• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

marijuana food

dankphishin

There's a great little cookbook I picked up at the local library called The Marijuana Chef by S.T. Oner. (I am not making this up, I swear.) They do suggest making a limited amount of food with and making a buttload of food without marijuana and having it ready to go when the munchies set in. It is an interesting book geared toward those using it for medicinal purposes. For someone sick with little appetite, it is a great help from what I understand. The book has some great information.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

When I was in high school (International School of Bangkok) mid-70's lunch was a food service hamburger made better with a crumbled thai stick. Munchies were best handled by a bowl of noodles (baa mi) just after we left school, followed by the hunt for kanom krok (sp?). Those were the days....

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The high induced by eating pot is mostly psychosomatic. It doesn't have a very good taste or texture, which makes eating a large quantity unpleasant, and the leisurely pace at which the desired compounds leach into the system via the stomach and intestine render the psychedelic effect negligible at best.

I've observed some downright stupor-inducing brownies that clearly has vegetable matter included therein. And damn, were the stupors I observed profound, at least judging by those I observed experiencing them. :cool: Time appeared to have neary stopped as far as those observed were concerned. :cool:

I've also observed that some folk don't get the munchies... claim that everything tastes like cardboard and eating just isn't worth it.

Not that I'd know any of this first hand. :wink:

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

There's a great little cookbook I picked up at the local library called The Marijuana Chef by S.T. Oner.

Another book published in the seventies was the "Hashish Cookbook" by "Panama Rose." It had a delicious and thrifty recipe for the Moroccan majoun. Butter, kif stems and seeds were all simmered in a pot of water then chilled overnight. The butter was mixed with spices and dried fruits and turned into a paste. All you needed was 1 tablespoon to feel the effect.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Ah me, I've got to tell you about Cosmic Spaghetti. You have a lot of empty-pockets college kids. You throw down all your money. You have enough to get 4 or 5 gallons of wine. You also have enough to get the fixin's for a humongous-ass pot of spaghetti. And you got a convenient non-student dealer who never ups his share of nothing, and he has first-class thai sticks. Go get all the ingredients, start passing wine around, and pinch a goodly quantity of that t.s. to make up your sauce. You can wilt it down in oil, or just use like a seasoning, but you will not ever forget that spaghetti. I can verify you'll end up with a very untypically peaceful assembly for collegiates, because it'll knock their mind off it's pedistal.

Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas?Are you all just figments of my imagination? Gertrude Stein made a comment once that she always kept some live lobsters in her bathtub in Paris so they would be fresh at hand "And besides, it kept Ernest (Hemingway) from passing out in their bathtub." You gotta love that.

deep breath - here we go: I've never tried it! there, at last its out - my big confession - I'll probably get kicked off egullet now adminting to such a shameful past. oh but i feel so much better now that its out there in the open. please don't hate me..... [head held low]

next time you reach the bottom of your bag (seeds, stems, schwag) make a batch of green chile pumpkin bread...saute remnants in butter, put through sieve and bake into mini muffins. Great way to gauge your intake without over doing it. We had a pumpkin carving party and served these...you can only imagine.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

There's a great little cookbook I picked up at the local library called The Marijuana Chef by S.T. Oner.

Another book published in the seventies was the "Hashish Cookbook" by "Panama Rose." It had a delicious and thrifty recipe for the Moroccan majoun. Butter, kif stems and seeds were all simmered in a pot of water then chilled overnight. The butter was mixed with spices and dried fruits and turned into a paste. All you needed was 1 tablespoon to feel the effect.

Honey, dope, and spices were the major ingredients of the madjoon recipe I, er, saw in a Moroccan (?) cookbook. Actually, the cookbook was a gift from me to someone else, so I don't have it to reference.

It was cooked until pasty, then set up solid when cooled, so it could be broken into pieces.

The recipe was tested. :cool:

Edited by Katherine (log)

next time you reach the bottom of your bag (seeds, stems, schwag) make a batch of green chile pumpkin bread...saute remnants in butter, put through sieve and bake into mini muffins. Great way to gauge your intake without over doing it. We had a pumpkin carving party and served these...you can only imagine.

Somewhere in my attic stacks I have a book on marijuana beer-making. ("The one beer to have when you're having only one.") On the theory that THC is alcohol-soluble, but nasty-tasting impurities are water-soluble, it gives a process that involves soaking the marijuana in multiple changes of water until the soaking water becomes clear, redrying, and steeping then in homebrew ready to be bottled. After whatever period of time, the brew is filtered, bottled, primed, and capped.

If this is correct, the better plan of action for bottom-of-the-bag detritus would be to soak it in water, dry, and make an alcoholic tincture.

For medicinal use only, of course.

Ah, but, Hell, different cultures have looked upon vegetal, herbal, or even animal(sucking them ugly little toads and I don't even want to talk about them here) "aids" in making them transcend a different plane---that's the point, no?-as a legitimate aid for seeking a greater wisdom, as opposed to a high, is an honorable and ancient tradition-and I speak as a person who has a "government " permit to gather the peyot as well as the psilosybin as a religious right.

All this makes me sound like Jerry Garcia's Channel. No such luck. I did the spaghetti I referred to in 1968. I do nothing stronger than tea on a day to day basis now. But I deny no one their right to experience a mind expanding experience. It is not my place, any more than it is the government's. We can easily confuse recreational with educational because the government is so screwed up on these same questions.

The chief virtue of marijuana regarding food, from what I remember of my heavy consumption days and what I observe of my son and his pals now, is that it makes just about anything palatable.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

i think the conversation/argument went on for what seemed like 4 hours, with me trying to figure out how a cheese sandwich could squirt water into your mouth when you bite it, and with him not explaining what he meant all that well.

Man, I feel stoned just reading this sentence! :smile: It conveys perfectly those passionate discussions about nothing that wasted away my parents' hard-earned tuition money.

I agree with the dangers of brownies. Back in the day, new to Chicago, I attended a baby shower for a co-worker. These were all rosy, well-scrubbed pearl-necklace-wearing midwestern girls. I seem to remember a salad and a fondue, with a pan of brownies for dessert, donated by the store designer -- we all worked for Crate and Barrel at the original store.

It took me waaaay too much time to figure out why we were all rolling around on the floor, giggling helplessly when the mom-to-be's in-laws showed up at the door. All she could think of to say to her father-in-law was "Dad, want a brownie?"

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

For me it was wet, greasy food.

Cheeseburgers, but no bun. Pizza, but not the crust. Pasta swimming in sauce. Guacamole without the chips. Chocolate fondu (made in the dorm microwave). Korean noodle soup my roommate's mother made.

ahhhh, the good old days.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Man, I feel stoned just reading this sentence! :smile:  It conveys perfectly those passionate discussions about nothing that wasted away my parents' hard-earned tuition money.

i actually have a few audio tapes of some sessions. complete and utter nonsense.

So what exactly has changed?

:raz:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

i wonder if Marijuanna makes a good substitute for Oregano

I dunno if it is a subsititute for it, but it is a good flavor to add...just in moderation...

be sure to use plenty of fat...THC bonds to the fat molecules...

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

For a totally different approach, I have heard of someone who saves his stems/seeds/dust to add smoke flavor to grilled fish. I have heard that for best results, the flavoring agent is put into a foil pouch with a single small hole punched into it. Put the pouch on top of hot coals, and grill the fish offset, with grill cover in place. I think the result is called doobie fish. A good oily fish absorbs the smoke flavor best.

Jim

i wonder if Marijuanna makes a good substitute for Oregano

Unfortunately not. Visual similarities aside, it works more like rosemary on a gustatory level.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

The high induced by eating pot is mostly psychosomatic. It doesn't have a very good taste or texture, which makes eating a large quantity unpleasant, and the leisurely pace at which the desired compounds leach into the system via the stomach and intestine render the psychedelic effect negligible at best.

Really not true - Tommy pointed out correctly that it's all about the quantity. Yet another eGulleteer here with a not-so-shameful past. The brownies really, really work. I do recall trying to eat some in a PB&J sandwich once but the quantity was inadequate and the texture unpleasant. We were on our way to Buffalo to see Pink Floyd performing during the Dark Side of The Moon tour - the music made up for it. Then there was the Canadian guy in the row in front of us who had decided on impulse to eat all his downers when he thought the bus might get searched at the border. Screaming "Money.... play Money...." throughout the entire first set. Thank God they finally played money.

Really not true - Tommy pointed out correctly that it's all about the quantity. Yet another eGulleteer here with a not-so-shameful past. The brownies really, really work. I do recall trying to eat some in a PB&J sandwich once but the quantity was inadequate and the texture unpleasant. We were on our way to Buffalo to see Pink Floyd performing during the Dark Side of The Moon tour - the music made up for it. Then there was the Canadian guy in the row in front of us who had decided on impulse to eat all his downers when he thought the bus might get searched at the border. Screaming "Money.... play Money...." throughout the entire first set. Thank God they finally played money.

I guess I should have added ".... unless consumed in such large quantities as to be not only an unpleasant eating experience, but arguably wasteful of the substance's mind altering effects, to say nothing of the damage done to foodstuffs which could be much more appreciated in their normal state after application of the smoke."

For efficient delivery of the "benefits" of the marijuana plant: "Pot - Smoke It/Hash - Eat It" is a good rule of thumb.

of and nothing beats putting the weed in your food to begin with.  I know we e-gulleteers speak volumes about infused oils, but no one has mentioned this one.  Adding a little THC never hurts.

i've never eaten weed. :sad:

sounds like it would be right up my alley, though.

Very inefficient. Takes like 5 times as much to get a minimal buzz, and takes hours to get off. Only really an option to those with access to large amounts of potent, free weed, or better yet, hashish. :wacko:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

The high induced by eating pot is mostly psychosomatic.

Er, um, if you're talking about eating raw marijuana, you might be right, otherwise I think you're blowing smoke out your ass. So to speak. :laugh:

A friend of mine was given a pot cookie a few weeks ago. Unaware of the intensity of its ingredients, and accustomed to the donor being used to much milder "currency" than he himself is used to, he ate half of it. He found himself having to warn his housemates of his intoxication, and found television commercials to be the height of intellectual entertainment for hours. A little goes a lonnnnng way.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite books, which is Dick Cavett's eponymous autobiography. In it, he wrote about Janis Joplin visiting his show and giving him a joint "rolled by Montezuma himself." He smoked it with a friend, and they convulsed themselves "over the fact that carpets were rectangular and that the alphabet has only one 'N'."

From my long-ago party days, I was never one to get the munchies requiring massive ingestion of snack foods. And when coming down from a psychedelic, I always found miso soup with tofu and vegetables to be a nice bridge to the real world. This was never part of my usual diet, but I could only face truly nourishing, gentle fare in the transition.

Wow, the last time I saw something along that line, my buddy was carving a pumpkin with a sawz-all. I'll have to see if I can scare up that picture...

Disturbing.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.