• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Countertop Rotisseries

Scott -- DFW

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

How does a rotisserie chicken differ from a nicely roasted bird? What am I improving if I get this thing?

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

In my understanding, oven "roasting" is really just baking - where hot air conveys heat to the food.  A rotisserie cooks solely through infrared - a true rotisserie or roast should be open to the air so the food is not heated at all by convection, but only from the heat source.  Theoretically, the sinusoidal application of heat and room temperature as it spins towards and away from the heat source makes for very tasty birds.

Also, the allegedly baste themselves.  When I lived in San Jose, with a backyard, Weber and a beautiful Char-Broil wood-fired grill, that had a rotisserie.  Anything you made on that, with real charcoal and/or wood. was pretty damn delicious. 

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 hours ago, gfweb said:

How does a rotisserie chicken differ from a nicely roasted bird? What am I improving if I get this thing?

Depends. If you need your oven for something else a countertop rotisserie is a godsend.  I have one which I would love to promote on this thread but it is in my basement and at the moment out of my reach.  It was given to me by my daughter who didn’t have room for it. If I had counter room for it it would get a lot more use than it does.  Roasting a chicken usually involves also cleaning an oven. Rotisserie roasting in a countertop closed system means just a wipe down of the inside of a small appliance.  Once I am over my current physical limitations I will share a photograph of mine with everyone. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I finally made it into the basement to grab a photograph of my countertop rotisserie. 

C5FFC676-C7AA-4B96-BA64-13530536A105.thumb.jpeg.49f1e98f36d7f202d0ed24140849db26.jpeg

It is a Franklin Chef brand.  The bulldog clip is holding the instructions together and I keep them inside the rotisserie when it is not in use. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

I finally made it into the basement to grab a photograph of my countertop rotisserie. 

C5FFC676-C7AA-4B96-BA64-13530536A105.thumb.jpeg.49f1e98f36d7f202d0ed24140849db26.jpeg

It is a Franklin Chef brand.  The bulldog clip is holding the instructions together and I keep them inside the rotisserie when it is not in use. 

How I wish I had a basement.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I think i'm going to list mine on ebay. I doubt I will ever use them again.  Just gathering dust.  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This thread has got me thinking about the one my GF's mother has, and never uses. It's probably mine for the asking. (sigh) Like I need another kitchen gadget to find storage space for...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, andiesenji said:

I think i'm going to list mine on ebay. I doubt I will ever use them again.  Just gathering dust.  

If you do, I hope you have a last frenzy of roasting!  Also, give a head's up here.  How does the Black Angus model function as a salamander?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boilsover said:

If you do, I hope you have a last frenzy of roasting!  Also, give a head's up here.  How does the Black Angus model function as a salamander?

It works fairly well as a top grill.  It's not as fast or as hot as a salamander.  I had one on my Garland range at the same time I had this but this had better control for grilling steaks when we wanted them actually cooked more than just seared on the surface.  None of us liked rare, rare steaks or chops.  It does gratins nicely.  

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett