• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local 16

babka

it was cold and I was tired and I was not looking forward to getting home to start working and the bus sped right by me, leaving me to face the icy 16th street hill in heels. Then the light changed. Across the street, Local 16 shimmered into view, an oasis promising warmth and a glass of wine with a snickie-snack to take the edge off.

Everyone was right. It's beautiful. Warm red walls with elegant mirrors, a stunning hostess in a body-skimming red dress, a shade or two lighter than the walls, and the most beautiful people I've ever seen in D.C. all crowded into one place, murmering languidly over the bar or whispering seductively over tables in the sumptious dining rooms.

as I was dressed in my purple marshmallow winter coat with my deadline-and-wool-hat crushed hair pulled into a ponytail, I turned around and looked at the door...and the ice visible behind the door...and pulled a seat at the bar and asked for the bartender's recommendations among the appetizers.

and now I know why Sietsema spends so much ink, sometimes, on a restaurant's environment. The oysters looked pretty. Their fat pillowed bodies beneath the crust exploded nicely, even if the taste was slightly, and wierdly, off. I thought coleslaw was, in general, supposed to have some vinegar mixed in with the cabbage, but maybe I'm old-fashioned. And I'm still not sure what the orange dipping sauce was supposed to be. But I think I was better off than my neighbor, who got a salad of iceberg lettuce, winter tomatoes (not sure what that local source was), and an unfortunate looking chicken on top.

The wine was very nice, though, as was the surreptitious gawking.

But next time I'm in the mood to procrastinate by working in a bar, I'll hike the extra half a block to chi-cha.

Edited by babka (log)

I could not agree with you more. I live 2 blocks from there, am a regular patron of the owners other clubs (Red, ESL, Dragonfly) so I WANT to like it.

But it sucks, sucks, sucks. The only good item was a Couscus which they no longer have.

Welcome, Mark!

I've got to say that I've only been in Dragonfly and while it's an interesting design experiment, one's opinion of it is definately a matter of taste. My wife (the graphic design manager) absolutely loves it. I start humming Reethoven's 5th and saying to myself "My beautiful Ludwig von" over and over again.

Really not a place I feel comfortable at all.

However, someday I will have to check-out Red and ESL

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

What's the matter with you people...i can't believe you went there to EAT!!!!

Let's get it straight, its a BAR. Don't go there for a dinner, go there around 10 or later to enjoy the pretty people, the outside bar in the summer is one of the best when not too crowed.

Going to local 16 to eat good food, is like going to a Football game and ordering a Filet Mignon.

Well don't just stand there......get some glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could not agree with you more. I live 2 blocks from there, am a regular patron of the owners other clubs (Red, ESL, Dragonfly) so I WANT to like it.

But it sucks, sucks, sucks. The only good item was a Couscus which they no longer have.

And worst of all: it's NOT cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Y'all are too quiet. Perhaps you're too busy getting an early start on V-day festivities...?

Anyway, I stopped by Saint Ex last night. Nice enough spot. Not "oh my gosh, the best place EVER" or anything, a good time was had by all. My gang and I sat in the downstairs lounge. Some were hungry, others were not. I had only a little appetite, perhaps due to the heavy cloud of smoke (both old and fresh). My tolerance for smoke is decreasing - not a popular sentiment around these parts, I know, but too bad.

For drinks, I started with a California Zinfandel ($8). I don't remember the details, probably because it was nothing special. Downstairs, I chose a Spanish red on special for $6. Much zingier than the Zinfandel, but kind of "whatever."

I had a burger which was served exactly as ordered (medium, cheddar). When I saw my friend's with blue cheese, I was instantly jealous, but mine was good too. Their fries (touted as frites, but nothing like what you'd get at, say, Bistrot du Coin) were very tasty - crunchy and flavorful - but I didn't like their "homemade" ketchup. Tasted a touch like marinara sauce, didn't have any bite.

Upstairs is more like a traditional neighborhood restaurant as opposed to the downstairs bar/lounge-with-dj.