• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

marijuana food

dankphishin

• 1 month later...

I don't really care for marijuana(which is ironic since one of the places I stay is just filled with it), but the few times I have smoked a blunt, I craved cereal. In fact, after I crashed from most of my cocaine/ecstacy binges, I craved cereal too. Lots of it. My favorite blend would be something like cocoa/fruity Pebbles mixed with rice Chex and either bran flakes or a Kashi cereal. Add some vanilla soy or almond milk and I could eat sometimes 3 huge bowls of it in one sitting before going to sleep for the next 15 hours. Good times... :wacko:

Also while in college -- very late one night during my junior year -- I found my roommate's girlfriend in our kitchen eating a stick of butter while standing naked in front of the open refrigerator.  I was speechless. 

Because she was naked or because she was eating a stick of butter? :hmmm:

Maybe it was the way she ate the stick of butter. Just sayin'.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

MSG on everything. Or plain, by the spoonful. Not that great on ice cream though...

I posted about this in the 3 am food thread, but a few weeks ago I made deep fried pizza. The batter was made from fettucini alfredo with shrimp, pancake batter, milk, and mashed potatoes. It was then wrapped with ham and nori, and dipped in barbecue sauce. The thought makes me want to vomit now, but at the time it was amazing.

• 6 months later...
I don't really care for marijuana(which is ironic since one of the places I stay is just filled with it), but the few times I have smoked a blunt, I craved cereal. In fact, after I crashed from most of my cocaine/ecstacy binges, I craved cereal too. Lots of it.  My favorite blend would be something like cocoa/fruity Pebbles mixed with rice Chex and either bran flakes or a Kashi cereal. Add some vanilla soy or almond milk and I could eat sometimes 3 huge bowls of it in one sitting before going to sleep for the next 15 hours. Good times...  :wacko:

I've got no idea how I ended up on this topic, but since I'm here...

I'm agreeing with this: cereal before bedtime is the shit. Even more so with a chopped banana and a drizzle of maple syrup. And maybe a raisin or two. All of which reminds me of Eric Stoltz not wanting to answer the phone while he's eating his cereal in Pulp Fiction....

Surinamese food. Brilliant. Try it in the Netherlands.

And this is also completely true. Broodje pom, moksi meti, tjauw min...an excellent prelude to your bowl(s) of cereal...

Edited by markemorse (log)

Do what now? Medicinal purposes you say?

Very carefully, take some egg roll wrappers, put ANYTHING in it and roll them up. and deep fry until GB and delicious. Might be cheese and broccoli, might be sausage, peppers, onions and mozarella, might be anything. Try to not use a fake accent while consuming. Enjoy. Repeat. :cool:

Ooohh...this thread...

I got another one. I'm not going to get into particulars here, where, why, how, but I gotta say a peanut butter and Cheez Doodle sandwich is AMAZING. The textures! Like eating a cheeze flavored air and peanut butter sandwich, soft bread, creamy rich peanut butter, puffy cheez core.

Ooohh...this thread...

I got another one.  I'm not going to get into particulars here, where, why, how, but I gotta say a peanut butter and Cheez Doodle sandwich is AMAZING. The textures!  Like eating a cheeze flavored air and peanut butter sandwich, soft bread, creamy rich peanut butter, puffy cheez core.

Good one. I've had another unlikely peanut butter sandwich here that works some similar alchemy under what I imagine are similar circumstances: peanut butter + Indonesian sambal + cucumbers. It's so unusual and so sensible at the same time (as homemade as this sounds, it was actually served to me in a cafe)...though it lacks the trashy Doodle vibe.

When I'd smoke I'd usually have a craving for finger food like chips or cereal. Stuff like peanut butter, salad dressings, hot sauces is good too (eaten by themselves). Of course if you get REALLY high then it's somewhat disconcerting hearing the crunching noise all the time. And to counter the dry mouth sensation, lots of orange juice. Of course, sometimes my buddy would bring over some really crazy weed and hash oil, and then we'd get so high (and lazy) we couldn't even get off the couch to get munchies.

Those days are over though, my smoking buddy, also one of my best friends, died a few years ago (freak accident related to a medical condition he'd had since childhood), and I really don't enjoy smoking nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...
First, if smoking it--or the idea of smoking it--bothers you, remember that something like 95% of the carcinogenic compounds in the smoke are water-soluble.  Just run the smoke through a water bath (hookah, nargilh, or your favorite bong) and you're golden.

Though widely believed, this is in fact completely untrue. Scientific studies of water filtration show that it has either no effect or a counterproductive effect on the ratio of cannabinoid to total tar in cannabis smoke. See, for instance, Gieringer 1996. The only devices that has been shown to reduce the amount of carcinogens in cannabis smoke are vaporizers, the best of which produce a vapor that is +90% cannabinoids and essentially devoid of carcinogens (see Gieringer 2001 and 2004).

Gieringer, 1996. Marijuana Water Pipe and Vaporizer Study. Newsletter of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies 6(3).

"Contrary to popular impression, waterpipes don't necessarily protect smokers from harmful tars in marijuana smoke, according to a new study sponsored by MAPS and California NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws). The reason is that waterpipes filter out more psychoactive THC than they do other tars, thereby requiring users to smoke more to reach their desired effect. The study does not rule out the possibility that waterpipes could have other benefits, such as filtering out gases, but it suggests that other methods, such as the use of high potency marijuana, vaporizers, or oral ingestion are needed to avoid harmful toxins in marijuana smoke."

Gieringer, 2001. Cannabis Vaporization: A Promising Strategy for Smoke Harm Reduction. Journal of Cannabis Therapeutics 1(3-4), 153-70.

"The primary health hazard of medical cannabis is respiratory damage from marijuana smoke. Aside from oral ingestion and other non-smoked delivery systems not yet commercially available, strategies for reducing the harm of smoking include: (1) use of higher potency cannabis and (2) smoking devices aimed at eliminating toxins from the smoke. Studies have found that waterpipes and solid filters are ineffectual at improving the THC/tar ratio in cannabis smoke. The most promising alternative appears to be "vaporization," in which cannabis is heated to a point where cannabinoids are emitted without combustion. A feasibility study by NORML and MAPS has demonstrated that an electric vaporizer can successfully generate THC at 185°C while completely suppressing benzene, toluene, and naphthalene formation. Further studies are needed to evaluate how effectively vaporizers suppress other toxins, and how their performance varies using different samples, temperatures, and device designs."

Gieringer et al, 2004. Cannabis Vaporizer Combines Efficient Delivery of THC with Effective Suppression of Pyrolytic Compounds. In: Journal of Cannabis Therapeutics. Russo, ed. 4, 7-27.

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since we've made brownies, and I've forgotten how much weed $100-$150 used to buy. Was it an ounce? Less? More? Whatever....that's the amount we used to add (cleaned of stems and seeds) to a box of Duncan Heinz brownie mix.

After baking, we'd divide the cooled batch into sixteen squares, cut each square into four mini-squares, wrap each mini separately in plastic wrap, and freeze. Yield: Sixty-four minis.

One could eat a mini straight from the freezer without waiting for it to thaw — so convenient — and an hour later it was "Aloha, Nanee Wanee!" One little square was the perfect amount.

The brownies were slightly gritty, and did taste of the mystery ingredient. Not that it mattered, as they were barely a bite's worth.

My favorite munchies were anything within reach. I did go through a homemade bread phase, and while hot bread and butter is staggeringly delicious, it takes some planning. One night I didn't plan, and the only items in the cupboard were a can of water chestnuts and a bottle of blackstrap molasses. "Mmmm!" I remember thinking. "The molasses really makes this dish." My next thought was: "And this kitchen is like the inside of a Kleenex box!"

Ha! Know what I mean? HEY! Isn't this kitchen like the inside of a Kleenex box???

A question I ask from time to time, hoping oh so much that it will trigger a memory in someone...

Does anybody remember a "pudding" product that was a big munchie favorite in the late 60's and early 70's?  It was sold in the supermarket in plastic tubs, and the traditional method of enjoying it was to pass the tub around with a spoon in it.  But then we all discovered that apparently something in saliva made it break down, and so with the repeated dipping of the communal spoon into it, at one point it went from hit-the-spot pudding to a strange mess.

Does anybody remember the name of this product?

Cool 'n' Creamy Pudding! That's the one we used to buy. You could buy it thawed or frozen, and I can remember digging into the half-frozen tub because it took too damned long to thaw.

Favorite flavor: Butterscotch!!!

Edited by BrooksNYC (log)

• 11 years later...

I tried frozen yogurt infused cannabis before and it really tastes good! i used this strain of MJ https://www.gyo.green/short-cannabis-strains.html everytime i cook marijuana edibles and now there's new and something interesting! On the other hand, Ingesting Cannabis has a side effect that can lead you addiction because of its high dosage that you'll never know how much dosage that food has. By continually do researching, I came across in this an sticks and learning that there are many kinds of cannabis.

• Like 1