• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

marijuana food

dankphishin

I never get the munchies. Well that should be past tense, my smoking days are over, well if I'm at a party and it's just there.  :rolleyes:  I have no discipline.

Anyway, highschool. We were partying. Bong and some joints. One guy was smoking Thai buds...um... a little while later he's drinking the bong water!  :blink: Would that qualify as a "marijuana munchie"?  :huh:

No, but it would qualify as a 'this is your brain on drugs' moment!

Is the stuff from Humboldt still the best in Cali *sigh*  :biggrin:

The best outdoor bud probably does come from Humboldt, Mendocino and Shasta. But nowadays, geography is completely irrelevant, because so many people have moved to an indoor grow, and you can grow the same freakishly potent doobage whether you live in Alaska or Cali.

I had some hydroponically grown stuff in Tejas. At least that's what I was told. :blink: WOW. Potent stuff. I'm old fashioned I like the mellow high, smoke it slow throughout the day. :wink:

I remember back in the day my buddy and I knew where the biggest, richest most lucious wild strawberry patch was located. It was so prolific you could not sit or kneel without getting stained with the juice.

We would twist up a couple doobs and head off to said berry patch with a couple of low slung aluminum folding beach chairs. Talk about paradise on a late spring day! Warm sunny buzz with unlimited grazing on wild strawberies, taking care of munchies and dry mouth at the same time!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I vividly remember the munchies from my first time getting high in my best friend's garage:

Orangina

Salt'n'Vinegar Potato Chips

Mallo Cups

Sweet Tarts

Thirteen-year-olds are junk food geniuses.

I wonder if anyone else has had experiences cooking while blazed? I have made a few really memorable things, including a chopped salad that contained chick peas, salami, green olives, smoked mozzarella, parsley, fennel, shallots, and home-made croutons dressed in lemony vinaigrette (cooking time 1 hour of fussy chopping trying to make everything into precisely 1 cm cubes,) and a sandwich of chicken sauted in butter with fresh sage leaves, caramelized onions, fontina cheese, and very reduced apple cider on toasted fennel/golden raisin/semolina bread. My cooking style is definitely different when weed bowl is around -- I chop everything very precisely, and rather than planning exactly what I am going to make at the beginning, I start with a basic idea like "mmm, toast" and then spend an hour going back to the cupboard/fridge adding more and more levels of complexity until I get the sandwich described above, which took 1 1/2 hours to make and was absolutely delicious.

One advantage to making complicated food when you're stoned is that by the time the food is ready, the buzz has usually worn off enough so that the food tastes like its proper self. If I eat high, unless the food is Salt'N'Vinegar potato chips (esp of the Pringle variety), any subtlety of flavor is lost on my tastebuds.

Eating on hallucinogens is another thing completely. Ooof. That blueberry waffle was... very interesting.

• 1 year later...

I had to pull this thread back to add: szechuan peppercorns (preferably eaten plain, by the handful). Especially if followed by ginger ale. The sensation is almost overwhelming.

Pretty much anything texturally interesting though, since it's both increased appreciation of taste and physical sensation. Pudding, raw fish, avocado, really spicy Korean food, dim sum, egg nog, scrambled eggs, wine, raw garlic/ginger...

It may come as no surprise that I've been known to twist up a fun-log and smoke it from end to end. Lately I've been subject to UA; and since I refuse to lose my demeaning, low-paying back-breaking job because of my drug use, I'm off the weed. Kind of like a biker being in between bikes, I'm a stoner in between joints.

Two things:

First, if smoking it--or the idea of smoking it--bothers you, remember that something like 95% of the carcinogenic compounds in the smoke are water-soluble. Just run the smoke through a water bath (hookah, nargilh, or your favorite bong) and you're golden.

Two: The munchies. I think they're your bodies reaction to some ancient, seldom-used stimulus. Michael Pollan talks about this a little in Omnivore's Dilemma, in the chapters where he's foraging for a meal. Apparently there are cannabinoid receptor sites in your brain that are active only when you're stoned (or something like that). Hunting will also cause your brain chemistry to change a little. My theory is that as we evolved from hunter-gatherers, we kept this useful bit of anatomy; and now, when you get stoned, your brain "thinks" it just went hunting--and now it's hungry. Interestingly enough, thoroughly satisfying the munchies really kills the buzz. Stay hungry, man.

I think one of the funniest things I ever saw was when my friend Rocky and I decided we were going to try to smoke a quarter ounce of Trainwreck in one day. Yeoman effort, and we almost made it. We would have, except Rocky decided he wanted some spicy food. He ate an entire gallon jar of pickled jalapenos.

He didn't leave his house for three days. At one point, he just wrapped a towel around his waist and swaddled both hands in bumwad, so as to save time. "Hey, Rocky's got his shitmittens on again!!"

I think his girlfriend broke up with him over the episode.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

I had to pull this thread back to add: szechuan peppercorns (preferably eaten plain, by the handful). Especially if followed by ginger ale. The sensation is almost overwhelming.

Wow, that's like a bizarre pop-rocks thing!!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

god, twenty years ago someone in the group announced, "if you wrap cream cheese around a marshmallow, it's like, instant cheesecake."

Cut to four losers in Motherdear's kitchen attempting to 'wrap cream cheese' around things..........we soon gave up and went back to eating ice cream sammiches and imbibing cold duck with spackled fingers.

There was a good week for cold duck in April of '87, as I recall :smile:

A question I ask from time to time, hoping oh so much that it will trigger a memory in someone...

Does anybody remember a "pudding" product that was a big munchie favorite in the late 60's and early 70's? It was sold in the supermarket in plastic tubs, and the traditional method of enjoying it was to pass the tub around with a spoon in it. But then we all discovered that apparently something in saliva made it break down, and so with the repeated dipping of the communal spoon into it, at one point it went from hit-the-spot pudding to a strange mess.

Does anybody remember the name of this product?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

So far away back in the day that it cannot be used against us, we assembled aberrent buffets at a friend's house, including but not limited to: baked potatoes, sandwiches, leftover pancit, ice cream sandwiches and soup.  And invariably someone would discover a new recipe, like, "hey, when you take a bite of cream cheese and marshmallow cream, it tastes like cheescake." Oy.

The other day my girlfriend wanted some vanilla pudding, so i was dipping pringles cinnamon sweet potato chips in it. Fried Icecream to the T it was amazing, exactly the same texture and all, just less cold. Ate it all in a sitting...

So far away back in the day that it cannot be used against us, we assembled aberrent buffets at a friend's house, including but not limited to: baked potatoes, sandwiches, leftover pancit, ice cream sandwiches and soup.  And invariably someone would discover a new recipe, like, "hey, when you take a bite of cream cheese and marshmallow cream, it tastes like cheescake." Oy.

:laugh: SEE! RRIGHT THERE IS A LESSON FOR ALL THE KIDDIES: Excessive mary use leads to ummm.............

..............Oh Yes! Exessive short term memory loss! Pardon me whilst I mosey back over to the cheese sexion.

Almost as fun as the munchies is making pot-laced food. You can get pretty creative if you think hard enough, a small amount of butter can be put into pretty much anything. Despite the stereotype I've never actually had pot brownies. I think it matches better with savory dishes, particularly strongly flavored ones such as: pot stickers with butter in the filling (pun intended), oil-based Vietnamese soup mix = pot pho, pot scampi, coq au vin (whisked into the sauce at the end), etc. I've been thinking about "special" hollandaise or maybe some pot buttered rum.

Edited by jkonick (log)

Dennis Leary once said, 'marijuana doesn't lead to other drugs; it leads to fuckin' carpentry, okay???' I have made smoking utensils out of apples (classic), potatoes (ditto), assorted beverage cans with strategic dents and a couple holes punched in them; carrots, yams, and on one memorable occasion a veal shank bone left over from osso bucco.

But he might have been wrong; maybe marijuana is a gateway drug to culinary leaps of genius!

Jkonick, you absolutely must try pot pot pie. Easy to use. Warm water cleanup.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

I have to participate, I couldn't stop reading this thread!

Since my husband, unfortunately, suffers from random drug testing at his job, I am limited to partaking only when I vacation in Jamaica. We try to do that, at least twice a year, with a buncha friends. Always back to the same resort in Negril, our second home. I swear, they have bottles of sake, and bags of good Jamaican sticky ready when we hop off the plane.

I must add to the pot brownies theme, and mention pot chocolate chip cookies. Somehow, they're even better than brownies. Something about melty chocolate, with that greenish herbal bitter edge...you really want to eat the whole batch. It's amazing. You eat one cookie, and feel fine and functional for two hours, so you eat another one. Then it creeps up slowly...and keeps creeping and creeping, till the whole world is tilted, and brighter than it should be. Till the waiters are all Jamaican FBI agents, and they're out to get you. Till all you can do is sit on the beach swing with your head buried in a pillow, praying the trees stop staring. Man, that was the best cookie, ever. Whoever said you keep getting more and more messed up, was so right, just when you think you're as far gone as you can be...you go a little further.

As far as munchies? Since we're always in Jamaica, at a resort, we belly up to the "greasy shack" and literally order "one of everything" Omar or Fitzroy, whoever was working, would put down a line of red plastic baskets in front of us, and fill them first with slices of pizza, then a small pile of jerk chicken, then he would check to see if we were still upright, and dole out cheeseburgers, then quesadillas...some of us are gone, laying in the sand, or back to the room by then...some of us are waiting patiently for the second course (by waiting patiently, I mean talking animatedly about leprechauns, cats, the tile pattern on the counter, jellyfish, things, grapefruits, stuff, singing TV theme songs, starting sentences, losing stuff, maybe finishing sentences...you understand, I'm sure). Patties, nachos, hot dogs, and then pastries. There is always a huge pastry tray somewhere on the resort, and the few of our crew left standing, always hits that thing like locusts. Always with drinks in hand. Double Absolut and cranberry for me. Very soothing on a smoky throat.

Those are our nightime forays, a longstanding tradition.

We often get up in the morning, and start over again fresh. The best daytime munchies, in the tropical heat are anything icy and sweet, ice cream, slushies, daquiris, cold fruit.

Since my husband, unfortunately, suffers from random drug testing at his job, I am limited to partaking only when I vacation in Jamaica.  We try to do that, at least twice a year, with a buncha friends.  Always back to the same  resort in Negril, our second home.  I swear, they have bottles of sake, and bags of good Jamaican sticky ready when we hop off the plane . . .

Now this whole story sounds like a little piece of paradise. :cool:

All right, I confess, I read the whole thread word for word....couldn't help myself, it brought back some creat memories (and possibly inspired the creation of some new ones). But I cannot believe that no one has mentioned what I believe is truly the most effective and sensible method for butter/brownies. Using a double boiler technique, your butter would never rise above a safe temperature, therefor no danger of burning the special ingredients (an easy thing to do when otherwise occupied :raz: ) Allow this to work for an hour or so to ensure maximum extraction, then strain and mold into loaves/sticks/cubes/whatever you want. Use in any recipie involving butter or oil. NO more crunchies in your brownies. Not so great on pasta, though, if I remember correctly.

A question I ask from time to time, hoping oh so much that it will trigger a memory in someone...

Does anybody remember a "pudding" product that was a big munchie favorite in the late 60's and early 70's?  It was sold in the supermarket in plastic tubs, and the traditional method of enjoying it was to pass the tub around with a spoon in it.  But then we all discovered that apparently something in saliva made it break down, and so with the repeated dipping of the communal spoon into it, at one point it went from hit-the-spot pudding to a strange mess.

Does anybody remember the name of this product?

Kozy Shack?

For me, it was an Oreo sandwiched in potato chips. Wash, rinse, repeat. And Dr. Pepper. Lot's and lot's of Dr. Pepper.

Hubby does the random UA, and wow, has it gotten expensive vs. back in the day, or what? I suppose you can make a quality or inflation argument, but a four finger bag for 40 bucks was the norm.

Pisses my son off when he hears the stories about the good old days.

I grew up about 45 minutes from Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College. Those kids could grow dope.

when I went to temple university in ph illy I smoked a tonnnnnn and I was really poor so I ate:

nissen (sp?) top ramen chicken flavour with lots of cabbage kimchi thrown in at the end.

now, I do it once in a while and instead I eat a huge bag of cheetos with orange or grape soda.

eta: Mr. Keng Wang noted that this post is my 420th post

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

This thread is hilarious.

I wasn't really a foodie back in my smoking days. My ideal munchies was Raisin Bran. I did eat a cigarette once, but that was because I passed out drunk with an unlit cigarette in my mouth.

As a side note, I would like to point out as a public service announcement that ingestion of a large amount of nutmeg A) doesn't make you hallucinate, and B) is extremely unpleasant.

Two stoner/food memories:

The first involved pita, topped with felafel, topped with doritos, topped with chili, topped with cheddar cheese. It tasted good at the time, I think if there were plain tortilla instead of Doritos I would still like it.

The second one involves me getting a bag of crappy shake, and making pot butter out of it. I was in a flavoured popcorn phase at the time, so what could be better than pot flavoured popcorn? I've never actually tasted dogshit, but I suspect it would be better than this popcorn.

There's a reason they use chocolate to mask the flavour of pot, it tastes like moldy overcooked spinach. I was broke though, and I didn't have any other pot so my friend and I had to eat the whole thing. The flavour permeated the popcorn, and it was a huge bowl that took forever to eat. We just kept on eating, and burping moldy spinach burps. It was one of those things you could taste for hours afterword, like deep fried food where the oil hasn't been changed for months. I still laugh when I see hemp seeds in food like it's a good thing.

jsmith, I beg to differ. Hemp seeds actually ARE tasty. Not one bit like moldy spinach...I had a friend that used to eat them while breaking up a quarter...

Another "baked" good I'd like to vouch for: carrot cake with cream cheese frosting! The green flavor goes nicely with all the spices, and I find you can make it EXTREMELY potent without it tasting like grass clippings. Just make sure you make an "unspiked" version too, because once the effects kick in, you really really want another piece of cake...you might be able to get away with a 2nd piece but it's probably not wise to have a third...tried that once and was stoned for 2 days straight... :rolleyes:

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

did I miss it or does no one know about green chile cheese fries as the single best munchie food on the planet I think!!!

and of course anything curried...

for cooking we used to ..back in the day ...put a bud on a cracker and just melt cheese on top "Leary biscuit"

it worked

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet