• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

marijuana food

dankphishin

wow...........i started an awesome thread! some more thoughts.

when we were still in high school, my friend Joe brandished an arizona iced tea bottle and invited me to sample the contents. we ended up finishing the bottle before first period. it was the most potent weed tea i'd ever had! (he was known for the quality of his stash, stuff that couldn't be purchased at the time, purple indica type stuff) we were pretty useless the whole day. fortunately, my teachers were used to me being high all the time and didn't hassle me.

i thought of some more stuff to eat when high:

chinese buffet.

those big bags of frozen fruit.

smoked salmon.

venison jerky and lots of water.

breaded morels (once a year treat)

"yes i'm all lit up again"

Also while in college -- very late one night during my junior year -- I found my roommate's girlfriend in our kitchen eating a stick of butter while standing naked in front of the open refrigerator.  I was speechless. 

Because she was naked or because she was eating a stick of butter? :hmmm:

It was the butter -- and how much she seemed to be enjoying it -- that really got my attention.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Holy cats Batman! Consomme marijuana! :laugh: This is a great thread.

Me, I'm easy to please. When semi-stoned, I like:

Pizza

Hummous

Ruffles potato chips with Philadelphia cream cheese

Edy's Dreamery New York Style Cheesecake ice cream

Boursin and crackers

A huge whopper of a sandwich, made by my sister, which is an onion bagel containing tomatoes, avocado, Havarti, sprouts or arugula--whichever is around, cheddar, Dijon mustard, and mayo

Stuffing

Toast, peanut butter, and strawberry jelly

Cold pesto noodles

Barbecue chips

When very stoned, I like:

Cold lasagna

Rice Chex, 2% milk, and sugar--2 or 3 bowls, that shit is light

Court TV

Cold pepperoni

McDonald's apple pie or lo-fat vanilla ice cream cone

Dinty Moore beef stew

White Cheddar Cheez-Its

Ramen noodles (Chicken flavor) with Crema Mexicana, preferably, although sour cream will do in a pinch

Grilled Sardines

Not that I get stoned. Ever.

EDIT to say I'm not stoned right now, either. :biggrin:

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

eggs over easy, saltines, hot pepper relish

reuben, extra kraut, add onions

fake tan

(malibu rum, diet coke, lime wedge)

fritos tossed in texas pete

fritos crumbled into onion dip and eaten with a spoon

crack four eggs onto frozen pizza, bake

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

Brownies.  You taste nothing but brownie either.

I will say nothing more.

I respectfully disagree.

You don't get a full-on dose of pot kicking you in the tastebuds, but it's definately there. The way the flavours intermingle is quite nice, chocolate, with a distinct and inviting herbacious edge.

The first time I made pot brownies, I thought one tasted great. Two was better. Three was just to die for. I don't remember if I ate a fourth.

I was very confused when I woke up the next morning, wondering just how and when I had gotten myself into bed. The pot-brownie hangover is a ferocious beast, indeed.

Katie: :laugh:

Al Dente: I lived in Holland for three years. Between the pannekoeken (sp?), the frites, and the shawarma, I couldn't have been happier.

Personal note: Cereal, cold or hot, was my all-time favourite munchie food. :smile:

Kenny: What do you guys want?

Brian: Get some sour cream and onion chips with some dip man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter, get some haagen daz ice cream bars, whole lotta Ha.. make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate man, some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with the marshmellows, the little marshmellows and little chocolate bars and we'll make some smores man.

Scareface: Yeah thats what I'm saying yo.

Brian: Also celery, grape jelly, uh captain crunch with the little crunch berries, pizzas, we need 2 to big pizzas man, with everything on them with water, whole lotta water and....... Funnyons. Yeaaaaah.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Speaking of cooking with substances I was tempted to try making truffles from some psilocybin mushroom odds & ends I have lying around from a long past Dead Show. Thought made I could ground them up really well and mix in with the cream. Think that would work?

The one variety of mushrooms that taste terrible.

I agree with Busboy on this one. Once, in a particularly uninspired moment, we put some on a pizza, but I recall the results were disappointing in both the culinary and psychedelic aspects.

We used to keep them frozen in the belief that would better maintain their potency, but it also made them somewhat easier to swallow. Otherwise, when thawed they quite resembled oysters in consistency.

SB (doesn't really care for oysters anymore either)

actually it does work if you do the following:

leave the caps whole, place on parchment and cover them in chocolate.

refrigerate until the chocolate hardens.

flip them over and cover them again.

refrigerate.

repeat a few times.

the key is to get so much chocolate on there that it will melt and so thoroughly cover the inside of your mouth that you can chew the little bugger up and swallow it without that horrid taste ever getting near your delicate tongue.

but for the love of god, and i speak from experience, if you are going to store them, LABEL THEM CLEARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

but for the love of god, and i speak from experience, if you are going to store them, LABEL THEM CLEARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need more on this.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We need more on this.

Mm-kay.

Don't use sugar cubes, in your afternoon tea, that you have discovered wrapped tightly in tinfoil in the freezer.

Not because you were searching. Because you were out of sugar, and your prankster roomie thought he would point those out to you when he saw the bag was empty. :blink:

Not funny.

Don't use sugar cubes,  in your afternoon tea, that you have discovered wrapped tightly in tinfoil in the freezer. 

We used to get MDA (the more powerful precursor of ecstacy) on Tums tablets.

Now THAT could have been produced a real surprise effect!

SB (your tummyache wouldn't matter for a while anyway)

Can't believe this thread, maaaaannnnnn...

I haven't smoked for a good 9 years or so now, but this is making me reflect on some cool memories.

A- When I was a late teen, my fave 'smoked' munchies were a Dr. Pepper, a foul sub (in a cello bag), a bag of cheese doodles or some BBQ chips ( fritos, sometimes) and to finish off, this AWESOME ice cream cake that was in an ice cream container, all courtesy of 7-11's in the DC/Md. area.

B- One time, I was making a record with this this French band in Bath, in the UK, when the maintainance guy for the studio I was in, having just arrived back from Amsterdam with a bunch of Thai stick ( which I had never tried before) got us SO screwed up, that I had to raid the kitchen, eating toast with p-nut butter( that cool english 'toasting' bread), Hob-Nobs cookies, everything I could, just to get unstoned enough to go to sleep!

THAT was some intense shit, dude!

C- With same French band, 14 months later, deep in the Southwest of France this time, in another studio, the drummer and , ahem, a 'friend 'of the band, prepared a wonderful marinara sauce for calamari, liberally laced with hash.

The band, a great bunch of guys, were all laughing , telling me I was going to get screwed up, which I threw back at them.

The drummer, Denis, said to me as I ate my first bite of said calamari, 'Bon Soir, le petit ( my nickname to them, I'm a short guy), I'm telling them to get bent, I'm staying up all night, blahblahblah...

After dinner, we're all sitting in the lounge, in front of the fireplace.

Suddenly, I realize I haven't moved in an hour.

I force myself up, stumble to my room, where I collapse, fully clothed, for the next 18 hours.

GREAT calamari

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

2317/5000

• 6 months later...

When you go buy beer or wine or so, you gotta make a pit stop and buy some really nice cheese and some chocolate, and some olives, and some fruit and stash it all in the bottom of the bag and totally forget them.

Late at night when you're feeling really good and hungry and everyone thinks that it can't get any better than this, reach your hand into the bag and "discover" all these treats that you forgot about before.

This really works.

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

So far away back in the day that it cannot be used against us, we assembled aberrent buffets at a friend's house, including but not limited to: baked potatoes, sandwiches, leftover pancit, ice cream sandwiches and soup. And invariably someone would discover a new recipe, like, "hey, when you take a bite of cream cheese and marshmallow cream, it tastes like cheescake." Oy.

What was I going to say?.................................

Oh yeah, munchies!

Funyuns- crunchity, munchity allll the way to the bottom of the bag, too!

Nehi- the blue kind in the bottle...mmmm, blue! And cold! And blue!!

Spicy Tillamook pepperoni- hot-stick-o'-meat...-snicker-snicker-

Assorted ten-cent candies...lemonheads, jolly ranchers, bazooka joe gum (funny comics!!), pixie stix, etc. I'm a pirate with my bag of loot!!! Arg!

String cheese- how long can you make a string without breaking it?! Wheeeeee!

Fall asleep with the Sunday newspaper funnies...they're-all-in-color!! zzzzzzzzzz

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Ah....sweet memories of youth....

My own fondest memories of the screaming munchies involved my brother, for after an evening of good food, good wine and good grass we would wind up at an ice cream parlor in Harvard Square, there entering and telling whatever person even younger than we who was working the ice-cream counter to make us chocolate sundaes - three scoops of chocolate ice cream, lots of hot fudge, lots of whipped cream, a cherry on the top (of course). When he/she would ask us how many sundaes we wanted we would simply respond "You start makng them. We'll tell you when to stop" Five sundaes each usually did the trick ... well, until about two in the morning when we were again at our respective apartments munching peanut butter straight from the jar (chunky for him but smooth for me,thankyou)

Best and smiling

Rogov

That was GOOD, Episure!

Which reminds me of the bhang lassi stand in Benares where they shake a wad of ganja with yogurt into a very potent milkshake. I broke out in hives, but otherwise it was a pretty mellow afternoon on the burning ghats...

The other night, we had Midleton's Very Rare Irish Whisky (triple distilled by the fine folk in Ireland who make Jameson's) with Belgian milk chocolate.

Powerful.

And yes, there was Hendrix playing in the background.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

My favorite experience in the mid-80's was a (few) trips (ha!) to Miss Brown's Cafe in beautiful Negril Beach, Jamaica. Bless her soul, Miss Brown baked some of the Island's most potent & tastiest treats ... her ganja cakes were spicy, moist & sweet. You wash one (or more if you dare!) down with some magic mushroom tea & you're in sweet raggae Jamaica heaven & I still have the pictures to prove it (& they WILL follow me to my grave). I wonder if Miss Brown's shack still exists - anyone?

Great topic, made me nostalgic for younger days...

Latvians (and I'm sure other eastern Europeans) make hemp butter, from hemp seeds, very tasty, similar to peanut butter. Of course, being made from hemp the THC is non-existant, however the packaging usually has a very pretty leaf pictured on the label, identical to a pot leaf. I brought some back with me on my last trip, was wondering if customs would catch it.

They do, however, recognise that at special times even hemp can be useful. There are folksongs advising young girls to stay out of the hemp fields when they are in bloom...

The latest New Yorker (Sept. 6, the food issue, wonderful reading) also mentions cooking with marijuana. In a great article on pasta the author discusses one of the oldest existing Italian books on cooking (1645), that contains:

"a recipe for boiled cannabis meatballs (offa cannabina), a dish "to be fled from, for it nourishes badly, arouses squeamishness, generates pain in the stomach and intestines, and dulls the eyes" There are a few other cannabis recipes, too, evoking fifteenth century stoners loitering in the Vatican Library"

Sveiki

Burlington, Canada

I am often mesmerized by the smell of a good jar of chiba. I have been known to simply take the lid off of a friends stash and inhale the fragrance happily for time unending. With a smell that nice there has to be some useful culinary application.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Okay... once in my youth I attended a party where no one actually smoked-up, but there were several dozen hashish brownies. I did not eat any. However, a friend of mine, a 6'8" former Episcopal priest, was apparently not aware of the drug-content and ate several.

After he insisted on providing everyone with "communion wafers" made from white bread, and chasing the host around in a steeplechase over various fences, he sat down and polished off the remainder of the buffet. At that time there was a whole roast chicken, a half-gallon of potato salad, and gods know what else left. But it was a LOT.

So my theory on the muchies has been that it really doesn't matter WHAT so much as HOW F---N' MUCH.

Also... nothing like a Giant Stoned Priest to liven up an evening. :laugh::laugh:

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman