• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

marijuana food

dankphishin

of and nothing beats putting the weed in your food to begin with.  I know we e-gulleteers speak volumes about infused oils, but no one has mentioned this one.  Adding a little THC never hurts.

(just in case, I havn't finished reading this post past page 1)

The last time I had special brownies I ate 3 cans of pringles chips. They were so much fun to eat. Also, when this occured I was in a hotel room in Toronto across from city hall, where, if you're familiar with it, the center building looks like a blueberry pie (when you're high that is) :rolleyes:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

-Presiden Muffley, Dr. Strangelove

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. Tears from the hilarity of reading of the many adventures you egulleter's were kind enough to share, and tears of a different nature, for the gone-by days that may never return. I loved those days. Back in the mid to late '60's and early 70's. When I watch "It was 20 years ago today", i cannot help but cry.

My paranoid nature tells me "Don't put anything in writing, especially on the internet". But I'm old enough now, maybe much like the inhabitants of Roswell, NM, that I just don't give a crap anymore.

First, from a purely scientific perspective: Hashish and weed have Delta 6-tetrahydrocannibinol in them. It is with the addition of heat, that it turns into that rigthgeous delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol.

So, the whole point of eating raw hashish or raw weed (how do you swallow raw weed...yuck) is that you're wasting it, because of the relative greater psychotropic properties of delta 9 vs. delta 6.

My cousin, who was a spy in Iran for the Air Force before the overthrow of the Shah, used to send me back little gram-size packets of hashish hidden within audio cassettes. Only the ones with screws so you could undo them!

He told me once on a plane ride back, he met a girl with whom he shared a couple gram chunks of hashish and it took hours for it to come on.

Now delta 6 is not without psychotropic functionality. But, the delta 9, as I said before, is much more immediate and powerful in comparison.

Another fool that I once knew, Fred, once cooked up a bunch of righteous Columbian high land weed in some spaghetti sauce and had a couple of guys from India for dinner. He thought it a lark to feed them this stuff. They got really paranoid and thought they were having a heart attack and he had to drive them to the hospital emergency ward. They came down enough, with injections of diazepam (Valium), that he took them back to his house to finish the meal. They immediately started having the heart attack feelings again, and, yup, back to the emergency ward.

A room-mate of mine once thought it fun to lace my root beer bottle of pop in the refrigerator with diethylamide lysergic acid 25. I didn't appreciate it anymore than those guys from India did. One should never mess with the mind of another without their knowledge. There is some really bad uckin' Karma involved in doing that.

I used to have a pamphet/booklet type of publication which was called "The Synthesis and Extraction of Organic Psychedelics". It was put out by the Good Karma Trading Company. I loaned a friend this booklet during one of my really paranoid periods, and the fool lost it. I would give anything to have a copy of that again.

I performed the extraction of Heavenly Blue Morning Glory seeds (you could also use Flying Saucer Morning Glory seeds and I couldn't find any, but I thought the thought of "Flying Saucers" was just too far out to miss, but alas I couldn't find any and settled for the Heavenly Blue), and I am here to tell ya, that there really is an LSD type analogue in those seeds. The problem was finding seeds that had not been "treated" by poison to keep the rodents from eating the seeds. I, however, was successful in finding untreated seeds. An experience I will never forget.

So, where is this all leading? I don't know. I'm drinking Orange Juice screwdrivers because our society has become so politically anal that I darse not enjoy that condiment that I so much enjoyed so many years ago, due to the dreaded "drug test".

Yet here I am drinking one of the most addictive drugs ever, because our government thinks that THC is not good for me.

Do you realize that Mr. Diesel, who invented the Diesel engine, designed it to run on hemp-seed oil? When asked why, he was quoted "Well, hemp-seed oil is only the most abundant and cheap oil on the planet".

Because anyone could grow hemp and press the seeds which are somewhere about 96% oil by weight, there was no money in it!~!!!! So, the 1937 Harrison Tax Stamp act was passed to insure that nobody could deal or grow hemp. This led the way for the oil barons who were able to build oil derricks, which most 99.99% of the population could not afford, to maintain a virtual monopoly over the source of energy. Yet, rural America, which was not hooked up to the electrical grid, used hemp-seed oil to light their oil lamps. Because they couldn't get hemp-seed oil anymore, the next best thing to use was Whale oil This led to the virtual extincition of whales, as the demand for whale oil rose dramatically because of the illegality of hemp-seed oil. Great country we live in isn't it?!?

Yet, 10000 acres of hemp will produce 2000 times as much paper, and of finer quality, than 10000 acres of trees. And hey, next year, you can do it all over again. Cloth made from hemp is far more comfortable than cotton, and last forever. Oh, am I seeing an agenda here, planned obsolescence. You can't sell stuff that actually lasts, not in America, you need to sell stuff that wears out, so you can sell some more stuff. Oh wow!

So you see, we laugh and joke about the '60's, but there is a much more menacing and hidden agenda in this situation than most people are aware.

Sorry, I am so in need of some brownies, but so paranoid to indulge.

What a moral dilemma, and predictament to be in!

Anyway, the whole point was to point out why cooking with hemp works, because the addition of heat cause the delta 6 to morph into the delta 9.

doc

It's been a while but I remember that waffles, butter, maple syrup, and a tall glass of whole milk were the best combination of flavors and textures I have ever experienced in my entire life : 0)

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Hendrix is a given (not mention being a gift). My first munchies food experience and by far the most memorable: eating an entire box of Nilla Vanilla wafers.

During my high school years we would get stoned in the bushes most Friday nights, go to see indie films in the auditorium at Syracuse University and then make a late night stop at the legendary Abe's Donuts, where the Bavarian Creme's had just come out of the oven and been freshly filled. It doesn't get much better than that although I no longer need any exterior influences to enjoy the food.

hehe, i remember my late friend jason who was a carpet fitter. he was working in my house when i offered him some cake and a cup of tea, which he obliged. about 45 minutes later while laying the carpet he completely lost the will to work and was rolling around the floor cracking up. i played along with it for a while, but then had to tell him what i did. needless to say we ate more. thanks delia smith for the chocolate sponge cake recipe.

I cannot believe no one has made a good tomato gravy for pasta. The longer it simmers, the better it is.

Once, long ago in Mexico, our waiter at a very nice restaurant suggested some fish in wine. It cleaned our clock. Turned out there was mescaline in it. Talk about messed up, when we left, the trees were movin', even though there wasn't any wind. Everything moved.

• 2 weeks later...

last night I came across a good sack of doja and ended up demolishing a jar of homemade roasted tomato salsa with those "hint of lime" tortilla chips...bueno

But I agree, it is usually not what, but how much. I typically love sweets, but anything that is readily stuffed into my mouth will do.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Back in my techno loving days, I got my hands on some hash oil. It's a thick black sludge, not at all unlike engine oil. I thought brownies would be a good way to go. Nope. To this day my friends still give me grief over how foul those brownies were and the ensuing attempts to make them palatable. I had some ice cream on hand, so I threw the brownies in a blender and made shakes. After about 30 minutes of nose holding and plenty of gagging, the doses were finally consumed.

Definitely no munchies after that. Just mouth open comatose stares until morning.

• 3 months later...

ok ok one question...do you have to wash your weed bought from the dealer before adding it to your brownies?

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Not unless it fell in the dirt on the way home! :raz:

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

No! For goodness sakes don't wash it! But do destem it and then run it thru your spice grinder before making the brownies, for best results.

Not that I've ever done such a thing before, natch.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Do you realize that Mr. Diesel, who invented the Diesel engine, designed it to run on hemp-seed oil?  When asked why, he was quoted "Well, hemp-seed oil is only the most abundant and cheap oil on the planet".

Because anyone could grow hemp and press the seeds which are somewhere about 96% oil by weight, there was no money in it!~!!!!  So, the 1937 Harrison Tax Stamp act was passed to insure that nobody could deal or grow hemp.  This led the way for the oil barons who were able to build oil derricks, which most 99.99% of the population could not afford, to maintain a virtual monopoly over the source of energy.  Yet, rural America, which was not hooked up to the electrical grid, used hemp-seed oil to light their oil lamps.  Because they couldn't get hemp-seed oil anymore, the next best thing to use was Whale oil  This led to the virtual extincition of whales, as the demand for whale oil rose dramatically because of the illegality of hemp-seed oil.  Great country we live in isn't it?!?

Yet, 10000 acres of hemp will produce 2000 times as much paper, and of finer quality, than 10000 acres of trees.  And hey, next year, you can do it all over again.  Cloth made from hemp is far more comfortable than cotton, and last forever.  Oh, am I seeing an agenda here, planned obsolescence.  You can't sell stuff that actually lasts, not in America, you need to sell stuff that wears out, so you can sell some more stuff.  Oh wow!

Following this tangent a bit before chomping into the main topic (glad somebody else dug this up and posted so that it showed up in "Today's Active Topics"!):

One evening, my partner and I were hanging out at the bar at the Inn Philadelphia, a very good romantic restaurant and piano bar owned by a gay couple of our acquaintance (one half used to work at Penn, and we rode the 40 bus to work every day).

I was chatting with that same half-owner, who was complaining about erratic electric service on the charming, narrow little street where the restaurant is located.

"The problem is," he said, "the cables under the street are more than a century old. They are wrapped in hemp, and it's finally beginning to fray."

Now, moving from that testimony to the versatility and durability of hemp to the main subject:

Boy, does this bring back memories!

It also reminds me of something my partner's brother said when a Supreme Court nominee's candidacy was derailed by revelations of past marijuana use: "If they make that a deal-stopper, one-third of the country will never hold high office." (This was before Bill Clinton confessed that he "didn't inhale.")

Anyway: I spent many fine hours in college and afterward in that glorious state of stupor followed by extreme hunger as well--and also recall dropping tabs and taking trips during which the sound of a tractor-trailer downshifting for a stoplight sounded like a Bach fugue.

I too have whipped up a batch of brownies, using the famous Alice B. Toklas recipe (included in a mid-1980s reprint of The Alice B. Toklas Cookbook, with foreword by M.F.K. Fisher). What doc said about the effect of heat is spot on--you taste chocolate spiked with an herbal flavor (hadn't thought of this, but now that someone's brought it up, it is a little like rosemary), and then, not much later, it hits you.

At times like this, Cheetos, Doritos and those other snacks with sprayed-on cheese flavoring never tasted better. Pizza and chicken nuggets were also great beast-tamers.

I think that my experiences with the munchies must have left a residue in the form of an extreme love of cheese and dips that lasts to this day.

Right now, I don't indulge when friends offer me their shit, because I might get called for an interview at Vanguard, and they test...But once I'm permanently employed, I plan to celebrate in the appropriate fashion. And when that happens, I plan to have lots of chips, dip, cheese and crackers on hand. The Laughing Cow people had better ramp up production again. :smile:

I hope this happens before the first week in March. A good friend of mine plans to take me to Amsterdam and Antwerp, and I've been informed that one of the first things we will do once in Amsterdam is head for a coffee shop. (Apropos of nothing, this will be my first trip beyond North America. A charter tour to Paris in my senior year of high school was canceled, and I didn't get the shots I needed in time for a church trip to the Osaka World's Fair back in '72. I'm crossing my fingers this time.)

Katie--you never told us what you pigged out on when the munchies struck.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thank god/ess I have a boss who doesn't mind if I surf the web, and is used to hearing odd snarky laugh sounds coming from my desk, otherwise I'd be in sheep dit! ROTFLMAO, indeed! :biggrin:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

A good friend of mine plans to take me to Amsterdam and Antwerp, and I've been informed that one of the first things we will do once in Amsterdam is head for a coffee shop. 

Good luck on that.... I read recently that Amsterdam is going to or already has passed legislation not allowing anyone but Hollanders to purchase in those "coffee shops" anymore because too many people (mostly Europeans) keep coming to Amsterdam for those same reasons you were looking forward to.

doc

I didn't read this whole thread, but I just met someone who made pot ice cream and said it was really good. IIRC, they infused the pot into the cream and then made the ice cream out of that. It was bright green and he said it "did the job".

Also, someone made pot butter that turned green as well and someone made brownies from it. Apparently it was so strong that someone threw up after eating it.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Recently discovered munchie foods:

- Nutella spread on unsalted butter, spread on good bread.

- Honey-sweetened Chai (Indian spiced black tea) with milk.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

What is it that they say about the 70's.... "If you remember them, you weren't there."

And I recall a time when I always had lots of brownies in the freezer. Thought I was so terribly clever.

:cool:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

When i lived in Pt. St. Lucie,Fl. from 84-86 there was a cow pasture about 2 blocks from my house that you could literally stuff a garbage bag full of magical mushrooms,well we made shroom tea and preceded to watch "The Wall",worst and last trip of my life.I seriously thought i was having a nervous break down and spent 6 hours in my room traumatized with images of goose stepping hammers and such.lol good old days my ass :wink:

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

Do shrooms provide munchie type cravings?

I am unfamiliar with this with regard to shrooms...

But a some quality spliffage will almost always remedy a bad shroomy experiene...

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

But a some quality spliffage will almost always remedy a bad shroomy experiene...

Psychadelics 101: Set & Setting

If you're on a bad trip, pot will only help to magnify it.

A change of scenery probably would have helped. Nature (trees) used to help me get my head straight.

College years. Ended up at a tea party, figured an all natural experience..yea, I know, mushrooms growing in cow shit is about as natural as you can get... anyway, one word. snakes.

Doc, I can relate. since having to quit my legal smokes and after a liberal holdiay season I've gone back to my drug of choice. It helps to be self employed. The family (unknowingly!) reaps the benefits because now I am really food focused and most importantly can COOK WHAT EVER I CRAVE AT THE TIME! I've noticed themes on the weekends. all dessert supper...breakfast supper....God, gotta have mexican supper.

This altered state is also the best one to be in for planning your spring garden. Anyone ever heard of Horney Goat Weed? They won't let you buy the plant, but they'll send you the extract!! he he..told you my family was happy! ('will you still love me tomorrow' playing in my head!))

( i just posted this under another thread, how the hell did that happen?)