• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

marijuana food

dankphishin

dunno if this topic is appropriate..........but

my hardcore craving is always....sushi when i lived in montreal any kind of shit would get me fired up....as always, i love uni. down here, it's salad. id prolly eat like a head of lettuce, cause of ,y vitamin deficiency. in mtl it was.....cause i smoked a ton of good ass weed there

sushi

my jamaican homie (locked up) winstons moms jamaican "patties"

this cantonese noodle place

amir (shawarma.shishtaouk place) get stoned and eat some shawarna and not love it i guarantee you will

hit up jounieh this place in mtl that has the bomb ass mulukhiyah and every thing else egyptian

aside from that, if youre stoned, find a place that sells good hoagies. aside from that, if you're youre stoned, youll eat anything. love you all

"yes i'm all lit up again"

i wonder if Marijuanna makes a good substitute for Oregano

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

I recall most marijuana smokers being virtually omnivorous. That the food fell readily to hand would have been the primary consideration.

Extreme flavors and appeal to other senses would enhance the eating experience. Ice cream cones were always fun, and pizza was good except you had to remember to order it. Listening to crunchy snack food like pretzels and chips could be a real rush, and the visual appeal of an unwrapped two pound block of Velveeta cheese would throw the party into an extended fit of laughter.

Even just watching a person eat plain Wonderbread out of the bag could be an entertaining experience, especially if it were accompanied by a Jimi Hendrix album playing very load on the stereo!

In other words, satisfying the hunger(s) of pot smokers didn't take much special preparation.

Now on the other hand, food that you could eat while under the influence of psychedelic drugs; there's a matter that required great care, if not deliberation.

SB (at least, um, that's what I've been told.)

I can concur on the sushi. But the 'omnivorousness' and 'voraciousness' are the main things. I remember my first successful loaves of homemade French bread. They took a long time to proof in a cold kitchen, so my roommates and I were good and 'toasty' by the time they exited the oven.

As soon as it was cool enough to handle, it disappeared in under 10 min., accompanied by much slathering of butter, honey, and homemade strawberry-rhubarb jam.

*snarf* *gulp* *munch* *SWALLOW*

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Now on the other hand, food that you could eat while under the influence of psychedelic drugs; there's a matter that required great care, if not deliberation.

The key is to wait until you're again capable of important tasks, like reading the little numbers on your folding money and looking at clerks and waiters without giggling hysterically or, worse, having them morph into talking zombies or thought police. Then, go for the basics. A friend once told of walking into an Upper East Side gourmet deli and being transported by the almost overwhelming smell of olive oil, fresh bread and good cheese, all of which he bought bought and washed down with a bottle of hearty red wine. Fresh fruit, cold ice cream, simple foods that reach as many senses as possible besides taste and smell. After a long visit to the Outer Limits, the body needs something simple, wholesome and restorative.

So I've been told.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Now that i am no longer so horribly addicted to the gooey green stuff i have noticed a lot of things about the properties of munchie food (at least mine and my friends'):

1) it must be bland. All that smoke inhalation infuriates your mouth and throat so much that spicy food takes a much greater toll

2) it must be plentiful. there is no greater buzzkill than running outta guacamole half way through Half-Baked

3) for sweets, there is alimit to how rich and how sweet it can be. Maybe this one is specific to me, but too much sugar whilst very high causes my pancreas much distress.

of and nothing beats putting the weed in your food to begin with. I know we e-gulleteers speak volumes about infused oils, but no one has mentioned this one. Adding a little THC never hurts.

oh, and tommy, you were broke becuase you were smoking so much pot

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

actually, speaking of infusions, i recently sampled grain alcohol which had been infused with a half ounce of high grade weed for about two years, and a bunch of kief. the stuff had turned green, and the weed was like yellowish white. tasted really strange, though not that bad.

"yes i'm all lit up again"

fish and chips. the chips had to be really , really limp and greasy and covered in salt and malt vinegar.

Chips.

Chips.

C-H-I-P-S.

The word has lost all meaning....

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

To strains of As Time Goes By in the background...

[Voiceover of Captain Louis Renault, Prefect of Casablanca Police Dept.]

"I'm shocked - shocked - to find pot smoking amongst eGulleteers is going on in here!"

[/Voiceover of Captain Louis Renault, Prefect of Casablanca Police Dept.]

[Katie's voice]

"eGullet, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

[/Katie's voice]

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

[i've never eaten weed. :sad:

sounds like it would be right up my alley, though.

The high induced by eating pot is mostly psychosomatic. It doesn't have a very good taste or texture, which makes eating a large quantity unpleasant, and the leisurely pace at which the desired compounds leach into the system via the stomach and intestine render the psychedelic effect negligible at best.

For gastronomic consumption hashish is a much better choice. In powdered form it's easily added to baked goods. You might even contend that the flavor goes well with chocolate; hence the popularity of hash brownies.

The slow absorbtion rate previously mentioned actually enhances the experience since hashish is a heavier, more contemplative kind of high if compared to marijuana's more giddy type of high.

SB (or so I've been told)

[i've never eaten weed.  :sad:

The high induced by eating pot is mostly psychosomatic. It doesn't have a very good taste or texture, which makes eating a large quantity unpleasant, and the leisurely pace at which the desired compounds leach into the system via the stomach and intestine render the psychedelic effect negligible at best.

For gastronomic consumption hashish is a much better choice. In powdered form it's easily added to baked goods. You might even contend that the flavor goes well with chocolate; hence the popularity of hash brownies.

The slow absorbtion rate previously mentioned actually enhances the experience since hashish is a heavier, more contemplative kind of high if compared to marijuana's more giddy type of high.

You have to create puna-butter first (pre-cook the mary jane in butter) for its psychoactive properties to be accessible when eaten. Once you have puna-butter you can use it like regular butter in most recipes with great success....or so I read in High Times 20-something years ago... :hmmm::cool:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

[i've never eaten weed.  :sad:

You was told wrong.

The effect is definitely proportional to the dose.

As far as eating it directly, nobody does that, because you can put it in brownies.

But the brownies, which mask the flavor quite effectively, should not be too irresistible, otherwise certain hearty eaters will consume too high a dose and be unable to walk afterwards.

Nevertheless, a campsite full of very happy campers.

Edited by Katherine (log)

The key is to wait until you're again capable of important tasks, like reading the little numbers on your folding money and looking at clerks and waiters without giggling hysterically or, worse, having them morph into talking zombies or thought police.

Right you are!

I can recall one particular instance. My friends Burke, QO and I, while in the process of succoming to the influence of psilocybin mushrooms, stopped by an opened all night supermarket to stock up on smokes for the impending journey.

Once inside the store, which was fortunately nearly devoid of customers, the bright lights and shopping music combined to inspire us with nearly boundless mirth.

We strolled down the aisles laughing uproariously at the assembled bounty of our Country's farms and industry. At the end of the aisle, where the store personnel could see us, we momentarily assumed the demeanor of ordinary shoppers before disappearing into the safety of the next avenue of psychedelic adventure.

Completely shattering any aura of ordinary shopperness that even the most generous spectator might have accorded us, we approached the check out area with a two pound ingot of Velveeta cheese, four packs of cigarettes, and eyes that were all pupils. Luckily our friend Paul's wife was working that night, and she gratiously assisted us in completing our transaction and setting sent us on our merry way.

And so it's told.

SB (I ain't gonna kid you. This was really me)

If my memory serves me well (because this was, of course, in another lifetime, perhaps even the experiences of a person completely other than myself who told me about it), I can recall eating celery, of all things, after a smokefest of some sort, and absolutely loving it. It was the chewing. Oh, man, the chewing. For hours. :rolleyes:

As for eating the stuff: it most definitely works, perhaps a little too well. When you smoke it, the effects are immediate and you know when to stop (it doesn't mean you will stop, but you know you should). But when you eat it, it takes quite a while. Have a brownie. Man, these things aren't working. Have another brownie. And another. Uh-oh. Also, when you smoke it, the high goes away in a couple of hours or so. When you eat it, it's with you for eight f*&^ing hours, like the food you ate it with. Can be very unpleasant. And of course, there are no munchies if you get high this way. You sort of took care of the munchies first (how pragmatic!). :raz:

[boring story alert]

oh yes. i just remembered a very stoned conversation that my roommate and i had back in college. we were out of our minds, and got to talking about food. i suppose we didn't order Dominos (peppers and pepperoni) that night, as we had done pretty much every single night of sophomore year. but, he started talking about cheese sandwiches, waxing poetic actually (we were starving), and how they were "crispy and crunchy and squirt water into your mouth when you eat them." now, you see, he was talking about a cheese sandwich with iceburg lettuce. i don't eat lettuce on cheese sandwiches, so i had no idea what he was talking about. i think the conversation/argument went on for what seemed like 4 hours, with me trying to figure out how a cheese sandwich could squirt water into your mouth when you bite it, and with him not explaining what he meant all that well. iirc correctly, it wasn't until sometime junior year that we revisited that discussion, and he made it clear that he was talking about the lettuce on the cheese sandwich.

we still talk about it to this day. although the conversation makes a lot more sense now.

[/boring story alert]

Edited by tommy (log)

for me now, it's about novelty. i cannot *look* at one more pizza. :blink:

over xmas, they had a deal on shrimp rings. so i made a miso-mayo with lemon and sesame oil, added chopped coriander. *this* was good. :cool:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen