• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pinot Noir & Viognier

Mary

I'm a bit of a neophyte here. I have been doing a lot of wine tasting (yea for me), and have come to find that Pinot Noir and Viognier are my favorite grapes. Don't cringe here - I have joined a handful of wine clubs for Napa wineries and of course don't get these varietals from them.

I would love suggestions on good producers for these lovely grapes. Please bear in mind, I don't have an enormous budget for this stuff, which I know is tricky when buying Pinot Noir... Thanks in advance!

Mary

Pinot Noir - Domestic nods go to Evesham Wood and St. Innocent (both Oregon). Burgundy nod goes to Montille's Volnay wines (to keep in your price range).

Viognier - I haven't found anything domestic that does it for me. From Condrieu, I like Villard's wines.

I'm sure you'll get a lengthy list from all the people who will respond.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I find it difficult to give recommendations for these two grapes.

On the lower end some people have recommended RH Phillips & Zaca Mesa for Viognier.

Meridian for Pinot Noir

None of these are favorites of mine. What I would recommend, if practical is to go to a wine bar...fun, and you don't need to buy a bottle. After much gulping, you will find some you like. If you live in NY, email me and I can give you tons of wine bars to go to

Ed

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

There is a huge caveat for wine clubs.

...there is a general instruction given to all pourers to sell wine clubs. There is a ton of money in wineries to expand their wine clubs. Heck, last year interviewed with a VERY large, corporate winery for a job that would involve me making cold calls 80% of the time, just to sell wine clubs! (Okay, it was STERLING!)

When I pour on weekends, I advise guests that before they join any wine club (from any particular winery), make sure they actually LIKE more than 75% of a winery's offerings.

When I first started getting into wine, I joined a bunch of wine clubs. I quickly found out what a huge mistake it was. I might have liked a winery's merlot or cabernet, but then the months' offerings would arrive and I'd get crap. A lot of wineries send out in their club's offerings stuff they can't sell in the tasting rooms. The winery I work for works a bit the opposit: we actually offer the BETTER wines to the club members first, before it hits the tasting room.

Lastly, you didn't indicate where you live. There are a number of Pinot-only tasting that occur throughout the state in California. I am like you and appreciate a number of them including Patz & Hall, Schug, Loring, Gundlach Bundschu, and Robert Sinskey.

I'm a bit of a neophyte here. I have been doing a lot of wine tasting (yea for me), and have come to find that Pinot Noir and Viognier are my favorite grapes. Don't cringe here - I have joined a handful of wine clubs for Napa wineries and of course don't get these varietals from them.

I would love suggestions on good producers for these lovely grapes. Please bear in mind, I don't have an enormous budget for this stuff, which I know is tricky when buying Pinot Noir... Thanks in advance!

Mary

Mary,

The Lindemen's Bin 99, Pinot Noir that dlc mentions is in most major markets and should always be less than $10.

Can you give me an idea of where you live; some things are easier/harder to find depending on your market?

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

We dined at Mistral in Seattle in December, and were served pinot noir (2001 Santa Lucia Highlands) by Arcadian, a small winery near Monterey. My complaint with most American pinots, especially the Oregon pinots, is that the fruit is just overpowering. Arcadian's pinot is more balanced, and I liked it enough to have ordered a case shipped to me.

Arcadian Winery

For California Pinot Noir, I am partial to Saintsbury (Carneros).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Speaking of Saintsbury, did you ever visit the Carneros Alambic Distillery down the road from them? The place is closed now, but while they were going they made some incredible brandy. I was really sorry to see them fail. They made a great product but didn't promote it. I wonder if there any left anywhere. I mention it because I found the place on a visit to Saintsbury. It was late in the afternoon and we were the only visitors to Saintsbury. The guy poured us samples of the brandy and said you really ought to go over there. Thus began a long love affair with their product. They were owned by Remy Martin, and I had thought this would give them staying power. Oh well.

Edited by Wilson (log)

I was lucky to just receive some Condrieu "Coteau de Vernon" , Domaine Georges Vernay 2002. This wine is, in a word, stunning. Elegance and finesse are the main characteristics. The floral bouquet is beautiful, the oaking is very slight. Not cheap, but a great example of great viognier.

Mark