• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restroom Door Signs

Holly Moore

At a local outdoor event there were hired portable loos.

In the mens urinal trailer, just at eye height it read

"For this relief we give much thanks to <name of hire company>"

WHich I guess takes us onto graffiti. Written on the ceiling

"You are now peeing on your shoes"

Not sure if I want to be responsible for starting a Bathroom Graffiti thread :unsure: so I'll just pick up here since I've been reminded of some really good ones by this other post.

In men's rooms (I've been told):

"Players with shorter bats must stand closer to the plate"

[way above the urinal in smallish letters]

"What are you looking up here for. The joke is in your hand"

In a women's restroom at my alma mater, University of Pennsylvania.

In response to a printed sign on the paper towel dispenser that read:

"One towel dries BOTH hands" someone wrote:

"Yeah - but for $22,000 per year I'll take TWO, thanks!"

:laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Hell, I can't always even remember the Male and Female arrow symbols.

Yeah, that's my story, too. :cool:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

There's a restaurant in DC that leaves the doors to the bathrooms wide open. (you have to turn a corner, when you go in them, so there is total privacy) The doors are labeled, but since they are wide open, you can't see the name, but the mens room door and jamb is painted BRIGHT blue, and the ladies room door and jamb is BRIGHT pink. There is no guessing which is which.

BUT -- it never fails that some woman walks in the men's room, because it is the closest!

CBGBs is pure trial and error.   :unsure: The only things on the doors are more of those band stickers that are on every other surface there.  If you walk in and see a urinal, well then you know where you are.

i don't even recall *any* doors on the men's room at CBGBs. maybe a curtain. either way, best to hold it.

oh my.

oh look, the ladies room!

Edited by tommy (log)

CBGBs is pure trial and error.   :unsure: The only things on the doors are more of those band stickers that are on every other surface there.  If you walk in and see a urinal, well then you know where you are.

i don't even recall *any* doors on the men's room at CBGBs. maybe a curtain. either way, best to hold it.

oh my.

The first time I went there, I asked my friend to point me to the ladies' room. He said, uh, we'll leave and I'll take you someplace else, you can't go here. I laughed and said that was simply ridiculous and went off and found it for myself.

:blink:

I should have listened to him...

You're killing me, Tommy! They are worse than I remembered! You have to be drunk or otherwise altered to have the courage to *go* there.

Edited to say that while there are no doors for the individual urinals, I do think I remember a door to the men's room itself because I noticed the lack of a sign and wandered in there. To my horror :shock:

Edited by elivesay (log)

• 3 weeks later...
Upstairs..."Men" and "Women" with attendent hands pointing to the opposite door. Separates the locals from the tourists quite effecively. Well, it was funny the first time. Less so later. :rolleyes:

Also at Maguire's in Pensacola, Florida.

Very interesting place, this. On your first visit you sign a dollar bill, there's a bit of a ceremony, and then you staple it to the wall, ceiling, etc. Hundreds of thousands of dollar bills, supposedly. The ceiling is so thick in places that it's hard to staple.

They also have the last case of Tullamore Dew in a glass case--always loved to see this as it was my grandfather's "special" whiskey.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

My personal favorite are the family/handicapped bathrooms. First, there are the lovely stick figure children, all of which I would be proud carry around in wallet-sized pictures. Second, it's the first time I've ever seen my family represented on a bathroom door, as my mother is confined to a wheelchair and my father and I can walk. (There's usually a wheelchair with an adult and child stick figure.)

As far as bathroom graffiti, I went to Duke, so basically every bathroom had "UNC diploma--take one" written over the TP dispenser. Sub in any other college rivalry you like.

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders