• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot food cold

jhlurie

I think that any tomato-based pasta sauce, whether it includes chopped meat or not, is better on the 2nd day, but it's best reheated, not cold.

Michael aka "Pan"

I love cold food. Pizza, all types of leftovers (cold pork loin...mmmmm)... I think my sister and I are the only people that feel this way; but we really enjoy cold Kraft macaroni and cheese. The noodles get all clumpy and weird and yummy.

Mmmmm.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Okay. But then your friends must not actually like the taste of the pizza that they eat cold because all of the flavours will be muted by the chill. So it necessarily does not "taste better". There's something else they like about it.

there's something else about it alright:  when we eat these "hot things cold", we tend to be either drunk or stoned.  and everyone knows everything tastes better when you're drunk or stoned.

cold fried chicken beats out cold pizza any day, regardless of your state of mind.

A couple of additions to Tommy's point. The cold pizza I've had had usually been left out all night after a binge of whatever substance. For me, it was the thankfullness of having something with some powers of absorbtion or nutrition in me belly. Had nothing to do with the taste or texture for me.

Pizza directly out of the fridge can be vastly improved in flavor by just letting it get up to room tempature.

Sometimes I actually prefer it this way to piping hot pizza.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Okay here's two more:

Lefover cold chinese takeout lo mein .. and

Leftover Chinese takeout Fried Rice that has been put back into the refrigerator after eating dinner, and allowed to cool for a few hours...

Both of these should be eaten ravenously late at night when the wife is asleep.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I think my sister and I are the only people that feel this way; but we really enjoy cold Kraft macaroni and cheese.  The noodles get all clumpy and weird and yummy. 

Mmmmm.

Oh I've eaten that. And with my fingers to boot.

I think my sister and I are the only people that feel this way; but we really enjoy cold Kraft macaroni and cheese.  The noodles get all clumpy and weird and yummy. 

Mmmmm.

Oh I've eaten that. And with my fingers to boot.

Woo-hoo!

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Steak.  Hot, warm, cool, cold.  Steak.

Yes.

And the bones from prime rib with much crunchy salt and black pepper.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Here's one I haven't seen:

Cold stuffing (AKA dressing). I've only tried this with my mom's recipe, which means cornbread and sausage. It's of course delicious fresh, and decent reheated, but there's a certain point after Thanksgiving where I just start diving into the fridge with spoon in hand.

Steak.  Hot, warm, cool, cold.  Steak.

Yes.

And the bones from prime rib with much crunchy salt and black pepper.

Prime Rib cold? Maybe, if its rare.

A thinner cut of meat... I dunno. I need most steak at least room temp. I think the thicker--and rarer--it is the more likely I'll enjoy it cold.

Still thinking about the whole cold fried chicken thing we started out with. Makes me want some.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Cold stuffing (AKA dressing). I've only tried this with my mom's recipe, which means cornbread and sausage. It's of course delicious fresh, and decent reheated, but there's a certain point after Thanksgiving where I just start diving into the fridge with spoon in hand.

Yes. Good stuff.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Good finger food. Yum.