• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fabulous Produce Stores

What is it with naming produce stores "California Farm(s)"? I was starting this post to tell you about a local prodcue store that I just love, California Farms in Fort Lee. So I could provide the exact address, I looked it up on yp.yahoo and found not just that, but three other California Farm or Farms stores in northern NJ. I didn't think it was a chain, but I called to make sure, each of them are owned by different people and have nothing to do with each other. Weird. The other stores are in Westfield, Wayne and Emerson (actually that one is closer to my house, I'll have to check it out).

Anyway, getting back to the reason for this post. I just love the California Farms produce store in Fort Lee. I was at Fairway Market in Fort Lee this morning, and I just couldn't bring myself to buy much produce at their exorbatant prices. For example, red peppers were 5 or 6 dollars a pound. Even though I needed them, I just couldn't bring myself to pay more than $4/lb, which is what is the usual non-sale price around here. So, leaving the store with a few tomatoes and a baguette, I head over the "the produce store" near where I used to live (I didn't know the name until I paid attention to it this AM), I haven't been there in a while, but it was close by where I was and I knew they had good prices. Here are some examples:

Red Peppers (big & beautiful) $1.29 on special, yes $1.29. The green peppers were the same price, which is high-average for green bell peppers, but the yellows were only $1.99. :biggrin:

Cauliflower were $1.49 each. Most of the supermarkets have been selling them for $3, and they've been kind of on the small side, too.

Cut up fruit salad, hmm, I don't know the price per pound, but in the supermarkets it's like $3-5/lb, you know cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, sometimes pineapple, cut into large chunks. Well, here it was $2 for just the cantaloupe, $2.50 for the assortment. Big containers that I know would be more than $5 at Stop & Shop.

I left there with 5 bags of assorted produce (they had some nice green beans today too), milk & juice. I didn't even pay attention when paying by cc, looked at the receipt in the car, $30. How is this even possible?

So, anyway, not only do they have good prices, but the quality and assortment of produce is nearly always good. And they have flowers. A nice choice in dairy, juice, and nuts, whole and mixes. And dried fruits. I just love this place and have to remember to go back more often. It's worth the detour.

California Farms - in the Pathmark shopping center off of Rt 46.

Address: 1475 Bergen Blvd, Fort Lee, NJ 07024

Phone: (201) 461-0388

In the summer I like to go to Farmers Markets, but there's just something about the reliablility of a good produce store.

So, tell us about your favorite, be sure to include the address. :smile:

You want great produce at rock bottom prices??? Go to Corrados in Clifton. Just be careful about the time you go, it can get very busy on saturday mornings or any day the week of a holiday. While you are there check out the fish department, with a huge selection of whole fish, and the meat department, which carries everything from rabbit to giant veal chops to pork belly. Oh, and the italian specialty counter is pretty good. Pretty darn good. And the pastries are ok...and across the street is the winemaking and homebrew store, which is enormous.

The produce is fantastic. Its a struggle sometimes to get to what you want, since it is always busy, but worth the trip.

Anthony

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I totally agree, I love Corrado's. I can usually get some fantastic unusual items. But I don't go on Friday afternoons either. Mornings are best for me of Thursday Night. I do hate the check out though, that is the worst part.

My vote is for Maywood Marketplace, on Pleasant Ave in downtown Maywood. One of the few places to get loose Brussels Sprouts, large and firm, $1.29/lb. Nice selection of lettuces, had asparagus yesterday for $2.49/lb. (Supermarket was $4.99/lb) Good prices on everything, good, fresh quality. Also a big selection of nuts and seeds, trail mixes, etc. While you are there check out the prepared foods, very good quality and prices. Cheese and olive bar as well. Great place!

Maywood Market Place

78 W Pleasant Ave

Maywood, NJ 07607-1337 Phone: (201) 843-8361

I love DePietro's farm in Montvale. The vegetables are always fresh and at wonderful prices. They also have a bakery, cheese department, greenhouse, gourmet foods.....

The Market Basket in franklin Lakes has good produces as well but the selection is limited in comparison to DePietro's.

:cool: It's Depiero's, by the way. They have recently added a seafood counter (a little pricey, not superior to small fish stores), and an upscale butcher. Among other things, I was able to find andouille sausages there recently for a gumbo I was making.

Appletree in Wharton has really stepped up in the past few months adding a very clean butcher shop to fresh produce, a sushi bar and authentic Italian meat & cheese deli. A very welcome addition.

Maywood Marketplace today--

Red Swiss Chard, big, beautiful red stems and leaves. $1.29/lb.

Leaf Lettuce, Red or Green, $1.29 for a large head--

Sun Dried Tomatoes, loose, $4.99/lb.

Pignolia nuts, loose, $5.99/lb. (Great for pesto)

Best deals on good-quality produce in the county!!

I second the votes for Maywood Marketplace and DiPiero's! Maywood is a local find, good produce, great prices and convenient! DiPiero's is where I go to do my serious produce shopping. They have lots of local, farm fresh fruits and veggies in season when Jersey peaches and tomatoes abound! Yum!

I've been to the California Farms in Emerson and it's not bad, albeit a tiny store. They also have a sushi bar and a salad bar with some interesting asian selections.

Janbee

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

I'm still addicted to the Union Sq greenmarket in NYC. After nearly 20 years working in the area (that part of my life is past now), it's a difficult habit to give up. In season, I still hop on the train with my backpack once a week & load up.

Which makes this time of year rather dreary, of course.

I live quite near that Rt 17 farm market, & have to say that, while the prices are good, I've never found the quality to be anywhere near that of a good greenmarket.

It sounds like I'm going to have to investigate Corrado's ASAP. I didn't know of the place till now. Thanks for mentioning it.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Could someone give the address for Corrados in Clifton. I'll be back in NJ in March and will probably be doing all the cooking at the in-laws while we stay with them. The prices at the ShopRite in Newton are just too way over the top for me.

Regards

Tom

I want food and I want it now

Tom, if you're going to be in Newton you should stop by Appletree. It'll save you 35 minutes, though you should stop at Corrado's when you have time. Appletree is just off Rt 15 and 10-15 minutes from Newton. If you need directions let me know.

The outlaws actually live in Lafayette and Newton is the closest ShopRite. I'm gonna have 2 weeks of basic free time and food shopping and cooking are a passion of mine so I always search out the freshest produce I can buy. I would appreciate the directions to Appletree when you have time.

Regards

Tom

PS As we're coming back from Australia what shellfish is in season at the moment?? And where would you guys and gals suggest I go to get it??

I want food and I want it now

Be advised that while the prices are low at Corrado's, the quality is also on a lower level than your average supermarket as well. Stick to bananas and citrus here and you will be safe.

If you are accustomed to Union Square, this is a totally different experience.

Thanks for the updates on Corrados. Doesn't sound like they're worth a special trip, but if I'm in the area I should still stop in & poke around.

Richfield Farms, another garden center in Clifton (!), has a small, seasonal produce section. It's clearly a sideline for them, but in the summer I've gotten some spectacular tomatos, peaches, beans, corn & berries there. 1138 Van Houten Ave.

Last summer I discovered that our state has a whole network of little greenmarkets. Unfortunately it was too late in the season for me to be able sample any of them beyond the one in my town (Rutherford). We had only two farmers, but the quality was pretty high; they had the best lettuce & carrots, among other things, that I found anywhere all year.

Below are links to two websites that I found useful in tracking down all the greenmarkets I never got to last year:

Chef2Chef listing

NJ Council of Farmers & Communities

As you can gather, I'm definitely a greenmarket person. This time of year my produce comes from Stop&Shop in Lyndhurst and Whole Foods in Montclair. Whole Foods can be pricey, as I'm sure you all know, but on the other hand they sell my favorite mineral water (Gerolsteiner) for about half the price of any other store in the region, so things even out to some degree.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

If you want to brave Elizabeth, there's a Shoprite on West Grand, well to the west of downtown, that sells the Goya frozen product. West Grand is what South Avenue becomes as you go east from Westfield thru Garwood & Cranford & Roselle.. tel # is 908 558 9126

It may also be available at the Shoprite in Garwood - that one is on North Avenue, just east of the Westfield border. - the tel # 908 654 0803

Some wonderful produce to be found, both regular and organic, at Old Hook Farm on Old Hook Road in Emerson. The remains of a 150-year old farm, the rustic store has beautiful produce. During the growing season they also grow a lot of their organic produce themselves. A real find in overdeveloped New Jersey.

Old Hook Farm

650 Old Hook Rd

Emerson, NJ 07630-1328 Phone: (201) 265-4835

Edited by menton1 (log)

My favorite produce store is the vegie and fruit store on Teaneck

rd. in the Walgreens strip mall in Teaneck. It is tucked into the corner. Good stuff and good prices. There also happens to be a Friehoffer bread outlet in that mall closer to the Blockbusters.

Edited by shugga (log)

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde