• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer abuse

john b

So I wander in to a nearby liquor store, which has been around for years, but has recently built a brand new huge store on the rear of their property and knocked down the old building. They installed a long row of brand spanking new refrigerated beer shelves. Looks nice so far...but then I notice the lights :shock:

Big, bright fluorescent lights line each level of shelves. :hmmm:

The Victory Prima Pils looks at me with big puppy dog eyes and a look of distress :sad: . He's begging , "Save me from the light!" The Pilsner Urqell is pleading, "Put me in the dark. I can't take it anymore!" I respond, "Sorry pals, mean Mr. Light already done you in."

I just don't get it. New store, pretty nice selection of beer and wine (I ended up buying a bottle of Ommegang Three Philosophers and a four pack of Dogfish Head Au Courant from the regular, unlit, unrefrigerated shelves), but they are destroying their beer.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Criminal!

Beer in cans, or still in cardboard packaging should probably be OK - the cold storage will do them good. But it wouldn't take long for anything in a bottle exposed to that light to start getting skunky, even with a good turnover of the product.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson