• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Digestifs

Priscilla

Had a nice drink last evening, late, an after-dinner drink, a, dareIsay, digestif.

Called Satan's Whiskers, (which is either a slightly naughty or full-on stoopit name, haven't yet decided), I found the recipe on the invaluable Cocktail site featuring recipes and lore from Paul Harrington and Laura Moorhead, and the Consort shook it up as per usual.

Despite my reservations regarding its name it was a very very good drink, an alchemic greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts like all good cocktails. Almost uncompromisingly bitter, with complex, ongoingly-unfolding flavors.

(The Cocktail website was much earlier introduced to eGullet right here, and I am forever indebted. It's a tremendous resource.)

In our house a hit of Cognac or Calvados is much more usual than a cocktail at digestif time, but I am imbued with new resolve to explore this category.

Any other digestifing going on out there?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I am a big fan of the Brancas - Fernet Branca and Brancameta.

Served over ice or sometimes with a splash of soda, they always make my tummy feel better, especially after excess. The Brancamenta is also good with a shot of brandy- served up in a pony glass I feel very much like I'm having cocktails in Left Bank Paris with Tyrone Power in "The Sun also Rises." :smile:

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

After Dinner drinks from a website I think is kinda cool.

Elsewise, here's a start:

brandy drinks (scroll down and you will see 206 choices)

drinks using port (again scroll down for 26 choices)

drinks using sherry (scroll, scroll to see 37 choices)

coffee drinks (111 choices! YUM)

edit to add: 7 Fernet Branca choices.

You'll find it all -- classics, new and the funny named. :cool:

Edited by beans (log)

In our house, it's usually a hit of single malt scotch, though if it's around we'll go for grappa or eau-de-vie. My favorite is probably unadulterated Grand Marnier, though a new liqueur has come out called Douce de Provence which is like a pear flavored Grand Marnier.

Of course, the best digestif ever was the bottle of 150 Anniversary Grand Marnier I happened to pick up in Italy for all of $25 and nearly drank the whole bottle before I realized how valuable it was!

• 2 years later...

Hey all.

Just wanted to also give big props to Fernet Branca's stomach-curing properties. My wife's got a delicate digestion sometimes and a shot of Fernet and a ginger ale back does just the trick. It's also quite good in coffee.

An acquired taste for sure, but one we've found worth acquiring.

Pirate a.k.a Nick Baban // Amateur mixologist, aspiring bartender, poker player

Success to the lover, honor to the brave, health to the sick, and freedom to the slave.

Oh, Did I Knock That Over?