go there in the winter, because they never put the heat on and the cashiers are all wearing their heavy coats, hats and gloves!!

I love Sickles and shop there weekly. Another place which is along the same lines

is Dearborn Farms on 35 in Holdmel. They also have a decent butcher and do very good catering if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

The outlaws actually live in Lafayette and Newton is the closest ShopRite. I'm gonna have 2 weeks of basic free time and food shopping and cooking are a passion of mine so I always search out the freshest produce I can buy. I would appreciate the directions to Appletree when you have time.

Regards

Tom

PS As we're coming back from Australia what shellfish is in season at the moment?? And where would you guys and gals suggest I go to get it??

It would be a long trip for you but Freeman's Fish Market in Maplewood has an outstanding reputation. Don't think they have any barrimundi tho!

http://www.freemansfishmarket.com/

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

The outlaws actually live in Lafayette and Newton is the closest ShopRite. I'm gonna have 2 weeks of basic free time and food shopping and cooking are a passion of mine so I always search out the freshest produce I can buy. I would appreciate the directions to Appletree when you have time.

Regards

Tom

PS As we're coming back from Australia what shellfish is in season at the moment?? And where would you guys and gals suggest I go to get it??

It would be a long trip for you but Freeman's Fish Market in Maplewood has an outstanding reputation. Don't think they have any barrimundi tho!

http://www.freemansfishmarket.com/

Ok the barramundi is a real disappointment :biggrin: Damn that's one thing I really will miss once we move back to NJ. I'll definitely check out Freeman's though.

Regards

Tom

I want food and I want it now

There is a place in Bogota that I always resort to in times of dire need - their fruits and vegetables are always impeccable looking and delicious. BUT - the woman who runs the place (may be the owner?) is a shrew beyond belief. Don't try asking her for anything organic - she's likely to snap your head off at the neck.

Well, with reservations, here is their website:

http://www.juliosfruit.com

Click on "contact us" for address, phone number, and hours.

There is a place in Bogota that I always resort to in times of dire need

-. BUT - the woman who runs the place (may be the owner?) is a shrew beyond belief.

I don't believe that the lady in question is the owner-I don't shop there bcz of her rudeness.

That side of Queen Anne Road is in TEANECK-the next block is BOGOTA-

Right you are, JPR54_. I always get those businesses on the border confused.

I am glad that you agree with me about the counter staff.

A friend of mine told me tonight that there are actually two women who work the counter there, and while he wouldn't characterize them as outright rude, he does say that they are "weird," and avoids asking them questions for that reason. Sad.

Well - I did as I planned and ordered a Spring boost from Diamond Organics. Ordered Tuesday night (NE time) and it arrived today (Thursday).

It is absolutely spectacular:

The seasonal sampler (veges & fruit) - beautiful greens (2 I am working to identify, along with mesclun, a red leaf lettuce, parsley, and some baby spinach), some tender carrots, broccoli, and baby potatoes. Two kiwi, 4 apples, 3 pears, 2 clementines and 3 assorted oranges, etc, etc.

The "Cafe Bouquet" - breathtaking. Includes wonderful assortment, including fragrant stems of Rosemary, orange dahlia like flowers, etc..... and one fabulous calla lily for drama.

The extras - fresh basil, 2 pounds of blood oranges, 2 pounds of anjou pears and a wonderful artisan bread loaf.

No take-out this Friday night!!!!

Well, butter my b--- and call me a biscuit!

• 2 months later...
What is it with naming produce stores "California Farm(s)"? I was starting this post to tell you about a local prodcue store that I just love, California Farms in Fort Lee. So I could provide the exact address, I looked it up on yp.yahoo and found not just that, but three other California Farm or Farms stores in northern NJ. I didn't think it was a chain, but I called to make sure, each of them are owned by different people and have nothing to do with each other. Weird. The other stores are in Westfield, Wayne and Emerson (actually that one is closer to my house, I'll have to check it out).

We've stopped at California Farm(s?) in Westfield a couple of times now as part of our new Saturday morning ritual: yoga, then to a produce market to see what looks good, then we go home & I make lunch while Mr. Babyluck watches Yugi-oh.

It's kind of a strange place, but I like it. Sort of like going to a crowded, dusty antique shop--you know you're going to find a good deal. There is a pretty amazing selection of produce & dry goods--they carry Muir Glen tomatoes, olive oil, panko, some grains & flours, dried fruits & nuts (very cheap!). Actually, it seems more like a dollar store (or a lower-end TJs) than anything else--the selection is pretty random but interesting. The quality of the fresh food is hit-or-miss. I have seen visible mold on vegetables a couple of times and once a block of cheddar completely coated in green fuzz. However, I got parsley there and a full 2 weeks later after coming back from vacation, it's still fine! I've never seen parsley last that long.

We usually prefer to go to The Greengrocer on South Ave. They have gorgeous stuff and it's a great shopping experience, but the prices of course are much higher. Still, I would have to say it's my favorite place right now. They have beautiful flowers and plants if you need a quick gift, and a very well-chosen but expensive selection of dry goods. The staff couldn't be nicer.

I think I'll check out Times Market now--sounds interesting!

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Hey, I just got back from Times Market in S. Plainfield. Loved it!!! Much better & cheaper than California Farm. The only thing that was more expensive was the dried fruit--oh, well. The thing that made me happiest was the bunch of basil for 99 cents. And it was good stuff. Also, they had grape tomatoes on sale for 99 cents a pint, fresh shitakes, persimmons--great!

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

My choice in the summer is absolutely DePiero's. Fresh, plentiful, and reasonable.

In the "off" season, Maywood is good.

I'm suprised, however, that no one mentioned the market in Hackensack between Main Street and River Street. May not be too noticeable because the large parking lot faces River Street, and the building, while large, does not front Main.

Don't know the name....not even sure it has a name visible!!!!!

Caters to a large and diverse ethnic base, so the selections are great! Also, given the location and clientele, the prices are every bit as reasonable as Corrado with none of the crowding. I have not been to Corrado more than 3 times in the last two years. Produce is very "tired" in my opinion.

The Hackensack store typically has very reasonable yellow/red/orange peppers, 2 or 3 types of cukes and zucchini, counted 5 kinds of eggplant, 6 types of onions (including cippolini). Hass avocados usually 89-99 cents each, and 4 or more types of loose hot peppers like habenero, jalepeno, etc.

Actually, I'm kind of reluctant to share the good news.

Might be a good place to check out when you're nearby in Maywood.

It may be; as I mentioned, while I'm sure there is a sign, I can't even visualize it.

Assuming that we are thinking of the same market, what is your impression of the produce?

I know they have fish and meat and some other groceries, but I have only purchased fruits, vegs, and flowers there.

• 11 months later...

Just got back from my first-ever trip to Corrado's. WOW. Total sensory overload.

Given the size of the Sat afternoon crowd, I was amazed at the level of courtesy between the cart-wielding shoppers. Reminded me of driving in Rome; if you tune into the pace & the customs, it's actually pretty functional.

Bought corn & peaches from produce, basically because they were there. Not spectacular quality but great prices.

Fish counter: uneven. Again, great prices. Flounder & halibut were clearly old. OTOH sole, grouper & tilapia looked very fresh. Got the sole, we'll see how it cooks up.

Also, curiously, there was a tub of "Fresh Maine Shrimp." They cetainly looked like the Maine shrimp, but since the season ended in March unless there was an extension I don't know about, they had to have been previously frozen. Truth in labeling? I thought of calling them on it, but didn't have the strength at that point in the day.

An interesting place. Lots of bargains to be had - pastas, cheeses, on & on. With the 8-mile detour from my job, though, I doubt that I'll get there too often.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Wanted to give a plug for Old Hook Farm in Emerson. Run by the same family for 25 years, they actually farm 6 acres here organically. Their stuff is mostly available in the summer months, with terrific and unusual lettuces, cucumbers, zucchini, cabbage, corn and tomatoes. Not cheap, but very high quality. They also have some of the more standard stuff that they probably get from the wholesale markets in NYC. But all good quality. Just past the Water Company offices on Old Hook Road.

As far as Corrado's, my only thoughts are low low prices, and low, low quality. And you need a lot of patience, small aisles and huge crowds. It's not for me.

I thought of calling them on it, but didn't have the strength at that point in the day.

You HAVE to call them on it. Well, if it's late in the day, I understand. But the more you shop there, the more you'll discover that more things need "calling-on" than not... unfortunately.

I've been shopping there since 1980, when their main focus was at another location and current store was nothing like it is today. They have much good stuff and great prices, but the amount of 'stuff' that they try to "get away" with is disgraceful - I don't know if calling them on it counts for anything that will make them stop, but it can't hurt to let them know that they're not fooling everybody. Apparently they think they are, which is offensive.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

...17 farmers market

Are you talking about the one behind Staples in Rutherford/Carlstadt?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I thought of calling them on it, but didn't have the strength at that point in the day.

You HAVE to call them on it. Well, if it's late in the day, I understand. But the more you shop there, the more you'll discover that more things need "calling-on" than not... unfortunately.

I've been shopping there since 1980, when their main focus was at another location and current store was nothing like it is today. They have much good stuff and great prices, but the amount of 'stuff' that they try to "get away" with is disgraceful - I don't know if calling them on it counts for anything that will make them stop, but it can't hurt to let them know that they're not fooling everybody. Apparently they think they are, which is offensive.

Totally agree with you. Unfortunately I was in a state of near-exhaustion due to an afternoon at the English Country Faire in Montclair & an inadequate lunch. I really didn't have the strength to get into a confrontation, I needed to get my fish & get out of the place.

Anyway the sole proved to be quite good. The corn was sweet but had a peculiar rotting-vegetation overtone.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845